Anyone fire a Mosine Nagant?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Anyone fire a Mosin Nagant?

I was thinking of buying a m14 but it's expensive. I'm now thinking of buying an old Mosin Nagant to hunt deer with, since the rifle are pretty cheap, being around $100. Anybody ever fire one?

Pipeliner

Awards
I used to carry one in my ranch truck. They are a tough rifle. It won't be a tack driver but for white tail sized deer they are a great gun that you don't have to worry about getting dirty.

dpfisher

Get the headspace checked by a gunsmith. These things were made by russian peasants. For the first shot, I would clamp it to a table and pull a string tied to the trigger just to make sure you don't lose your face. If it works and the brass doesn't look bulged, then have fun. They are cheap to shoot and they are INCREDIBLY loud.

The only other thing I might caution you about is I don't think you will be able to find hollowpoints for one of those, making it not the best for hunting. You could probably find a used Remington 700 pretty cheap if you look at pawn shops and such, that's a great deer gun which is pretty ubiquitous.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I'd rather go with a Mauser. To this day they hands down have the best bolt action assembly, especially the Swedish Mauser.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I think if you got one of the finer Mosin Nagants(more than 100 bucks though) you would be holding in your hands one of the greatest rifles of all time. The Mosin Nagant, the K98, Lee Enfield, Springfield. All amazing weapons from times past.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I think I'd rather go with a Mauser. To this day they hands down have the best bolt action assembly, especially the Swedish Mauser.
But Mausers are more expensive. I would prefer a Mauser too but Mosins are cheaper.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
But Mausers are more expensive. I would prefer a Mauser too but Mosins are cheaper.
A pretty decent shape Mauser can be had for around 250. Stock may needs some refurnishing, but good working order. I know you said you were looking around the 100 range, but it becomes hard to find a real reliable rifle in that range that won't require some real work done to it. Even the Nagants will be like that. Save a little bit longer and get a better, more reliable, better conditioned rifle and in the long run I think you'll be happier. At least I would.

side note: check out shotgun news (great source or buying/selling guns)
a friend of mine was able to buy a Mauser converted to 30/06, conditioned great for just a tad over 300. It's a great rifle, with probably the best all around hunting round.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
I got an AR-15 I'll sell ya cheap! It's just sitting here.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
The Finish Mosin's are the best. When they declared independence from Russia, they seized the Mosin's in the Armory. Not being happy with Russian engineering, they took the liberty to upgrade the barrels and the sights.

The surplus rounds are cheap as dirt. Just make sure you clean your gun each time you shoot it because of the corrosive residue. For deer hunting, you can purchase hunting rounds for the Mosin.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
A pretty decent shape Mauser can be had for around 250. Stock may needs some refurnishing, but good working order. I know you said you were looking around the 100 range, but it becomes hard to find a real reliable rifle in that range that won't require some real work done to it. Even the Nagants will be like that. Save a little bit longer and get a better, more reliable, better conditioned rifle and in the long run I think you'll be happier. At least I would.

side note: check out shotgun news (great source or buying/selling guns)
a friend of mine was able to buy a Mauser converted to 30/06, conditioned great for just a tad over 300. It's a great rifle, with probably the best all around hunting round.
Yeah maybe I will save for a K98, those rifles are just beautiful.

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Its so cheap, why not just get them both?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I don't see a reason to get a mosin and a mauser.