Goddamn it I want a cigarette

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, back in April when I was in Hawaii I somehow picked up smoking again and pretty well smoked consistently since then. I was a long term smoker up till about 5 years earlier, when I quit after seeing my father in the hospital getting half a lung removed from cancer.

Anyhow, I stopped smoking yesterday, and its killing me.

Just wanted to share.

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I could go for one too, although I have never really been a smoker. I usually only smoke at ceilis, and even then it's usually a cigar rather than a cigarette.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
just put in a dip then, lol...tongue cancer is easier to remove.

marco wolf

marco wolf

Awards
  • Established
The best way to quit smoking is to quit drinking first.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I had been wanting to quit, but kept smoking anyway. I started taking St. Johns Wart for other reasons, but I soon realized it had destroyed my craving for cig's. I don't have any craving s for one. I would smoke after pretty much most meals. I had a cig last week, and it wasn't even pleasant.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hang in there Easy. I am on my 4th day, it is actually being talked about in my log. After day 3 it starts easing up a bit, but I could still go for one.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just came back inside from having one. ;) I've tried to quit, and had a good 3 months without any or even the desire. Then one day, I was at a convenience store, and I picked up a pack intending to throw half of it away right then and there. I didn't, and gradually burned the whole thing over the next 2 days. Then, well, I wasn't a quitter anymore. :(

Sucks to smoke. I wish I could just be done with it already, but there's that desire....not just to have one, but, for me atleast, to have a little indulgence that's just for me and nobody else. Everything I do these days is for everyone else but me except this, so I figure I'm entitled to it. Or not, I dunno...

Just hang in there, Easy. The first 2 weeks will be the toughest, but it gets better. It's never really gone, but it gets better.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, luckily i've only been back to smoking 5 or 6 weeks, so its not as bad as it was the first time around 5 years ago. Still blows. The first week or so of smoking a pack would last me + my wife around 4-5 days, but at the end here I was just about hitting a pack a day myself, plus her smoking too.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Its tough to kill that craving. I nipped the tobacco, but I have a real weakness with something else

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Physical cravings are only 10% of the addiction. The rest is all mental. To become a non-smoker instead of ex-smoker you need to break mental ties between your daily activities when you crave a cigarette and smoking itself.
The best way I found for myself is hypnotherapy or self-hypnosis. Just quitting isn't enough, you will crave cigarettes even 5 years later. This f...ing feeling never goes away. One day you have few drinks with your buddies who smoke, next thing you know you are a smoker again...

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Well, back in April when I was in Hawaii I somehow picked up smoking again and pretty well smoked consistently since then. I was a long term smoker up till about 5 years earlier, when I quit after seeing my father in the hospital getting half a lung removed from cancer.

Anyhow, I stopped smoking yesterday, and its killing me.

Just wanted to share.
Best wishes on kicking the habit.

You can do it!

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Pull an Audie Murphy.

"When he recognized that he had become addicted to the drug, he locked himself in a motel room where he took himself off the pills, going through withdrawal for a week"

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It really is mental. The relaxed feeling it gives you is not addicting for me like I don't think "Man I need to feel that feeling."

It just gives you something to do. I like the "idea" of smoking more than smoking itself. That's how I know it's mental for me.

It's the idea of "I'm gonna go out and have a smoke" that I really love. Taking a break, being outside, ahhhh makes me wanna smoke now.

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Come on E, if you remotely care about being around for your kids, put them down. Cancer is real, and it does not care if you smoke 5 a day, or a pack a day. Wait, don't you do everything in your power to get to the top physical shape that you can be? So how does smoking help you to be healthy? It's a contradiction; working out + smoking = dumb ass. Quit E, for good.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was even pondering the electric cigarettes, the ones that just distribute nicotine. cause the nicotine isnt the issue, its all the crap in the smoke

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
I think nicotine does some bad stuff also though, like constricting blood flow.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
I would rather slit my wrists than take the risk on Chantix.

I have heard some bad stuff about that ****.

C

Carolinapumps

Awards
I hate to advocate switching one vice for another but if you can't kick nicotine but want to get your aerobic capacity back, pick up a can of grizzly. I have been dipping for 7 years and have never had any problems not even leukoplakea.
Pouches although kind of puss are also a good way to get your fix without tearing up year gums.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
On that ^

Snus, not the camel brand, the real swedish kind if you can find it, has 0 health risks. Sweden has the LOWEST lung cancer rates in the world, and its probably because of their snus.

Scandinavians have been using snuff/dip/snus forever, and the health risks are really insignificant. To tell you the truth, nicotine has more positive benfits than negative. I can't speak for US companies, because I don't know what their additives are.

I'm pretty sure the only neg effects of dip though are that girls dont like it. The fiberglass thing is a total myth, although your teeth will get dirtier, but probably about as much as coffee. Your gums will reced too wherever you place it. But anything I can find on dipping says studies are inconclusive. I am 99% sure the mouth cancer and all that is only if you dont brush your teeth too..

matthew76

matthew76

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I actually used Nicotine patches on a cut once, along with ephedrine and white willow bark. It worked well, but the first week after I ceased the patch, I felt like crap. I've never smoked; it makes me sick to be around, to be honest.

kimmy gibler

kimmy gibler

Awards
I would rather slit my wrists than take the risk on Chantix.

I have heard some bad stuff about that ****.
Really..? I've used it with great success! Absolutely no side effects what so ever. Maybe I was lucky.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
P.S. I know where you live. So if AM likes you enough they will fly me down there just to kick your ass to stop smoking. It's not that hard. Just stop drinking. :D

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't had one now in 3 days, so the worst of the cravings is over.

I

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always enjoyed the drag, but as soon as I put out the cigarette I'd feel shame, disgust, filth, etc. if I knew I was smoking too much. - I've always been an extremely disciplined person, so when I got involved in fitness and health at 15yo, it really helped me limit things that were health-risks. The only time I'd ever smoke was on Friday nights. I'd light up a clove after school for the drive home, and then if I went out that night I'd smoke, but come bedtime, that was it.

Now, the only time I smoke cigarettes (and I don't smoke ANY cigs other than 100% natural tobacco, additive-free) is at a ceili. - For those of you that don't know, a ceili is an Irish term for a social gathering involving dancing, drinking, music, etc. We have a lot of them on the Chicago southside. :)

Women may often hate smoking, but what they love is a man with discipline and control. I've never found a chick that wasn't totally fine with me smoking, because she knows when the party is over I control myself perfectly well.

It's that balance that you need to get.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
It really is mental. The relaxed feeling it gives you is not addicting for me like I don't think "Man I need to feel that feeling."

It just gives you something to do. I like the "idea" of smoking more than smoking itself. That's how I know it's mental for me.

It's the idea of "I'm gonna go out and have a smoke" that I really love. Taking a break, being outside, ahhhh makes me wanna smoke now.
Yea, that's exactly how it was for me.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I haven't had one now in 3 days, so the worst of the cravings is over.
That's good to hear. I think we're all aware of how deadly cigarettes can be. You're a role model to your kids, don't let them down by smoking. And I'd have to agree with matthias, I've seen you transform your body over the past few years Eric, and don't be smearing all that hard work by satisfying a dirty habit. Go clean, we're all here to support you.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You can do it dude. I used to dip 1 can + a day.... Military does that to you haha. I quit now for the second time and I have gone a month without dip!

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
I was a pack a day smoker for 7 years, and have now been 3 years cold turkey.

I resolved that once I made my mind up and decided to quit, that turning back was not an option.

I believe the bulk of the battle is mental, sure there are some physical cravings and effects, but really it's all in your head, and if you want to quit, you simply....quit!

They say if you can get through the first 3 days then you're gold.

Since drinking and smoking go hand in hand one may have to give up drinking as well, I did. I would quit smoking off and on for my last year before going cold turkey with the drinking as well, and would almost always end up putting a half a pack away during a drinking binge, then I'd sober up and quit smoking and drinking for a few weeks or up to a month at a time, and go back to it.

It's very hard to drink and not smoke if you have been there and done that, as an advocate of the bodybuilding lifestyle I realized both were detrimental not only to my training but my general health, and I decided to choose bodybuilding over them.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Come on E, if you remotely care about being around for your kids, put them down. Cancer is real, and it does not care if you smoke 5 a day, or a pack a day. Wait, don't you do everything in your power to get to the top physical shape that you can be? So how does smoking help you to be healthy? It's a contradiction; working out + smoking = dumb ass. Quit E, for good.
Blunt and sweet. To the point. This is exactly why I quit smoking. Cancer doesn't discriminate.