Mulching Lawnmower

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
This was one of my Myspace blogs:
Hey guys, fall is coming and that means leaves. I don't even bother racking my leaves anymore. I mean, why would I when I have a mulching lawnmower. Every year people dump pounds of leaves and grass into their trash. Since all of this made out of nutrients from your yard, you are basically shipping pounds of nutrients out of your yard every year. Whats the f@$ng point!? Just get a mulching lawnmower and save yourself some trips to the trashcan .

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
As someone who is a quasi-environmentalist and works in the recycling field, I'd agree to that. The "downside" to mulching instead of bagging is that people who are not diligent enough to mow often enough find themselves with a giant mess when they go bagless. I'm all for putting the nutrients back in the soil and NOT in the landfill. During the summer months, up to 75% of the waste generated in Pennsylvania is compostable yardwaste. To NOT do something useful with it is simply 'tarded.

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
And to add to that, it's actually less work. It goes so quickly when you just have to push the thing around your yard with until your done, and then you just put it away.

pool_shark

pool_shark

Awards
Mulching can be good, but it also has a downfall because of it's ability to create a very thatched lawn.
It hinders the effectiveness of over seeding and fertilization and de-thatching is not easy manually or inexpensive to hire someone.

You can rent a lawn de-thatcher from home depot or even the city in which you live, but if you live alone like me, it's hard to transport it back and forth.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Mulching can be good, but it also has a downfall because of it's ability to create a very thatched lawn.
It hinders the effectiveness of over seeding and fertilization and de-thatching is not easy manually or inexpensive to hire someone.

You can rent a lawn de-thatcher from home depot or even the city in which you live, but if you live alone like me, it's hard to transport it back and forth.
Ideally, if a lawn is mulched properly with a mower, it is mowed so often that the grass only grows about 1/4" before it is cut again. Mulching it when you're cutting down 3" is a completely different story...one that's more of a horror and shouldn't be done! The problem is that most simply don't take the time to mow often enough to do it correctly.