Looking into purchasing a revolver.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Been wanting a gun for awhile now(dont have any anymore, but its time to get one again considering I will be moving out on my own soon). I fancy revolvers for reliability.

Thinking of a .357 but I am not limited in ideas. Just something to take to a range and enjoy myself on a Saturday morning, and to keep my home safe.

S&W, Colt, Ruger though? Experience with them?

I know someone else here is getting a .45. It seems most people own auto's today, and fewer have the revolvers around. I do miss my dads old Anaconda-magnum revolver, thing was a demon. But not for home defense, that was shooting down cargo jets LOL

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i have two friends, both have smith and wesson snub nose .38's and love them, pack a nice kick too....i stick with the semi auto...smith and wesson 9mm right now, but a glocc 40 in the near future...shotgun is my home defense, ar 15 for 2012 and the zombies come

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Ruger gp100 38/357 probably the best cost/reputation/reliability revolver you are ever going to find, google it, tons of reviews, dont overpay for any of the bigger "names", and you can probably find a great deal on a used one if you check your local ranges/shops.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Revolver to shoot? I could understand having them in a collection but revolvers suck :)

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
You should get a gun like this for home protection lol

Attachments

tkdbax

Awards
I gotta agree with Young Gotti on the Glock .40, smooth action, very easy gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate for a pistol. Another way to go is a pistol grip shotti with a short barrell. nothing scares the heck outta scumbags more than the sound of a 12 guage being ****ed, locked and ready to rock...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Revolver to shoot? I could understand having them in a collection but revolvers suck :)
I would have to disagree. I am not the biggest fan of revolvers myself, but if you want reliability, they cannot be beat. Clips jam, revolvers do not.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Taurus hammerless 357 magnum.

cheap gun, but well made and all stainless, probably around $250ish. You can shoot 38 special in it for fun at the range, but also 357 (which is a good bit more expensive in ammo) but this way you have the choice

brugalou

brugalou

Awards
  • Established
carry a glock 40cal myself but I've always liked my 38 special

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Check out the Taurus 4510 Public Defender. Article in the latest Combat Handguns magazine. It shoots a 2.5 inch 000 Personal Defense Buckshot that's equivalent to firing 4 .36 caliber bullets with each shot. Looks nasty. On BB so don't have a pic or link.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
taurus makes a damn nice revolver, same company as smith and wesson actually....once i shot a glock 45 police issue, i wanted a glock, just so happens the gun stores got a 40 compact so it'll fit on my ankle real nice, my 9mm looks like a small 45 already it's a big gun so it's not easily hidden

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Been wanting a gun for awhile now(dont have any anymore, but its time to get one again considering I will be moving out on my own soon). I fancy revolvers for reliability.

Thinking of a .357 but I am not limited in ideas. Just something to take to a range and enjoy myself on a Saturday morning, and to keep my home safe.

S&W, Colt, Ruger though? Experience with them?

I know someone else here is getting a .45. It seems most people own auto's today, and fewer have the revolvers around. I do miss my dads old Anaconda-magnum revolver, thing was a demon. But not for home defense, that was shooting down cargo jets LOL
The 357 is the best way to go Zero V. You can also shoot 38's in it which would make it more practical if your wife (assuming you are married) wants to shoot it also. Ruger has an awesome safety feature that the trigger HAS to be pulled before the hammer can hit the firing pin. So a slip of the thumb or dropping of the gun will not cause it to fire. I have the Ruger Security Six.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I gotta agree with Young Gotti on the Glock .40, smooth action, very easy gun to shoot and surprisingly accurate for a pistol. Another way to go is a pistol grip shotti with a short barrell. nothing scares the heck outta scumbags more than the sound of a 12 guage being ****ed, locked and ready to rock...
love the shotgun, i'd like to get rid of mine and get a pistol grip riot shotgun

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I would have to disagree. I am not the biggest fan of revolvers myself, but if you want reliability, they cannot be beat. Clips jam, revolvers do not.
Im sure you meant to say mag.

If youre getting a revolver just to have/for fun, get a judge.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've spent my entire adult life around weapons and the only mags i've seen that caused a malfunction were due to maintenance issues that were caused by the operator. I'd also take the increased accuracy, increased capacity and decreased reload time over a revolver.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've spent my entire adult life around weapons and the only mags i've seen that caused a malfunction were due to maintenance issues that were caused by the operator. I'd also take the increased accuracy, increased capacity and decreased reload time over a revolver.
Eh, I forget some do not fight in desert conditions. I have had more mags jam up on me than I can count, that is along a very large spectrum of hand guns. And as for the operator, well professionally trained, and been around fire arms since I was 5.

You are mistaken on the accuracy as well.

Advantages of revolvers

* Ease of use: Most revolvers have no external safety devices which need to be deactivated before firing nor do they require manual ****ing, making revolvers quicker and simpler to put into action. All semi-automatics require manually ****ing the slide before firing, and many also have manual safeties which must be disengaged before firing.
* Reliability: Revolvers are mechanically simpler and contain fewer parts than semi-automatics so are less likely to suffer stoppages or malfunctions.
* In a double action revolver, a dud round can be cleared with a simple pull of the trigger. In the case of single action semi-automatics, the hammer, if one is present, must be re-****ed in order to re-strike a dud round or the slide racked to remove it. Many double action semi-automatics can re-strike a dud round simply by pulling the trigger, but as with single actions, the slide must be racked otherwise.
* Potential for greater stopping power: The largest and most powerful handgun cartridges are designed for revolvers, owing to their more robust design.
* Revolvers will easily fire blank ammunition. Most semi-automatics will not fully cycle with blank cartridges, causing malfunctions. Semi-automatics must be specially modified to properly cycle with blank ammunition. This modification renders them incapable of firing other types of ammunition.
* Spent cartridges are kept in the cylinder making them easier to retrieve for hand reloading or clean-up. Semi-automatics eject cartridges some distance, requiring them to be retrieved for hand loading or clean-up.
* Storage: Revolvers and speedloaders can be stored loaded indefinitely without issue. The magazines used in semi-automatics have springs which sit under tension when loaded. Unless the magazine is unloaded periodically e.g. one month unloaded to one month loaded, allowing the spring to relax, it may suffer feeding problems.[citation needed]
* Greater variety of ammunition: Revolvers can handle a wider variety of bullets, including wadcutters, which will malfunction in most semi-automatics. Wadcutters are designed for target practice, making revolvers more appealing to many sporting shooters.
* Multiple calibers: Many revolvers can load certain interchangeable cartridges, those with identical bore diameters but different case lengths. Interchangeable cartridges include .22 short/long/long rifle, .357 magnum/.38 special, .44 magnum/.44 special, and .45 Colt/.410 shotshells. Note: Please check with the manufacturer.
* Greater accuracy: Sights are mounted to a fixed barrel, theoretically allowing greater accuracy.
* Easier to determine if loaded: In most revolvers, the cartidges are readily apparent when loaded. An unloaded semi-automatic is often visually identical to a loaded one.
* Easier to clean and maintain: Revolvers have few exposed moving pieces and do not require disassembly. There is no risk of loss or breakage of pieces when cleaning a revolver. Semi-automatics must be disassembled for cleaning, which may be difficult and risks losing or breaking vital pieces in the field or in darkness.

Advantages of Semi-Auto

* Larger ammunition capacity: semi-automatics typically carry around 7 to 20 rounds; whilst most revolvers carry between 5 and 8 rounds.
* Compact ammo storage: The flat shape of most magazines make them more convenient to carry than the speedloaders needed for revolvers.
* Slimmer profile: Semi-automatics often have a significantly slimmer and easier to conceal frame as they do not suffer from the bulge produced by cylinder of a revolver.
* Lighter: Some modern semi-automatics have frames made of polymers, making them lighter and more comfortable to carry for long periods. Revolver frames are rarely made of polymers, though the Ruger LCR is an exception to this.
* Safety: Some semi-automatics incorporate an external safety switch, which prevents the gun from firing. Most revolvers do not have such a feature, though the same is true of many semi-automatics. There is debate over whether external safety switches are necessary, particularly in models with trigger-activated firing pin blocks, though many users prefer them for peace of mind regardless of whether or not they are safer.
* Quieter: With similar ammunition, a semi-automatic is typically slightly quieter. Flash and noise can be suppressed. Noise and flash suppressors are ineffective in most revolvers due to noise and flash escaping the gap between the cylinder and the barrel. Suppressors are illegal in many jurisdictions.
* Less expensive ammunition: semi-automatics often fire standard military ammunition, which is more readily available and cheaper thanks to extensive mass production. However, some revolver cartridges such as .38 Special are comparable in their cost and availability to popular autoloading cartridges such as 9mm Parabellum and .45 ACP.
I like Mags myself as I said, but any person who knows fire arms will tell you Revolvers are superior in every way but a few.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To eith their own but don't assume people haven't fought in varied climate and conditions. Debris is debris and can increase a potential malfunction...And most people who are looking into pistols are not looking for a weapon to fight in the deserts of the Middle East. to use that experience on how one will operate in normal conditions is misleading.

* Ease of use: Most revolvers have no external safety devices which need to be deactivated before firing nor do they require manual ****ing, making revolvers quicker and simpler to put into action. All semi-automatics require manually ****ing the slide before firing, and many also have manual safeties which must be disengaged before firing.
**True except those carying a pistol will not carry it without a round in the champer and it on fire which makes this comparison worthless**
* Reliability: Revolvers are mechanically simpler and contain fewer parts than semi-automatics so are less likely to suffer stoppages or malfunctions.
**Your average pistol is problem free regardless of the type**
* In a double action revolver, a dud round can be cleared with a simple pull of the trigger. In the case of single action semi-automatics, the hammer, if one is present, must be re-****ed in order to re-strike a dud round or the slide racked to remove it. Many double action semi-automatics can re-strike a dud round simply by pulling the trigger, but as with single actions, the slide must be racked otherwise.
* Potential for greater stopping power: The largest and most powerful handgun cartridges are designed for revolvers, owing to their more robust design.
**Not really a comparison**
* Revolvers will easily fire blank ammunition. Most semi-automatics will not fully cycle with blank cartridges, causing malfunctions. Semi-automatics must be specially modified to properly cycle with blank ammunition. This modification renders them incapable of firing other types of ammunition.
**Not even sure why this is here. You can use barrel adapters for SIM rounds etc which give you better training ability over a revolver(although I haven't seen it i guess they have it for them)**
* Spent cartridges are kept in the cylinder making them easier to retrieve for hand reloading or clean-up. Semi-automatics eject cartridges some distance, requiring them to be retrieved for hand loading or clean-up.
**At a range, bend your ass over... in a fire fight, who the hell cares?**
* Storage: Revolvers and speedloaders can be stored loaded indefinitely without issue. The magazines used in semi-automatics have springs which sit under tension when loaded. Unless the magazine is unloaded periodically e.g. one month unloaded to one month loaded, allowing the spring to relax, it may suffer feeding problems.[citation needed]
**Absolutely garbage, the springs can be relaxed in the matter of an hour**
* Greater variety of ammunition: Revolvers can handle a wider variety of bullets, including wadcutters, which will malfunction in most semi-automatics. Wadcutters are designed for target practice, making revolvers more appealing to many sporting shooters.
* Multiple calibers: Many revolvers can load certain interchangeable cartridges, those with identical bore diameters but different case lengths. Interchangeable cartridges include .22 short/long/long rifle, .357 magnum/.38 special, .44 magnum/.44 special, and .45 Colt/.410 shotshells. Note: Please check with the manufacturer.
**Not really an advantage unless you're big on shooting different types, I guess**
* Greater accuracy: Sights are mounted to a fixed barrel, theoretically allowing greater accuracy.
**Theoretical isn't a fact as well as barrel length, type of round, trigger pull, etc are more factors than fixed barrel mounted sights.**
* Easier to determine if loaded: In most revolvers, the cartidges are readily apparent when loaded. An unloaded semi-automatic is often visually identical to a loaded one.
**Dependant on brand but many have a way of telling if they are loaded or not. If you're at the range then do a pressure check and find out. if you're in a gun fight then rack the slide and know for sure**
* Easier to clean and maintain: Revolvers have few exposed moving pieces and do not require disassembly. There is no risk of loss or breakage of pieces when cleaning a revolver. Semi-automatics must be disassembled for cleaning, which may be difficult and risks losing or breaking vital pieces in the field or in darkness.
**Who the hell wrote this thing? This is actually listed as an advantage on a pistol?**

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Instructor certified along with winning their Top Gun award.
Law Enforcement Rifle Training program, also Top Gun award winner
Beretta, M4/M16, Colt, Sig armorer certified
Firearms Instructor 6 years
personal Security and Evasive Driver certified
Close Quarters Combat certifed
Special Reaction Team operator and Team leader for 10 years
12 years as a police officer
6 years active as both a Combat Engineer and Military Policeman

before you have to put snide remarks in to someone's qualifications and experience because they have a difference in opinion, at least ask first...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maryland Police Training Commission Firearms Instructor certified along with winning their Top Gun award.
Law Enforcement Rifle Training program, also Top Gun award winner
Beretta, M4/M16, Colt, Sig armorer certified
Firearms Instructor 6 years
personal Security and Evasive Driver certified
Close Quarters Combat certifed
Special Reaction Team operator and Team leader for 10 years
12 years as a police officer
6 years active as both a Combat Engineer and Military Policeman

before you have to put snide remarks in to someone's qualifications and experience because they have a difference in opinion, at least ask first...
Calm down there killer... I wasnt making any damn snide remarks, nor disregarding any training you have.

Who pissed in your wheaties?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
To eith their own but don't assume people haven't fought in varied climate and conditions. Debris is debris and can increase a potential malfunction...And most people who are looking into pistols are not looking for a weapon to fight in the deserts of the Middle East. to use that experience on how one will operate in normal conditions is misleading.

**True except those carying a pistol will not carry it without a round in the champer and it on fire which makes this comparison worthless**
So you agree then.
**Your average pistol is problem free regardless of the type**
But yet some are known to jam/misfire more than others.
**Not really a comparison**
But oh so tasty for an advantage.
**Not even sure why this is here. You can use barrel adapters for SIM rounds etc which give you better training ability over a revolver(although I haven't seen it i guess they have it for them)**
Eh, it was a copy and paste.
**At a range, bend your ass over... in a fire fight, who the hell cares?**
Again, a copy and paste.
**Absolutely garbage, the springs can be relaxed in the matter of an hour**
Yet, something not to be worried about with a revolver.
Oh yeah baby... who doesnt want to shoot 410s?
**Not really an advantage unless you're big on shooting different types, I guess**
I disagree, I enjoy the fact I can load a shell.
**Theoretical isn't a fact as well as barrel length, type of round, trigger pull, etc are more factors than fixed barrel mounted sights.**
I disagree again... slides then float the sights.
**Dependant on brand but many have a way of telling if they are loaded or not. If you're at the range then do a pressure check and find out. if you're in a gun fight then rack the slide and know for sure**
**Who the hell wrote this thing? This is actually listed as an advantage on a pistol?**
Revolvers are MUCH easier to clean.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I took your last reply as being a bit of a sharp shooter but if it wasn't then I apologize but i still think the semi-auto is a superior weapon over the revolver in most average person scenarios.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I took your last reply as being a bit of a sharp shooter but if it wasn't then I apologize but i still think the semi-auto is a superior weapon over the revolver in most average person scenario.

I love semi's, it is what I carry. I only brought up the reliability issue.

They both have their perks, I was only initially speaking on the reliability issue, then did the copy and paste.

I prefer not to have to put pounds of pull on a trigger to shoot, but you cannot deny that Revolvers do have benefits over semis... and vice versa.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Revolvers are much easier but even the pain in the ass berreta 92fs's aren't bad, even at a full breakdown. Regular cleanings aren't too painful. I just find that most of the advantages listed are more for gun enthusiasts and not the average person who owns 1 maybe 2 pistols. I even recommend a pump shotgun over any pistol for home defense. For CC people, there are many types of semi's that are hammerless and without a safety with a easy trigger pulls that are very reliable; albeit more expensive than an average revolver.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, my personal opinion is that most people with pistols shouldn't be carrying them on their person, much less in their house for protection but i guess that's for another topic.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
shotgun for home def you wake up 3 am to a noise eyes half open adrenaline pumping house is dark and you think your going to hit sh it with a pistol.good luck my 12 gage with 00 buck shot baby.
for fun i do have
2 sks
1 ar 15 drs
2 .22 long
sig 9
and a sh it load of shotguns

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wedlund, I'd argue that wide awake and drinking a cup of coffee, most people would fire several rounds into anything but the body. I'd take a shotgun anyday for HD.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
I've been having a Ruger P91DC 40 cal. for about 15 years, shot hundreds of rounds, and it's never jammed once.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
Calm down there killer... I wasnt making any damn snide remarks, nor disregarding any training you have.

Who pissed in your wheaties?
ahahahahahhaha....that makes me laugh every time i hear it!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Wow, plenty of info back and forth in here.

I grew up with guns, only had to do without em for the last so many years because family fell on hard times and things got sold. I was always an extremely great shot, even on moving targets. I would love to live the military life again, but I have accepted that I am not built for it mentally. Just certain things wont click when it comes to following idiots giving orders that serve no purpose...

I just want something atm for the range and for home defense. Like Jay said, I am not going into "combat situations" with it. Guess something could go horribly wrong, zombie invasion or the likes, and I would want something with more than 6 shots per speed loader.

This is only the first on my list. I do plan to pick up a .45, probably next year. And eventually a new rifle, honestly I want to get my hands on one of them old stock Mosin Nagants(which I have held/played with one) or an old K98 German issue.

Looking into getting a concealed carry, and I am planning to move to TN later this year so...guns are more open and accepted down south. Screw Ohio.

I guess I do still have my old .22 Ruger I learned to shoot with as a kid here, but not enough bang for me. :D

Thanks for the input, I am researching all the revolvers tossed out, as well as still searching. Its probably 2-3 months before I buy. Making sure I get what I want, dont have tons of throw away cash.

Thank you for all the input.

Also my dream pistol is a Five- Seven lol....but currently out of my price range.

BTW question Jay, I was contemplating going to some of the combat training you can get in on as a civilian. The kind of stuff that gets people qualified for Bodyguard/ private contracting. Not to do either of those, but to have the CQC, and firearms training that would make me a better man quality wise to look out for a family some day. Worth the coin down the road?

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, my personal opinion is that most people with pistols shouldn't be carrying them on their person, much less in their house for protection but i guess that's for another topic.
i agree most ppl shouldn't carry pistols on them, they are way to easy to get for these freaks to be walking around with them, i know most bars in my area don't metal detect....but after i did some training with my buddy who's state police, he said he'll never leave his house without having one on him, he carries a revolver as his personal gun, i like semi's because of the amount of shots you get my clips hold 16 which is a nice advantage, even though i don't expect to ever be in a shoot out

i also prefer the shotgun for home defense because if you hear someone coming in the door you can blast through the door to get em out before they even get in haha

the only problem i ever had with a semi was actually a bullet mal function, i thought something was up with my gun, turns out the coper piece on the back of hte bullet wasn't there so it couldn't shoot, but those were crappy range bullets not the hydro shox in the home clip

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
Wow, plenty of info back and forth in here.

I grew up with guns, only had to do without em for the last so many years because family fell on hard times and things got sold. I was always an extremely great shot, even on moving targets. I would love to live the military life again, but I have accepted that I am not built for it mentally. Just certain things wont click when it comes to following idiots giving orders that serve no purpose...

I just want something atm for the range and for home defense. Like Jay said, I am not going into "combat situations" with it. Guess something could go horribly wrong, zombie invasion or the likes, and I would want something with more than 6 shots per speed loader.

This is only the first on my list. I do plan to pick up a .45, probably next year. And eventually a new rifle, honestly I want to get my hands on one of them old stock Mosin Nagants(which I have held/played with one) or an old K98 German issue.

Looking into getting a concealed carry, and I am planning to move to TN later this year so...guns are more open and accepted down south. Screw Ohio.

I guess I do still have my old .22 Ruger I learned to shoot with as a kid here, but not enough bang for me. :D

Thanks for the input, I am researching all the revolvers tossed out, as well as still searching. Its probably 2-3 months before I buy. Making sure I get what I want, dont have tons of throw away cash.

Thank you for all the input.

Also my dream pistol is a Five- Seven lol....but currently out of my price range.

BTW question Jay, I was contemplating going to some of the combat training you can get in on as a civilian. The kind of stuff that gets people qualified for Bodyguard/ private contracting. Not to do either of those, but to have the CQC, and firearms training that would make me a better man quality wise to look out for a family some day. Worth the coin down the road?

you live in ohio? for some reason i thought you were canadian....

:usa:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Screw that. I think the right to carry is to restricted. Thank God I live in missouri with the right to concealed carry. Sorry, but the "bad" people already have the weapon, at least my state allows a level playing field.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Screw that. I think the right to carry is to restricted. Thank God I live in missouri with the right to concealed carry. Sorry, but the "bad" people already have the weapon, at least my state allows a level playing field.
This... it seriously boggles my mind. WTF do concealed carry laws, and firearms laws do to stop crime? NOTHING. They simply keep the good guys/innocents from fighting back. Thank God they passed the Castle Law here.

As in...your on my property doing something you shouldnt be after dark, then your fair game for hunting season :D Well technically if its putting my family or me at risk. But still.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Arizona made CC legal without a permit. Winners.

Off topic, I am seriously tempted to get a LaRue AR. Ive been saving up and Im probably 100 short right now.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The problem with me is more along the lines with people being more hazardous than helpful in most situations. Your majority of folks rarely see a range and almost never train in high stress situations. Most of your cops do not shoot their weapons outside of the range and go look up the statistics on rounds fired/target hit ratio... It isn't pretty. Making it too easy and available just magnifies the gang shooting scenario. Lots of bullets, lots of wounded/killed but none are the intended targets. If you know everyone has the right to carry concealed in your state you're going to be a lot more on edge if in a confrontation and a person makes any sudden moves.

I'm all for everyone being able to carry but i'm also very much for required certification to do so.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not to confuse certification with registration. I think carrying a gun in public should be similar to having a driver's license. Something that needs renewal and should test your ability in both a hands-on and written and set in classes not in particular model you own.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
The problem with me is more along the lines with people being more hazardous than helpful in most situations. Your majority of folks rarely see a range and almost never train in high stress situations. Most of your cops do not shoot their weapons outside of the range and go look up the statistics on rounds fired/target hit ratio... It isn't pretty. Making it too easy and available just magnifies the gang shooting scenario. Lots of bullets, lots of wounded/killed but none are the intended targets. If you know everyone has the right to carry concealed in your state you're going to be a lot more on edge if in a confrontation and a person makes any sudden moves.

I'm all for everyone being able to carry but i'm also very much for required certification to do so.
Her in OH you have to take a class to get a permit to concealed carry. But I agree about most people honestly not knowing how to handle a gun, or even being a good shot with one. Average Joe may not even be able to hold a gun steady in a situation of being robbed and possibly entering a shootout with the guy. Not everyone is able to kiss death I guess.

Part of the reason its my opinion that people are too soft today. No one knows how to wield a gun, or hunt, or skin, or gut a fish, or basic survival skills, etc,etc,etc. Stuff that would qualify you as a man years ago today is past times few consider.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
BTW I changed my mind. I am getting an M4, 5.56 :D

Yeah its a lil crazy for home defense, but still....will take a little longer to save for, but you have to admit. Well worth it:lol: Assault rifle > all

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BTW I changed my mind. I am getting an M4, 5.56 :D

Yeah its a lil crazy for home defense, but still....will take a little longer to save for, but you have to admit. Well worth it:lol: Assault rifle > all
If you are expanding your horizon, for home defense, M2 Tac > All

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
on that end i went much simpler, a mossberg 500 with this set of stocks added

I think it was just a smidge over $300 total

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Very very tempting actually, do you own one?

on that end i went much simpler, a mossberg 500 with this set of stocks added

I think it was just a smidge over $300 total
What stock is that on your Moss 500 ?

The moss 500 is very popular, where I was looking they have one for $330, no stock.

I suppose a shotgun would be fine as long as I am going to be living alone when I get out there soon.

The M4 would run me about $1,000 then again its an assault rifle(obviously dumbed down to single fire for legal reasons).

The pistols I was looking at around $450-$600 depending on model.

BTW Ohio is being pushed to pass a new law for carry concealed permits that allow people to carry them into bars/restaurants/etc. Another reason why a pistol may be handy, I do plan to get a concealed carry.

The actual purchase would be about 4-5 months off for a shotty or pistol, but if I save to the M4 it will be about 8.(Doing side jobs for money for it). They do have AK47's for about $450 lol.

Shotgun would probably be choice for home defence, but I also want something I can waste an hour or so at the range with on a saturday every once in awhile. And NATO ammo is cheap, then again so are shotgun shells.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
And why is that exactly?

I carry all the time.

Edit- DAdams said enough.

Show me bish!... lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What stock is that on your Moss 500 ?

The moss 500 is very popular, where I was looking they have one for $330, no stock.
the one I actually have isn't made anymore. But its basically that one, in all steel. They sell the nylon ones (which are still fine) for anywhere from $45-70. Realistically going with the 18.5 mossberg 500 mariner edition (stainless steel) http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=71967 and that stock is a safe no brainer home defense unit. The sound of racking the slide in a shotgun is pretty well enough to get any home invader jumping back out the window, since its a sound universally recognized :) And being stainless, easy to keep clean, and no issues if it gets wet for some dumb reason.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Assault rifle for home protection is worthless, useless and dangerous... Shotgun or pistol with knockdown power. Unless you're picking off tresspassers on your 100+acre property you're not getting anything out of an assault rifle. They're fun at the range though. I'd choose a pump shotgun over any other weapon for HP.

As for my earlier comment about people not carrying weapons...

I've trained hundreds of people and most were cops and i'm also prior military and in my past 15 years i've have met a handful of people who can fire in high stress situations that do not belong to a tactical/advanced shooting team. There's also a difference between being an aggressor in a fire fight and being reactionary when you're the target.

I'm all for home protection but not for every day carry. The average person in a fist fight lives to see another day. Same fight with one carrying a weapon is likely to use it to 'defend themselves". I just think having a lethal force ability at your side puts a situation into a level that it wouldn't have been in without it. However, that opinion aside, I still believe you should have that right as long as you show you can wield it properly and effectively.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Assault rifle for home protection is worthless, useless and dangerous... Shotgun or pistol with knockdown power. Unless you're picking off tresspassers on your 100+acre property you're not getting anything out of an assault rifle. They're fun at the range though. I'd choose a pump shotgun over any other weapon for HP.

I've trained hundreds of people and most were cops and i'm also prior military and in my past 15 years i've have met a handful of people who can fire in high stress situations that do not belong to a tactical/advanced shooting team. There's also a difference between being an aggressor in a fire fight and being reactionary when you're the target.

I'm all for home protection but not for every day carry. The average person in a fist fight lives to see another day. Same fight with one carrying a weapon is likely to use it to 'defend themselves". I just think having a lethal force ability at your side puts a situation into a level that it wouldn't have been in without it. However, that opinion aside, I still believe you should have that right as long as you show you can wield it properly and effectively.
I pretty much agree with you on all points. Especially home protection.

Conceal is not for everyone. I was trained if you pull it, you use it.

Pretty simple, if I can flee, I will. If my life or my loved ones life is threatened and there is no escape.

I will protect it with lethal force. Done deal.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Understood, it would be precisely for taking to the range on weekends, but if it would be the only one I had it would be used for home def, with the length being the major issue and it being semi-automatic weapon(since conversion is currently illegal).

I think I may choose the weapon depending on the area I end up at. Low risk-pistol, higher risk of a home invasion-shotgun. I still want that M4 for the range, last time I shot a weapon like that was a couple years ago now... :(

This being the issue, the highlighted part. Most people i know cant even react in a "bad situation" normally, but a couple want permits. I am not sure on current testing procedures, but I was wondering if they put the trainee in position of high stress, or do they just say "here shoot these stationary targets posing no threat, downrange". I think most people are really just too afraid to die, which prevents them from actually being able to make the actions to allow them to live...

As for it upping it to the next level...that is very true. But the thing is, I cant just get in a good old fashioned fist fight no more. His buddies will jump in, gang up on you and beat you almost to the point of death. Or most wannabe hoodrats around here already pack, there is no fist fight...just a mindless idiot with a gun, which is why I firmly believe in concealed carry. They have no respect for life, just want to slit your throat for 20 bucks towards their next hit of crack.

Technically as long as its visible you dont need any permit. Such as with a visible pistol in its holster at your side. The problem with this is, if you are going to get jumped/robbed they instantly take it to a higher level where they may just kill you first then rob you, instead of pulling a knife/gun and asking for cash. That and your 6 O'clock is a constant risk, someone comes from behind you may be fighting for your gun, and your life. And that is why I find the concealed carry permit a great addition to any mans arsenal of self defense, as well as being fit, and trained in a self defense combat technique(ex. Martial Arts).

I pretty much agree with you on all points. Especially home protection.

Conceal is not for everyone. I was trained if you pull it, you use it.

Pretty simple, if I can flee, I will. If my life or my loved ones life is threatened and there is no escape.

I will protect it with lethal force. Done deal.
My teachings have been if it comes down to being a MUST to avoid allowing yourself of friends/family to come into danger, brandish the weapon as a deterrent, and if they make a move or go for their own....their mistake.

Once "backing away" aka being able to safely get away from the situation, vanishes as an option, to me raising the level of authority and presence I myself present becomes the next step. And in my opinion, some stranger who made the mistake of threatening me or someone I love, has as much value to his life as a mosquito. Its his mistake, not mine. If he doesnt back down at that point, its my opinion he pulled the trigger on himself. Because I am only "reacting" to them. Because nothing would ever have happened had they just stayed a law abiding citizen and didnt decide that hurting another being for cash/fun was ok to them.

I was also always taught make sure when I shoot its lethal that way there is only one side to the argument lol. But thats just a redneck teaching.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My teachings have been if it comes down to being a MUST to avoid allowing yourself of friends/family to come into danger, brandish the weapon as a deterrent, and if they make a move or go for their own....their mistake.

Once "backing away" aka being able to safely get away from the situation, vanishes as an option, to me raising the level of authority and presence I myself present becomes the next step. And in my opinion, some stranger who made the mistake of threatening me or someone I love, has as much value to his life as a mosquito. Its his mistake, not mine. If he doesnt back down at that point, its my opinion he pulled the trigger on himself. Because I am only "reacting" to them. Because nothing would ever have happened had they just stayed a law abiding citizen and didnt decide that hurting another being for cash/fun was ok to them.

I was also always taught make sure when I shoot its lethal that way there is only one side to the argument lol. But thats just a redneck teaching.
It really should never be used as a deterrent. If a situation is escalated to the point where you feel the need to pull the weapon out, the only delay in pulling the trigger should be how long it takes you to aim appropriately. Using a weapon as a deterrent can end up with you becoming the person in jail.... And always lethal if it does come out. Dead criminals can't lie when they get on the stand :)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It really should never be used as a deterrent. If a situation is escalated to the point where you feel the need to pull the weapon out, the only delay in pulling the trigger should be how long it takes you to aim appropriately. Using a weapon as a deterrent can end up with you becoming the person in jail.... And always lethal if it does come out. Dead criminals can't lie when they get on the stand :)
lol, like I said my redneck teachings say "Shoot till it dead boy, shoot till it dead!"

Then again, showing up in court...clean cut, with absolutely nothing on my record, in ministry leadership, and as kind of a person as I "usually" present myself standing across from some hoodrat with a history of boosting cars, stealing, and drug charges...Not too worried about going to jail for using a gun in defensive reasons, and sparing his/her life if applicable.

I live in a nice neighborhood, mostly old white people so its quite lol. But I have friends I go see in the ghetto, and I usually dress decent which means I get looked at weird.

But you are pretty much right....In a war situation, its easier. You can kill and its a duty, would not bother my mind at all. The mentality of it if its some 16 year old punk who tried to pull a knife but could still have his life turned around, I may feel guilty over. Killing a grown man who has sown his seeds of destruction, would not bother me a bit. But kids are kids, and I know its said that once they are old enough to grab a gun they can be considered men. But still. I would still pull that trigger if he took another step, or if he went for a gun, and yes sir it would be fatal for him/her. But some people a scare like that could actually turn their lives around. At least I try to hope it could for someone. Obviously I know they already have a gun, its instantly shoot to kill. But if its a punk with a knife, it just seems there is a non-lethal way out in my opinion.

I am all for war, and the chance at freedom it brings, and for justice. But in a day to day life my extremities die down.