learning a foreign language

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wondering how many of you guys may have a 2nd language stashed away. I will be graduating this spring with a degree in American History and want to get started on learning a foreign lanuage so I can, hopefully, within the next 5 years teach overseas.

I'm not real sure where I would teach but i'm hoping by the end of this summer I can get an idea of what I'd like to study so i can get the ball movin. The one that strikes first is German because well I am German. My great great grandfather's both came over here and settled in the same village in Penn. My grandmother (dad's side) speaks some German and ironically my step mother was born in germany and can speak it pretty well (born on a military base). However, I know it is a VERY hard language to learn.

Spanish and French are kinda out of the question. For 1 I hate France and everything those fukcers are so I would never want to help out that sh!tty country by educating them, yea I don't like them if you can't tell :lol:

Open to ideas and hopefully experience from you guys.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I speak pretty good German. It's very easy to learn. I want to learn Gaelic next.

I actually have some interest in learning French. I'd like to live in Paris for a few months if I can.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I speak pretty good German. It's very easy to learn. I want to learn Gaelic next.

I actually have some interest in learning French. I'd like to live in Paris for a few months if I can.
well suka motha fuka.....you have any stuff I could look at or purchase form you?

French is similar to spanish, spanish is really easy. I am a little rusty with it, but after last summer and working with almost exclusivley mexican born workers, I was rather fluent. Shouldn't be a problem for you.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What subject do you want to teach overseas?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What subject do you want to teach overseas?
something geard towrds history, economics, or politcal science would be great. Since english and western studies are growing in other places of the world there is starting to bring a demand for American teachers overseas. Something I would like to do for a few years.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So do you need this foreign language so you can teach in a country that speaks that language?

A lot of countries overseas speak English. From what I understand, English is pretty common in Germany.

Anyway, you might even be able to teach English overseas.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So do you need this foreign language so you can teach in a country that speaks that language?

A lot of countries overseas speak English. From what I understand, English is pretty common in Germany.

Anyway, you might even be able to teach English overseas.
Yea and germans really like to show off that they can speak english from what i understand. We had 2 german guys at the plant my parents work at that stayed with us for a few weeks. They put some machines together last year for the plant. One was named Wolfgang and the other i can't remember, it was something I've never heard before. Probably because he was from eastern germany, man he had some stories.

I guess I may not have to fully understand the language to teach there. However, I'd like to know how to speak it to try and show I'm not some stuck up american, ya know?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Outside of Spanish, no. I live in Central Florida though, so I'm alright with that...:D

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really have a strong desire to learn Italian (I am one of the few in my family that don't speak it) as well as Chinese (the business opportunities that become available are huge). But I am lazy and probably wouldn't get around to it.

Oh well, some day I will get on the Rosetta Stone.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really have a strong desire to learn Italian (I am one of the few in my family that don't speak it) as well as Chinese (the business opportunities that become available are huge). But I am lazy and probably wouldn't get around to it.

Oh well, some day I will get on the Rosetta Stone.
I really wanted to learn manderin chinese but thought about my feild of work and yea, no chance of that with their censorship.

I hear mixed things about Rosetta Stone, its a love/hate from what I have researched.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really wanted to learn manderin chinese but thought about my feild of work and yea, no chance of that with their censorship.

I hear mixed things about Rosetta Stone, its a love/hate from what I have researched.
Totally true on the censorship bit.

On Rosetta Stone, in all reality I would torrent it. If I actually learned the language, I would gladly pay for it.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well suka motha fuka.....you have any stuff I could look at or purchase form you?

French is similar to spanish, spanish is really easy. I am a little rusty with it, but after last summer and working with almost exclusivley mexican born workers, I was rather fluent. Shouldn't be a problem for you.
Nein, Ich habe ein bissen, aber nicht sehr viel; alt Schulle vorrate.

...eh, little rusty. :p

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know quite a few people that went to teach in Japan, Korea, China, and Saudi Arabia.

As an American, you will most likely teach English, or a different subject but still be speaking English. Trust me you won't be speaking any other language.

Also, put Saudi Arabia as your first choice, you get a house paid for, a few maids, and a car if you get accepted. Not to mention a hefty salary. The other countries honestly don't provide much but the opportunity.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know quite a few people that went to teach in Japan, Korea, China, and Saudi Arabia.

As an American, you will most likely teach English, or a different subject but still be speaking English. Trust me you won't be speaking any other language.

Also, put Saudi Arabia as your first choice, you get a house paid for, a few maids, and a car if you get accepted. Not to mention a hefty salary. The other countries honestly don't provide much but the opportunity.
Ahh very insightful, thank you!

What about local's? Or do that many people speak english?

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not many locals speak English. But almost all of the younger generation and students speak English who you will be spending the majority of your time with.

Opt to teach English if you can, there is no curriculum given to you, it is basically you just having conversations with students. That is what my friends do in their classes, just have conversations with the students and they love it... but the ones that do it in Saudi are getting great compensation for it--not the other ones.

zaxariah

Awards
German is not that hard of a language to learn at all. English is a germaic based language anyways with a lot of latin words mixed in. I'm currently able to speak, read and write in french at a moderate to intermidiate level. I'm about to learn Pashto and already know some simple conversation. German is CAT 2 or 1 language I believe. French and Spanish are definetly a CAT 1. If I were you I would go for Chinese, but it's a CAT 3 or 4. I believe despite their roots Germany is not much better than France anymore. I've heard the Swiss are like the Texans of Europe. I believe they are the only ones right now that allow you to own a gun.

J'espere que tu passer un bonne journee. I hope you have a good day (in french)

pak di ah man (See ya or Good bye in Pashto)

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Details plz. :tongue2:

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
I've heard the Swiss are like the Texans of Europe. I believe they are the only ones right now that allow you to own a gun.
You are only allowed to keep a gun at home in Switzerland once you have done your military service/conscription so it not the case that anyone can keep a gun in Switzerland. From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_of_Switzerland):

The structure of the Swiss militia system stipulates that the soldiers keep their own personal equipment, including all personal weapons, at home. Compulsory military service concerns all male Swiss citizens, with women serving voluntarily.

German isn't a difficult language to learn but it depends upon how you were taught English at school (sounds stupid, I know). I am from the UK but live in Germany and speak fluent German. In the UK we are not taught any grammar at all i.e. direct/indirect object of a sentence, etc. and this makes learning any foreign language difficult as there are different adjectival endings depending upon the structure of the sentence.

The other problem in learning German is trying to find someone to practice with as most German people speak very good English. When you ask someone if they speak English they will reply 'a little bit' when in fact it is practically fluent and they will only struggle with the odd word or two. While you are trying to practice your German by speaking German in a bar/shop, etc. the German person will start speaking English and their English is normally a lot better than your German.

If you are looking to teach in Germany then take a look at International Schools. These are schools that are located in several places throughout Germany (Frankfurt, Cologne, Berlin, etc.) where everything is in English and they will normally follow the UK curriculum. Parents who work in the UN or other international companies send their kids to these schools while they spend a couple of years working in Germany.

I know a few people (English and Canadian) that work at St George's school in Cologne (http://www.stgeorgesschoolcologne.de/) and they would be lucky to string more than 3 German words together so German is definitely not needed but it would give you the opportunity to learn the language while you are in the country.

There is a list of other International Schools in Germany at http://germany.english-schools.org/

GregW

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You need to use the Michel Thomas audio courses to learn language. Best EVER!

dusty

dusty

Awards
Ive been actually thinking about learning a new language to as of late. Since my family is Italian, Ive been thinkin of trying it. BTW, Italian is one of the easiest languages to learn so it would be a good place to start

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I ended up grabbing some stuff on German, going to see how it goes. I was stadning in the section of forgien language books for about 30minutes. Was between German and Italian, German obviously won :lol:

Started on it last night, probably been at it for about 3 hours total already. Wow, I dont know what im saying but I know damn sure im pronouncing it right lol.

I remember now that I have an Italian professor at school who speaks german, and italian obviously. He's kind of a prick but if this takes off Im pretty sure he would be willing to help me with it. He's always trying to start up german and italian classes but they never have enough people to go through with them.