Assualt...

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I just need to vent, hoping talking about it will help....

July 3rd I was working in the hospital, I jumped into help with a restraint on a 13 yr old female, out of control behavior nothing I have not dealt with a 100 times before, 3 men have her on the ground on her back, I jump into help and she kicks me in my face ( i grabbed a arm) and than she somehow managed to bite me 2 times. I see blood pouring on the floor and say "who's bleeding".. thinking one of the guys is, and than I taste the blood, realizing it's me.... I NEVER let go, someone calls a code grey,I still hold on....

Finally help comes and they see me, nose busted, cut on face, HUGE welts where she had bitten me, they take me off the floor, call a rescue to send me to the hospital ( medical) to make sure I am ok..... the patient at this point has been medicated, she walks past where I am and smiles..... I almost threw up.....

I go to the ER, get a shot for the bite, get antibiotics just in case, and they x ray my face, fractured cheek bone, ....I call my sister, she comes to get me..... out of work for 3 days......

I go back and I look BAD, kids asking me "what the hell happend"...I told them i got into a car accident, no one needed to know.......

I thought I was ok, I can't sleep, I see this girl's face, I am forgetting words, saying the wrong words, I feel stupid..... I feel foggy.....

I'm not allowed to press charges due to my profession, but my thought is BS, this was not someone who was having a flashback or someone who was seeing or hearing things this was a attack on me, with no remorse....

<sigh>................ Anyway I don't expect much, just felt like i needed to vent.... so thanks...

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just need to vent, hoping talking about it will help....

July 3rd I was working in the hospital, I jumped into help with a restraint on a 13 yr old female, out of control behavior nothing I have not dealt with a 100 times before, 3 men have her on the ground on her back, I jump into help and she kicks me in my face ( i grabbed a arm) and than she somehow managed to bite me 2 times. I see blood pouring on the floor and say "who's bleeding".. thinking one of the guys is, and than I taste the blood, realizing it's me.... I NEVER let go, someone calls a code grey,I still hold on....

Finally help comes and they see me, nose busted, cut on face, HUGE welts where she had bitten me, they take me off the floor, call a rescue to send me to the hospital ( medical) to make sure I am ok..... the patient at this point has been medicated, she walks past where I am and smiles..... I almost threw up.....

I go to the ER, get a shot for the bite, get antibiotics just in case, and they x ray my face, fractured cheek bone, ....I call my sister, she comes to get me..... out of work for 3 days......

I go back and I look BAD, kids asking me "what the hell happend"...I told them i got into a car accident, no one needed to know.......

I thought I was ok, I can't sleep, I see this girl's face, I am forgetting words, saying the wrong words, I feel stupid..... I feel foggy.....

I'm not allowed to press charges due to my profession, but my thought is BS, this was not someone who was having a flashback or someone who was seeing or hearing things this was a attack on me, with no remorse....

<sigh>................ Anyway I don't expect much, just felt like i needed to vent.... so thanks...
I've been in similar situations many times, Heidi. I can certainly relate. The ER is a code grey "playground" at times. I've seriously grown tired of fighting with the drunks and psych patients over the years. Thank god day shift doesn't see anywhere near the volume of them.

I'm not sure what the law is up in Rhode Island, but down here in Florida any assault on a health care professional is a 3rd degree felony. I've pressed charges before, and I would again. I realize this is a 13-year-old girl, but many of these people know damn well what they're doing; juvenile or not...

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow. I can't imagine what the situation would be like. Fortunately I've never had anything like that happen to me. I don't feel that it is right to NOT be able to take her to court. An assault is an assault, no matter if it is considered to be a job-related hazard or not. Police can file assault charges on those who attack them, so why not everybody else while they are on the clock?

Perhaps if you can't file anything criminal you could file a civil suit and sue for physical and emotional damages? Sure, at this point in the young girl's life her parents or guardians would be the ones to pay, but it might be worth it if for nothing else but to have some closure to the situation.

For now, pray, meditate, lift, or whatever you do to clear your mind and find inner peace. Don't ever dwell on the past. What's done is done, and we should always live in the moment with an eye on the future. Be happy, and I hope you heal inside and out.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I've been in similar situations many times, Heidi. I can certainly relate. The ER is a code grey "playground" at times. I've seriously grown tired of fighting with the drunks and psych patients over the years. Thank god day shift doesn't see anywhere near the volume of them.

I'm not sure what the law is up in Rhode Island, but down here in Florida any assault on a health care professional is a 3rd degree felony. I've pressed charges before, and I would again. I realize this is a 13-year-old girl, but many of these people know damn well what they're doing; juvenile or not...
hey john, thanks for the advice, i could press charges but I "can't"... I was told i could but i have seen people do things like this and were let go for some BS thing 3 months later. So I am trying to work through it, i see that face in my sleep, every night i have the same dream, her attacking me.....and my words, something is def off with me, I say things I don't mean to say, when I say them I know its the wrong word, but I still say it....I made myself go back, I knew if I waited I would not... Im not a weak person, or scared but well i'm always on high alert these days, even out of work, i see people in a different way, a way that I might get hurt, i don't talk to people, i don't call people back, or email back, I just don't..... i hope time will heal and help me move on.....

luelinks

luelinks

Awards
  • Established
hey john, thanks for the advice, i could press charges but I "can't"... I was told i could but i have seen people do things like this and were let go for some BS thing 3 months later. So I am trying to work through it, i see that face in my sleep, every night i have the same dream, her attacking me.....and my words, something is def off with me, I say things I don't mean to say, when I say them I know its the wrong word, but I still say it....I made myself go back, I knew if I waited I would not... Im not a weak person, or scared but well i'm always on high alert these days, even out of work, i see people in a different way, a way that I might get hurt, i don't talk to people, i don't call people back, or email back, I just don't..... i hope time will heal and help me move on.....
Track the b!tch down and punch her in the face! Ok thats a bad idea. um...you should be ok just get something to get your mind off of things. When things go sh!ty for me I buy something or find a new thing new to do, something that gets me existed. Something that every day I can't wait to wake up to do. Like I bought the official 2010 world cup ball and now I can't wait everyday to go outside and practice. It might sound stupid but it works for me!

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this is the nature of the beast in your chosen profession... unfortunate but a reality. The little bit we talked on here you made it very clear you chose to be a nurse to help people, you love to help people, well obviously this girl needs help too and sometimes being the person there trying to help is going to get messy. Its not right, its not fair, but its not why you do what you. Time will heel the wounds to your face and the constant reminder of what happened when you look in the mirror. time will put your mind at ease and you will learn from this. But dont get down and lose sight of why you do what you do. you are making a difference.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
IMO, I believe you are suffering from "The Heroes Dilemma ". You are trying to serve, yet the very people you are trying to help and protect are your worst enemies. It plays on the strings of the human psyche, and when tweaked just right can cause ripples. Ripples in the mind are no good...

Its similar to light PTSD, time will help combined with a peaceful setting for awhile...which I am guessing is improbable for you at the moment. Your emotions are balled up, looking for a release because they want to react so many ways but cant, which can cause issues because you may unleash it on someone you love such as a friend of family member. Its soul searching time.

I hope all goes well, and I wish I could have offered some better aid. Again thats all just my opinion, and I am a crazy person myself so it could all just be flat.

May your recovery come swift, and your peace be great.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
This may sound lame and I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget that there are professionals that you can talk to that might be able to help in this situation. I hope things get better for you soon, I feel for you that you had to go through such an experience with this brat.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
IMO, I believe you are suffering from "The Heroes Dilemma ". You are trying to serve, yet the very people you are trying to help and protect are your worst enemies. It plays on the strings of the human psyche, and when tweaked just right can cause ripples. Ripples in the mind are no good...

Its similar to light PTSD, time will help combined with a peaceful setting for awhile...which I am guessing is improbable for you at the moment. Your emotions are balled up, looking for a release because they want to react so many ways but cant, which can cause issues because you may unleash it on someone you love such as a friend of family member. Its soul searching time.

I hope all goes well, and I wish I could have offered some better aid. Again thats all just my opinion, and I am a crazy person myself so it could all just be flat.

May your recovery come swift, and your peace be great.[/QUOT

I agree 100% I have PTSD, I walk in the locked doors and my pulse races, I sweat, it's being locked in somewhere, lack of control, and when I dream, it's always her beating the snot out of me, I havent yet flipped it and beaten her..... I am going to talk to someone, I am good at my job, and I like helping kids so this one time isen't going to stop me, she won't win..... I was ok, but finding out this past weekend that her group home she was sent to, she beat 5 staff, "bloodied and bruised" was the report, it triggered something in me, knowing that she might come back to my work.... thankfully a doctor who likes me wrote a amazing letter to the CEO, president, nursing managers of the unit and she is not coming back this time......

thanks for all replies means alot to me :) now im going to try to sleep....

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established

May your recovery come swift, and your peace be great.
This may sound lame and I'm sure you already know this, but don't forget that there are professionals that you can talk to that might be able to help in this situation. I hope things get better for you soon, I feel for you that you had to go through such an experience with this brat.
thankfully a doctor who likes me wrote a amazing letter to the CEO, president, nursing managers of the unit and she is not coming back this time......

thanks for all replies means alot to me :) now im going to try to sleep....
I think Zero and buuzer hit the nail on the head. Sometimes there are events in our lives where we would benefit from the aid of others. In this case I do think that it would be very healthy for you to speak with a professional about what happened.

After what you described I think it would help to strengthen your resolve in your decision to spend your life helping people in their time of need. While I'm sure that getting this off your chest is probably helping you cope, you said yourself that you are still having issues with the event that are affecting your work. I would like to think that for the most part the folk on here, especially some of the guys in this thread, make for a great support group. However we, the community, are only able to provide so much.

It is also comforting to hear that the doctor that you mentioned helped to ensure that this person would no longer be able to physically abuse anyone in your unit. Take care.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear madam

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear. madness by the children of today. even tho u can not file criminal charges, talk to a lawyer and see if u could sue in civil court for like the 3 days lost of wages, doctor bills, distress etc..

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
sorry to hear. madness by the children of today. even tho u can not file criminal charges, talk to a lawyer and see if u could sue in civil court for like the 3 days lost of wages, doctor bills, distress etc..
To me it's not worth it, I would rather press charges but I can't, I didn't lose anything in this that I can get back, ( perhaps my sanity) and it's a workmens comp claim since it happened on the job, so everything is covered...

But thanks, I go tomorrow to see a doc about my arm, bite wound is nasty still......

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
well that's good they offered to cover with workers comp. if it was me, i woulda hit that little bitch until she spit out all her teeth lol. good job having some self control. feel better.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That kid needs to be locked up. Group homes don't work for most kids. I work at Juvie and one kid got 5 years for holding a chaplain hostaga with a shank and he didn't even harm the chaplain

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
Went to see the workmens comp doc today, sending me for a cat scan, more antibiotics for my bite wound, another face x ray and suggested counseling, no kidding..... makes me mad I live in the U.S. and I can't press charges, I have to HOPE someone from the group home does and in the end of all this, work may take her back!!!!!!! I am at a loss of words for how I feel.......

I'm feeling kinda done...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Went to see the workmens comp doc today, sending me for a cat scan, more antibiotics for my bite wound, another face x ray and suggested counseling, no kidding..... makes me mad I live in the U.S. and I can't press charges, I have to HOPE someone from the group home does and in the end of all this, work may take her back!!!!!!! I am at a loss of words for how I feel.......

I'm feeling kinda done...
I really am sorry its eating you up so bad. Wish there were magic words I could say to help, but all of us are but mortals in a greater play.

At least your getting a scan, and maybe counseling. Dont let this eat you up, that is only her winning, that is why she grins....She will get her justice done unto her in due time, spending most of her life in restraints will become her eventual style if she doesn't come to her senses. Some peoples minds are not capable of ever being human, and this may be the case. And if she is that cruel of a creature to take pleasure in the pain of others, you should not feel as angry. For she is then nothing more than a shell, a hollow creature seeking to cover its pains on the inside with pain of others. Like a mindless animal...

Again just my ramblings.

Maybe someone else will press those charges, if work does bring her back...talk amongst your co-workers, and develop a special procedure to make sure she cant injure anyone. I never been in such an environment honestly, so I cannot pretend to understand the bullcrap politics that probably exist...but I am never afraid to lose my job personally anymore, every time I have a better one came along. Especially since companies have to be careful they cant be sued for firing someone unjustly.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I really am sorry its eating you up so bad. Wish there were magic words I could say to help, but all of us are but mortals in a greater play.

At least your getting a scan, and maybe counseling. Dont let this eat you up, that is only her winning, that is why she grins....She will get her justice done unto her in due time, spending most of her life in restraints will become her eventual style if she doesn't come to her senses. Some peoples minds are not capable of ever being human, and this may be the case. And if she is that cruel of a creature to take pleasure in the pain of others, you should not feel as angry. For she is then nothing more than a shell, a hollow creature seeking to cover its pains on the inside with pain of others. Like a mindless animal...

Again just my ramblings.

Maybe someone else will press those charges, if work does bring her back...talk amongst your co-workers, and develop a special procedure to make sure she cant injure anyone. I never been in such an environment honestly, so I cannot pretend to understand the bullcrap politics that probably exist...but I am never afraid to lose my job personally anymore, every time I have a better one came along. Especially since companies have to be careful they cant be sued for firing someone unjustly.
I'm not angry at her so much as I am with myself, she is a primitive human being with no concept of love, feelings, remorse, I'm angry because she is getting to me, she has effected me in more ways than I want to admit, and she should not have that power over me.....

I am going to seek someone to talk to, hoping my words will come back to me over time, and hoping that she won't ever come back to my work as I can't and wont work with her...........

Conagher

Conagher

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you let this bitch change your social patterns and thought process,she has beaten you in more way than one.Do not let this insignificant,13 year old piece of worthlessness win.Live up to your nickname,buck up,let it go and move on with your life.