Finally starting my Personal Trainer certification... now who to pick...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Well I pulled the money out, dont really have it free but freaking A I am taking steps to get my life to where I want it.

i know this has been asked before, but I cant seem to choose.

So far my main two choices I really like are ACE and NASM, I live in Ohio if that makes a difference.

ACE seems to provide a helluvalot of study material and guidance, NASM seems pretty decent as well but not as in depth.

ISSA seems kind of bland, and not sure where else to look at out of that.

My true goal will be to add another certification of some sort at least once a year from here on out(group fitness, special fitness, etc,etc) So its not a HUGE issue, but I am wanting the best education on the subject. The better I understand my field and can express my desire to perform in it with proper information, I believe I will get a job sooner than later.

Shane0Mac

Awards
it looks like you have answered your own question, if you want to get the best education on the subject then go with ACE.

good luck with it as well

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
I train PT companies' sales and trainers on many aspects of the business all over the U.S and I can tell you from experience that NASM is more often highly regarded than ACE. Both are solid certs and will get your foot in basically any door you attempt, but if I were to have one, it would be NASM.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
This is just what I heard, but if you have a 4 year degree, supposedly you can't go wrong with the CSCS from NSCA

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I train PT companies' sales and trainers on many aspects of the business all over the U.S and I can tell you from experience that NASM is more often highly regarded than ACE. Both are solid certs and will get your foot in basically any door you attempt, but if I were to have one, it would be NASM.
Thanks for the input man, trying to make the call now lol. Almost settled on ACE but your input is making me wage war again.

This is just what I heard, but if you have a 4 year degree, supposedly you can't go wrong with the CSCS from NSCA
I dont, I almost have my associates but its an Associates of Arts in education. Only other thing I am doing is getting credentialed through a ministry for...well ministry lol.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
The money will make you lean toward ACE for sure, but remember there is a reason for that, as with most things in life ;)

In all the gyms I've consulted and worked with, I have NEVER seen one that didn't accept NASM. And most of the time will prefer it. Obviously CSCS is in a completely different league, but for your certs that are available without a degree - NASM is an easy choice.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
The money will make you lean toward ACE for sure, but remember there is a reason for that, as with most things in life ;)

In all the gyms I've consulted and worked with, I have NEVER seen one that didn't accept NASM. And most of the time will prefer it. Obviously CSCS is in a completely different league, but for your certs that are available without a degree - NASM is an easy choice.
Thanks for that info man. I may just have to wait another week then go with that if its really that much of an improvement.

As for CSCS what kind of degree are you talking about?(obviously a fitness/health oriented). I was planning on changing my College from History Education major to a health/fitness education major(really want to be a teacher).

Now ACE presents itself as having more information in its course, is that just in presentation or will NASM provide the same if not more? NASM seems so "empty" when it shows the course, but that could simply be because it is what it is and it doesnt need "flare".

This is a big leap of faith to drop the coin so I wanted to be as sure as possible because there are no take backs lol. But after that, and after I research some more it may seem NASM now.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
The CSCS requires a 4 year degree. If it's a must to have it in a health oriented field I don't know. I have a 4 year business degree and a 2 year Physical Therapist Assistant degree and the woman I spoke to over the phone at the NSCA said that I would qualify as being eligible for the CSCS. So maybe you can call them and talk to them. It's not cheap, but as blackjack stated above, there is a reason for that.

wontstop985

wontstop985

Awards
  • Established
Any degree will do.

CSCS

Prerequisites
Registrants must submit an original, official transcript of their academic work, showing attainment of at least a bachelor's degree (BS/BA) or chiropractic medicine degree granted by an accredited institution.

http://www.nsca-cc.org/cscs/about.html

Tex44

Awards
I've been a strength trainer for 10 years been training for over 20. I have certifications from several companies. I have never been asked by anyone what certifications I have. If your only going to train stay at home moms and guys that just need pushed you need only one certification. If your wanting to know the true science behind training I suggest you study the european methods. What we teach here in the states are very basic. Real training still comes from hands on everyday in the gym , using and trying new methods, equipment products and being open minded. Anyways no need for several certifications people could care less, if you know your stuff and are good at what you do your name will carry you far.
Hope all goes well

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I've been a strength trainer for 10 years been training for over 20. I have certifications from several companies. I have never been asked by anyone what certifications I have. If your only going to train stay at home moms and guys that just need pushed you need only one certification. If your wanting to know the true science behind training I suggest you study the european methods. What we teach here in the states are very basic. Real training still comes from hands on everyday in the gym , using and trying new methods, equipment products and being open minded. Anyways no need for several certifications people could care less, if you know your stuff and are good at what you do your name will carry you far.
Hope all goes well
Thanks I have planned it out now.

Getting my NASM certificate, then getting my Bachelors in Physical Therapy, after that getting my CSCS, then going for an associates in Nursing.

I currently almost have my associates of arts, so going into physical therapy should only take about 2 more years if I can transfer it all right.

So the end result is a Trainer, Physical Therapist, Nurse.....I think thats one helluva package to offer up to sports teams, facilities, organizations, etc :D

And considering by the time I get the nursing degree I will have about 4-5 years under my belt of training from originally getting NASM alone.

That is now my life goal and plan. I think its a great place to be putting myself in.

Depending on if I end up on ADHD medications I may be able to get it done faster since I will soon have very little debt issues if any, and have alot of freetime if I do it right and cane be working on multiple things at once. When I can focus and be under control from my ADD, I can literally absorb, memorize, understand and retain an absurd amount in an insanely short time. Last college quarter I did 5 weeks of work in 48 hours and got an A on it. ;)

I love the science of "us"

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
ACE is well rounded, NASM is more specialized. NASM has more therapy techniques like corrective exercises. What you do with NASM is fix a persons muscle imbalances first and then you can train them in normal exercises. In the real world most people don't have time for this and want quick results. You can always skip this phase if needed however even though it's not "protocol". If you plan to get into physical therapy later however I would definetly go with NASM. What you really need to do is get a national accredited cert that will get you in the door and gaining real hands on experience is what really counts. I have recently became interested in the physical therapy field myself.

Vtaper

Awards
Hope all goes well
^^^This Zero^^^.

Being a good trainer is just as much about sales and your personality. No certification exists that improves your ability to aproach potential clients with the look and attitude(not ****y, but confident) to be succesfull.

I had a brief stint as a trainer. I have no certifications and an unrelated degree. I do have years of national level bodybuilding experience though. At the gym(fitness center) I worked at, there were 28 trainers, all with at least several certs, and all the way to masters degrees in a fitness science.

Here was my observation: the more educated the trainer, the less they looked like they had ever worked out themselves, and, the more time they wasted on crap the clients were not asking for. Just like Tex44 said, most people just want someone to push them. My clients would be half dead during our sessions while the "educated" trainers had people standing one legged on a bosu doing ultra slow bicep curls with 3lb dumbells never breaking a sweat.

Bottom line; ANY cert is fine, it looks good next to your name and gives you the basics if you're a moron. But success in that industry (sadly) comes down to your ability to SELL TRAINING PACKAGES. If you want to get crazy into study materials, buy some sales books.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice! I have done roofing sales but I lacked at it due to the fact that I knew jack squat, got tossed into the fire, and had a boss slitting my throat since I got in on it thanks to a connection...FUBAR

I pretty much sale myself as a trainer already, I just need something to solidify my knowledge, teach me how to teach others properly(I am brutal on myself...sometimes too brutal lol a la Suicides till vomitting,etc). I get bugged for nutrition advice, training, etc. But as much as I know I am currently "uncomfortable" taking responsibility for another, I want a more formal understanding of what I love before I do that.

I ordered my NASM goods, so in 3-6 months time I will be getting the hell out of this job I hate, and be really stepping up and stepping out :D

Thank you all again for the advice. The last 3 weeks have developed new dreams in my life, and it begins with this cert.

NASM, Bachelors in Physical therapy, CSCS(or the likes), Then picking up a associates in nursing over time.

Why? Because...;)

rambofireball

rambofireball

Awards
  • Established
How did this go?