Let us talk BBQ's!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So me and a seller have just come to an agreement on a house, and move in come in around a month. Well to celebrate, I want to christen the new place with an outstanding new grill. I am what you would call a Grilled Meat Connoisseur.

Anyway, I am looking at a new ceramic type grill. Expensive? Yes. But at what price does great meat come at? :D I don't do gas grills, so not even an option. I actually have it narrowed down to two types, and was hoping someone here has had the pleasure of owning one.

So the two I need opinions on are:

The Big Green Egg
Big Green Egg, World's Best Smoker and Grill

The Grill Dome
GRILL DOME KAMADO : Making Quality Kamados since 1989

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Sorry bro, I can't help you on this one. I cannot justify spending that much money for a pit. I built my own BBQ/smoker.

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
No... I work at fabrication shop that builds, dare I say it, oil and gas production equipment. It's built out of 5/16" steel. Thick enough to hold a lot of heat and too heavy for any one to borrow.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've used a Green Egg that a friend back in California owns - it was quite nice. Haven't used the other one.

I own a Traeger and love the thing. I don't go out for steak anymore cuz I can make it just as good at home.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
The BGE looks good. Would the Kamado come with a stand or anything or would it be placed on the ground/on a separate stand?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The BGE looks good. Would the Kamado come with a stand or anything or would it be placed on the ground/on a separate stand?
They have a stand, but I would build my own to customize my outdoor kitchen. I see the BGE is only painted steel, and the Dome Grill is Stainless, so you wouldnt have to cover it when not in use.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
BGE is pretty damn nice. I don't personally own one but know people who do and they swear by the thing

rippedforce63

Awards
  • Established
both of those look solid man, i'm with ya on the no propane thing. I run the garden dept at my local home depot and i always try to sell people on the merits of charcoal/wood chips over propane but everybody like the convienence of propane, ehhh oh well.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Get a real smoker. Those are just awkward looking.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Get a real smoker. Those are just awkward looking.

The quality of that smoker does not stack up to a ceramic Kamado. Awkward or not, you just cannot match a ceramic grill in quality of meat they produce.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
The quality of that smoker does not stack up to a ceramic Kamado. Awkward or not, you just cannot match a ceramic grill in quality of meat they produce.
Grilling is like smoking's bitch kid brother. I dont buy into the ceramic stuff. Even in cookware. I prefer cast iron and gauged steel. Good meat comes from the cut and freshness, and is in the preparers hands, not so much the bizarre contraptions like that.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
BGE FTW!!!

I have owned one for about 6 years now...just gets better with age!

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Grilling is like smoking's bitch kid brother. I dont buy into the ceramic stuff. Even in cookware. I prefer cast iron and gauged steel. Good meat comes from the cut and freshness, and is in the preparers hands, not so much the bizarre contraptions like that.
You do understand what I have posted are smokers as well right? And you do realize that ceramics porus/dense surfaces reflect moisture back into the meat whereas cast iron and steel require constant replacement of oxygen thus drying out the product. Lets not forget the fact of the lost energy required to be replaced frequently in a metal unit.

Oh, and lets not forget these have lifetime warranties.

So in summary:
* Kamado = Better Everything.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BGE FTW!!!

I have owned one for about 6 years now...just gets better with age!
Any problems with the painted steel? That is the only thing on the BGE that isn't guaranteed for life.

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
Any problems with the painted steel? That is the only thing on the BGE that isn't guaranteed for life.
Yeah...that is a sad spot. Mine has been kept outside its whole life...the hinges are a bit rusty. I was just thinking about replacing them the other day actually. My bro-in-law has had his just as long, but keeps his in the garage with no rust at all though.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah...that is a sad spot. Mine has been kept outside its whole life...the hinges are a bit rusty. I was just thinking about replacing them the other day actually. My bro-in-law has had his just as long, but keeps his in the garage with no rust at all though.
This was my only draw to the other one... but I do see you can buy stainless steel accessories for the BGE.

Damn, where is a pepsi challenge when you need one? :D

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hmmm... I wonder how well the cover for the BGE protects the steel components. This is because it would remain outside like yours does.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
You do understand what I have posted are smokers as well right? And you do realize that ceramics porus/dense surfaces reflect moisture back into the meat whereas cast iron and steel require constant replacement of oxygen thus drying out the product. Lets not forget the fact of the lost energy required to be replaced frequently in a metal unit.

So in summary:
Id put money down I'd still make better tasting stuff in my steel smoker. Its not the piece of equipment that you should blow all your money on...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Id put money down I'd still make better tasting stuff in my steel smoker. Its not the piece of equipment that you should blow all your money on...
Haha... nice.

And here is my e-c0ck:
8====================================D

Big right?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
TT,
Please point out anywhere that you were invited in here to spout off about your "Steel Smoker". I believe my initial post was asking for opinions on two specific grills, and then you go on about your meat tasting better all others under the sun. Seriously man... going to start pulling some hair next?

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
TT,
Please point out anywhere that you were invited in here to spout off about your "Steel Smoker". I believe my initial post was asking for opinions on two specific grills, and then you go on about your meat tasting better all others under the sun. Seriously man... going to start pulling some hair next?
Im saying, preparation is not in the equipment, but the preparer and recommend you expand your consideration. I didnt talk up my meat per se, but tried to emphasize the point made in the first sentence. Go look at the people who do BBQ for a living and competitions, they arent using those little eggs.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im saying, preparation is not in the equipment, but the preparer and recommend you expand your consideration. I didnt talk up my meat per se, but tried to emphasize the point made in the first sentence. Go look at the people who do BBQ for a living and competitions, they arent using those little eggs.
I fully understand the preparation.. I currently utilize a metal smoker. I have used a Kamado Grill/Smoker and found the meat to be superior to the metal type smoker, utilizing the same techniques and preparation I currently utilize.

I am unconcerned with BBQ competitors as they have no impact upon the way I prepare my meals, or how I spend my money on a unit.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
I fully understand the preparation.. I currently utilize a metal smoker. I have used a Kamado Grill/Smoker and found the meat to be superior to the metal type smoker, utilizing the same techniques and preparation I currently utilize.

I am unconcerned with BBQ competitors as they have no impact upon the way I prepare my meals, or how I spend my money on a unit.
Regardless, you have to look at professionals and their methods. You cant really discount them. Thats fine if you believe the meat is better using the same techniques in different things. Improve your techniques, not the equipment. Its like using "better supplements" instead of changing/improving your diet. I get just as good if not better results that people who use ceramic cast iron dutch ovens versus mine that is just regular cast iron. Its in the preparation, work on that instead of dropping god awful amounts on that ****. Hell, putting a water trey into the smoker could help just as much.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Regardless, you have to look at professionals and their methods. You cant really discount them. Thats fine if you believe the meat is better using the same techniques in different things. Improve your techniques, not the equipment. Its like using "better supplements" instead of changing/improving your diet. I get just as good if not better results that people who use ceramic cast iron dutch ovens versus mine that is just regular cast iron. Its in the preparation, work on that instead of dropping god awful amounts on that ****. Hell, putting a water trey into the smoker could help just as much.
Man, round and round we go. Again, I am unconcerned on your idea of what I should spend my money on.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

So in summary:
I never knew that's what ceramic does. I've always wondered why ceramic cookware was so expensive.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anyone have anything actually worthy to post about these two grills?