1.5 days to save the internet as we know it... free. MUST READ!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
this needs to be in supplement section so more people can see it. i had no idea this was happening. it will i suppose eventually happen but it is up to us to delay this for as long as possible.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
:bsflag: I'm going to be pissed if this happens.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Yes Comcast had suit filed against it for cherry picking what content it provided. I don't recall the outcome but believe they lost and then they petitioned the FCC. When you have a federal govt that takes control of all private sector industries, what else would you expect. We are rapidly becoming the United States of China.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Be careful what you sign here. This is a request for the FCC to take over all governance of US internet. This comes on the heals of the FCC wanting to institute a broadband tax.

The FCC isn't known for keeping things open and free.

Something to think about.

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
Be careful what you sign here. This is a request for the FCC to take over all governance of US internet. This comes on the heals of the FCC wanting to institute a broadband tax.

The FCC isn't known for keeping things open and free.

Something to think about.
If you read through it you'll see it's not like there's much of a choice. Someone's going to govern it eventually, but we may be able to keep it free for a little while longer if not permanently.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you read through it you'll see it's not like there's much of a choice. Someone's going to govern it eventually, but we may be able to keep it free for a little while longer if not permanently.
exactly, it's only a matter of time before the internet becomes a fee for use industry. we need to do all we can to keep it free for as long as we can.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There is alot more to this than presented on that page, and backing the FCC as the solution is only adding fuel to the fire, giving the government the right to govern is bass ackwards of the real issue at hand. All due respect to your sensational thread title, but this whole black hole now or die thing has been the same old story for going on three years now.

I am all for complete free and open internet airwaves, but to say the FCC is the answer is quite the opposite. Throughput is cheap, and ironically many of the ISPs have been fighting the real fight, whereas brother government wants to tax your bits.

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
There is alot more to this than presented on that page, and backing the FCC as the solution is only adding fuel to the fire, giving the government the right to govern is bass ackwards of the real issue at hand. All due respect to your sensational thread title, but this whole black hole now or die thing has been the same old story for going on three years now.

I am all for complete free and open internet airwaves, but to say the FCC is the answer is quite the opposite. Throughput is cheap, and ironically many of the ISPs have been fighting the real fight, whereas brother government wants to tax your bits.
Here's what the petition says:

The FCC must reclassify broadband as a "telecommunications service" so that it can keep the Internet open and free of corporate gatekeepers.

Without vital Net Neutrality protections and the ability to enforce them, the Internet will cease to be a public platform for free speech, equal opportunity, economic growth and innovation. Instead, companies like AT&T, Verizon and Comcast, which have a commercial incentive to limit the free-flowing Web, will decide whose voices are heard.

You still have the power to protect the public interest. Please stand with us and keep the Internet in the hands of the people who use it every day.

Oh, and feel free to read about Net Neutrality on Wiki.

Everyone's got an opinion, so no problem with you stating yours.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
This will be interesting, yet I honestly think for once we shouldnt worry too much. See, while steroids will be banned, supplements ravaged, etc,etc....no way could they take away Lardo's(average american) Internet freedoms and gaming speed.

If you want people to make noise against it, hit up Gamefaqs and touch every board with it, get on Gamespot, get on the net and gamer forums and something like this literally would fail in comparison the the rejection by that kind of public.

THat being said, I dont think this will come about anytime soon, But I do see us having a "big brother" program like China has. Which I would just hack/crack any ways and bybass...Freedoms, you cant have mine...

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
This will be interesting, yet I honestly think for once we shouldnt worry too much. See, while steroids will be banned, supplements ravaged, etc,etc....no way could they take away Lardo's(average american) Internet freedoms and gaming speed.

If you want people to make noise against it, hit up Gamefaqs and touch every board with it, get on Gamespot, get on the net and gamer forums and something like this literally would fail in comparison the the rejection by that kind of public.

THat being said, I dont think this will come about anytime soon, But I do see us having a "big brother" program like China has. Which I would just hack/crack any ways and bybass...Freedoms, you cant have mine...
haha well said, ya tell the gamers in the land of narnia fighting trolls and **** know about this and they will flip

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which I would just hack/crack any ways and bybass...Freedoms, you cant have mine...
This is exactly my thought. As a complete computer geek, there will always be a way around it. Much like Chinese/Australians that use hosted services in other countries to access banned material.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
This is exactly my thought. As a complete computer geek, there will always be a way around it. Much like Chinese/Australians that use hosted services in other countries to access banned material.
There are sites that allow you to "ping" from another country(germany, czech republic, all over man) and basically appear there.

They will get some nice usage out of their services should something like this come about.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
damn, while you computer smart young guys are hacking and cracking, my dumb old asss will be paying and paying, lol.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
U.S. court rules against FCC on Net neutrality

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36193558/ns/technology_and_science-security/

WASHINGTON - A federal court threw the future of Internet regulations and U.S. broadband expansion plans into doubt Tuesday with a far-reaching decision that went against the Federal Communications Commission.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia ruled that the FCC lacks authority to require broadband providers to give equal treatment to all Internet traffic flowing over their networks. That was a big victory for Comcast Corp., the nation's largest cable company, which had challenged the FCC's authority to impose such "network neutrality" obligations on broadband providers.

The unanimous ruling by the three-judge panel marks a serious setback for the FCC, which is trying to adopt official net neutrality regulations. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, a Democrat, argues such rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from using their control over Internet access to favor some kinds of online content and services over others.

The case centers on Comcast's actions in 2007 when it interfered with an online file-sharing service called BitTorrent, which allows users to swap big files such as movies over the Internet. But public interest groups stressed that the ramifications of Tuesday's ruling are much broader. That's because it undercuts the FCC's ability to prevent broadband providers from becoming gatekeepers for many kinds of online services, potentially including Internet phone programs and software that runs in a Web browser.

"Today's appeals court decision means there are no protections in the law for consumers' broadband services," Gigi Sohn, co-founder of Public Knowledge, said in a statement. "Companies selling Internet access are free to play favorites with content on their networks, to throttle certain applications or simply to block others."

The decision also has serious implications for the massive national broadband plan released by the FCC last month. The FCC needs clear authority to regulate broadband in order to push ahead with some its key recommendations, including a proposal to expand broadband by tapping the federal fund that subsidizes telephone service in poor and rural communities.

In a statement, the FCC said it remains "firmly committed to promoting an open Internet and to policies that will bring the enormous benefits of broadband to all Americans" and "will rest these policies ... on a solid legal foundation."

Comcast welcomed the decision, saying "our primary goal was always to clear our name and reputation."

At the heart of the court case is Comcast's challenge of a 2008 FCC order banning it from blocking subscribers from using BitTorrent. The commission, at the time headed by Republican Kevin Martin, based its order on a set of net neutrality principles adopted in 2005.

But Comcast argued that the FCC order was illegal because the agency was seeking to enforce mere policy principles, which don't have the force of regulations or law. That's one reason that Genachowski is now trying to formalize those rules.

The cable company had also argued the FCC lacks authority to mandate net neutrality because it had deregulated broadband under the Bush administration, a decision upheld by the Supreme Court in 2005.

The FCC now defines broadband as a lightly regulated information service. That means it is not subject to the obligations traditional telecommunications services have to share their networks with competitors and treat all traffic equally. But the FCC maintains that existing law gives it authority to set rules for information services, including net neutrality rules.

Tuesday's court decision rejected that reasoning, concluding that Congress has not given the FCC "untrammeled freedom" to regulate without explicit legal authority.

With so much at stake, the FCC now has several options. It could ask Congress to give it explicit authority to regulate broadband. Or it could appeal Tuesday's decision.

But both of those steps could take too long because the agency "has too many important things they have to do right away," said Ben Scott, policy director for the public interest group Free Press. Free Press was among the groups that alerted the FCC to Comcast's behavior after The Associated Press ran tests and reported that the cable company was interfering with attempts by some subscribers to share files online.

The more likely scenario, Scott believes, is that the agency will simply reclassify broadband as a more heavily regulated telecommunications service. That, ironically, could be the worst-case outcome from the perspective of the phone and cable companies.

"Comcast swung an ax at the FCC to protest the BitTorrent order," Scott said. "And they sliced right through the FCC's arm and plunged the ax into their own back."

The battle over the FCC's legal jurisdiction comes amid a larger policy dispute over the merits of net neutrality. Backed by Internet companies such as Google Inc. and the online calling service Skype, the FCC says rules are needed to prevent phone and cable companies from prioritizing some traffic or degrading or services that compete with their core businesses. Indeed, BitTorrent can be used to transfer large files such as online video, which could threaten Comcast's cable TV business.

But broadband providers such as Comcast, AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. argue that after spending billions of dollars on their networks, they should be able to manage their systems to offer premium services and prevent high-bandwidth applications such as BitTorrent from hogging capacity.

For its part, the FCC offered no details on its next step, but stressed that it remains committed to the principle of net neutrality.

"Today's court decision invalidated the prior commission's approach to preserving an open Internet," the agency's statement said. "But the court in no way disagreed with the importance of preserving a free and open Internet; nor did it close the door to other methods for achieving this important end."

Not off to a good start...

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not true, this may be prime time to start up an Internet Service provider company and undercut the hell out of every one and provide what service is out there now. Easy money, and you will hoe check every Provider thinking about this...
And this is exactly what is happening.

Everyone is pointing the big bad finger at even these ISPs, but unfortunately it is the court systems that is forcing their hand. ISPs have been found liable in court for providing the avenue for digital piracy. So if anyone wants to lay blame at some feet, you have the RIAA, the MPAA, and the US court system to blame. I LOATH comcast, but the idea that they are the head of the hydra is ominous in nature. In my eyes it is all a big rouse to garner a want for expanding the federal control over yet another free arena.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
you have the RIAA, the MPAA, and the US court system to blame.
No one denies that the RIAA/MPAA are the most vile organizations contributing to this. Even artists have openly spoken about not receiving a dime from the giant lawsuits that get settled against a single mothers, college students, and in some cases the elderly.

I don't have the link, but in one instance, they even tried to sue someone who had passed away previous to the claimed incident, if I remember correctly.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No one denies that the RIAA/MPAA are the most vile organizations contributing to this. Even artists have openly spoken about not receiving a dime from the giant lawsuits that get settled against a single mothers, college students, and in some cases the elderly.

I don't have the link, but in one instance, they even tried to sue someone who had passed away previous to the claimed incident, if I remember correctly.
Yeah, a couple adolescent children got the barrel end of RIAA as well. This is one reason it broke my heart that Metallica back's the RIAA, now I just cannot bring myself to listen to any of their music anymore.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

But, it doesn't matter anymore... the Record Industry giants are a thing of the past, and now the indy labels are moving up in the world. You have people like NIN giving their stuff away for free, places like Russia with no copyright laws, and online digital music stores, the megalithic Record Companies are beginning to go away.

AtomStrange

AtomStrange

Awards
But, it doesn't matter anymore... the Record Industry giants are a thing of the past, and now the indy labels are moving up in the world. You have people like NIN giving their stuff away for free, places like Russia with no copyright laws, and online digital music stores, the megalithic Record Companies are beginning to go away.

This is one of the battles my band has to work through as well...