Anyone have a better workout when they feel crappy?

JLT

Awards
I have noticed a weird trend over time with myself. If I feel amped up to workout and feel like I'm going to set all sorts of personal records, I usually have a mediocre or crappy workout. On the flip-side, if I just want to stay home or overall feel tired and crappy, I usually set personal records and have some of the best workouts ever. I have talked to a couple other people in the gym and they have said the same thing. Anyone else experience this?

Shane0Mac

Awards
maybe when you are all amped up the workout doesnt live up to your expectations. I feel good if i have pretty much forced myself to go to the gym because i know i did something good instead of lying around all day, but nothing beats working out when your mad as hell i find

JLT

Awards
maybe when you are all amped up the workout doesnt live up to your expectations. I feel good if i have pretty much forced myself to go to the gym because i know i did something good instead of lying around all day, but nothing beats working out when your mad as hell i find
Yeah I think that is definitely part of it, but I seem to physically lift more weight when I'm feeling crappy compared to when I feel on top of it.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Sometimes that happens when I work 16 hours. I think its just a mental barrier

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL, yup!

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
crappy as in sick = no
crappy as in worked all day = sometimes, i have pretty active job sometimes its hard to get the best workout in at the end of the day..
crappy as in just got dumped, having girl problems, or anything like that = Beastly workouts

But i see my best consistency on days im off work, just get on here and read if i have nothing else to do and am always rested up for the gym and ready to go..

10bathroomsO

10bathroomsO

Awards
  • Established
I work out best when im bored and dont really feel like it, i'll pace around the house a couple laps looking for something to do then ill head outside and get to lifting and before i know it ive done turned a radio up to 30 and i got my shirt off striking poses ( jk on the pose thing, i have no desire to be a pro body builder, just get beasty )

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
I agree, but I think it's just because when I feel crappy I try to work twice as hard and strict to make up for it.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
I have my best work outs if someone pisses me off.

I tend to avoid heavy workouts if tired or crappy feeling because that seems to be whenever I hurt myself really badly.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
A couple years ago I was a young man filled with anger and pain....I still have not had workouts as good as those were, I even try to make myself angry by thinking of all the things that hurt back then, and still do...Guess once a heart decides to forgive its hard to get as angry again.

And feeling physically crappy, like tired? Yes a couple of my best all time workouts was when I felt I would barely be able to do anything, then somehow I was making PRs...

RedneckDB

Awards
I find that general anger and frustration stemming from every day life ie work/relationship/money trouble etc fuel some awesome work outs, if I'm not able to feel any anger it makes it difficult to have as satisfying a workout for me

redih

Awards
I find that general anger and frustration stemming from every day life ie work/relationship/money trouble etc fuel some awesome work outs, if I'm not able to feel any anger it makes it difficult to have as satisfying a workout for me
This is the same for me. It helps me think through my workouts etc.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have noticed a weird trend over time with myself. If I feel amped up to workout and feel like I'm going to set all sorts of personal records, I usually have a mediocre or crappy workout. On the flip-side, if I just want to stay home or overall feel tired and crappy, I usually set personal records and have some of the best workouts ever. I have talked to a couple other people in the gym and they have said the same thing. Anyone else experience this?
There is some truth to that perception. When you're tired or exhausted, you tend to be able to focus that much more, in other words no wasted movement or energy. For me, Mondays are the worst because my sleep pattern changes throughout the weekend, so come Monday morning, I've probably slept very little and it's back to the office, as exhausted as I was this morning, I think for the most part that I had a great workout.