How long are you at the gym?

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
There's a guy at my gym that stays for 3 hours or so at a time, and I wonder what the point of it is, he does so many sets that it almost seems counterproductive, but then again this guy is HUGE and got there naturally, never touched a cycle.

I start getting a little burnt out after an hour at the gym, I'd say most of my workouts are right about an hour, maybe an hour 10 minutes. When I can leave work early Im extra pumped and smash through about 45 minutes and I'm out.

How long are you usually there?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's really a matter of what you are capable of recovering from. There was a time when I would have said anything over an hour is counter productive, but I've found with time that my work capacity has increased. Sometimes now a workout will last more like 1.5.

If you can eat enough and sleep enough to recover from more work, your body will adapt.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
It's really a matter of what you are capable of recovering from. There was a time when I would have said anything over an hour is counter productive, but I've found with time that my work capacity has increased. Sometimes now a workout will last more like 1.5.

If you can eat enough and sleep enough to recover from more work, your body will adapt.
Maybe something to consider is how long you rest between reps.. Sometimes on the days I stay longer there is a little more time between my reps. Also, on leg days I tend to stay at the gym longer. I still see progress, so I guess I can see your point of view on the adaptation. Thanks for the response

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour and a half, anything over that and i start itching to get out of there, i go after work so it feels like i'm wasting my whole night and the rest of my night is going to be packing lunches and getting my supps together for the next day

ppl must think i'm a d-bag at the gym because i try and keep convo's to a minimium and get in and out, plus i get really hungry

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour and a half, anything over that and i start itching to get out of there, i go after work so it feels like i'm wasting my whole night and the rest of my night is going to be packing lunches and getting my supps together for the next day

ppl must think i'm a d-bag at the gym because i try and keep convo's to a minimium and get in and out, plus i get really hungry
Luckily the gym for us is 2 minutes or so driving, because my girl and I always leave STARVING. I also go after work.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
No more than an hour and a half usually, and that's if i'm really jacked up on pre-workout that day.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
The gym is not for talking. Good for you.
I don't even talk to my workout partner much. I use my fingers to talk about reps and sets more than i talk all together. usually have my music up and don't take my earbuds out until abs.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i'm so glad i finally have an i pod, it gives me another reason to not talk to anyone, i tell my g/f i need a new gym because over the years u do get to know everyone and i don't really want to have to speak to everyone

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
i'm so glad i finally have an i pod, it gives me another reason to not talk to anyone, i tell my g/f i need a new gym because over the years u do get to know everyone and i don't really want to have to speak to everyone
right?

people im cool with get a nod, if theyre not cool with me they get nothing LOL

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I like to be in and out in 50 minutes unless I am doing cardio. When I was doing OVT lifting it took about an hour and a half(200 reps).

My lifting buddy tries to talk alot, I keep pointing to the weights saying "Go!" he is a lil stronger, but not productive for getting intense :(

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't even talk to my workout partner much. I use my fingers to talk about reps and sets more than i talk all together. usually have my music up and don't take my earbuds out until abs.
Thats hardcore bro haha. Ive had people come up to me to talk simply because they can tell im in the Army.. It gets annoying as it seems like everyday an military vet comes to talk to me inbetween my sets. Yesterday I had a convo with and ex delta force sergeant... He was a big dude, but would not shut up.. I lift for an hour to an hour and a half, no more and no less..

airram479

Awards
  • Established
I'd say 1-1.25 hours. I started working out now after the 9-5 is done,and now that i am doing that i can see how much time i used to waste before when i was working out in the afternoon's. Those rests in between your set's can be costing a lot of time if your not watching it. I want to get in and out,if you wanna spend all day at the gym...thats your thing.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
35-50 minutes without cardio. The dude who is there three hours is probably the perfect example how if you even do the wrong thing long enough, incremental results will still show over time. For me its as much as possible about optimizing my time, i've got too much else going on to waste that much time in the gym 4-5 days a week

PrepNwa23

PrepNwa23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm with you guys an hour is about my limit unless its a cardio day that i spend at the gym. There is just no point if you optimize your time and know what your there to do then whats the point in staying there for 3 hours? My gym is nice cause after 9 it is completely empty no one is there so i can do what i need without getting harassed by someone.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I dont talk to anyone, maybe a head nod here and there but never speak, it's my time...lately trying to making my foot stronger I've been doing an hour than I go to my parents house with the pool and swim 50-80 laps....:)

TC

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I would spend longer if i knew it would produce more results.

antdawg5150

Awards
Two hours,about 45 per bod part plus cardio on the bike and a few mins in the steam.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
between an hour and a hour and a half for me.

futbolista

futbolista

Awards
I usually do 30-45 minutes of strength training (so not including cardio). I'm mostly doing supersets with minimal rest time.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour and a half, anything over that and i start itching to get out of there, i go after work so it feels like i'm wasting my whole night
This right here, well maybe more like 45 minutes to an hour 15, usually about an hour though. The longer days are when I work some cardio in at the end of my workout.

I usually don't get to the gym till about 6:30, 7 at the latest and once the clock hits 7:30 I start to get restless.

I think it helps working out alone, that way my time is most optimized. I see the guys that come in 3-4 ppl deep and they take forever at each station. Too much chit-chat. I haven't had a workout partner since college 5 years ago, and I'm so much more efficient in the gym because of it. My mp3 player is my partner :fing02:

seunim

seunim

Awards
  • Established
Usually 45 min to an hour. A guy at my gym always wears the same t-shirt to workout. On the front it has a red circle with diagonal line through it and a question mark in the middle. Nobody ever approaches him. lol

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
2 hours to 2 hours and ten minutes...then I am cashed.

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
I'm there about 35-45 minutes. I don't rest much between sets though. Maybe a minute or so between sets.

Leg days might take me an hour. I do tend to take a little more rest between sets.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
About 1.5-2 hours but that includes 20-30 minutes of cardio with a little recovery time and an hour of working out. Sometimes that stretches if i'm working out with my girl due to swapping sets and spotting her etc. I've been going to this gym for 10 years so I know all the employees and most of the gym goers and sometimes conversations take place which pushes the workout longer.

I used to be a heads down and mp3 on guy but after a while the gym became a second home and a lot of the people like a second family.

Moeller

Moeller

Awards
Generally, around 50 min I'll throw the towel in. I'm there 6 days a week on average, and more than an hour (not including cardio) doesn't do any more for me.

n8te

n8te

Awards
  • Established
45min-1hr for HIT and when I"m bulking and 1hr 15-1 hr 30 when I'm cutting b/c I do a lot more volume. when I do cardio add an extra 20 min into the total time.

DaSlixter

DaSlixter

Awards
I do mornings and afternoon-4days a week.

Mornings are shorter sessions bcuz its just cardio and polymetrics and i cant hang longer than and hour + i have work. I do 10min streching, 35min tredmill, 15min polymetrcs.
Then after noon sessions are about 2-2.5 hours. I do 35min cardio then work on upper or lower body depending on which day. I do however take alot of resting peroids in the afternoon because the gyms more packed and im a lil more tired because of work and the early morning.

I know a guy who stays at the gym for like 5hrs! dont know wtf he does.

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
about 60 min lift time, 20 min hiit, 15 min tan, 10 min shower.. so about 1.45 - 2.00 hours normally. I never talk while im lifting but after i get out of the shower if someone starts talking to me im usually there for a while after that.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
usually 45-1.15. I do "supersets" with around a minute-minute and a half(near the end of the workouts) rest time between sets. I've been watching that clock lately and keeping the intensity up is really doing me good.

That includes a 5 minute warm up run. Otherwise all other cardio is in the morning.

ShadowFury

ShadowFury

Awards
  • Established
Usually anywhere between 50 mins and 80 mins (no cardio). My cardio is interval anyway, so it doesn't even add that much.