Good inexpensive sulfate free dandruff shampoo

  1. Good inexpensive sulfate free dandruff shampoo


    So I have serve dandruff, so much so that I have prescription shampoo and I also use head and shoulders. Well since these both have sulfates, my neck breaks out in acne. Also both these shampoos have sodium hydroxide, which I read is, you guessed it toxic. So does anyone know of a good shampoo that is good for dandruff and doesn't contain anything bad and isn't like $20?


  2. I've always had acne, and I've always been using Head and Shoulders dandruff shampoo since I was a kid (had bad dandruff back then, but never since using the shampoo). I never heard before now that there was a connection between sulfates and acne. If someone answers this, I might try this sulfate-free shampoo as well.
    •   
       


  3. I've actually read of sulphur-based acne treatments and for other skin ailments. I believe it was topical MSM.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    I've actually read of sulphur-based acne treatments and for other skin ailments. I believe it was topical MSM.
    Indeed, topical sulfur works great for many things. It sounds like he may have an idiopathic allergy to it though. I tolerate sulfates well but sulfites can make me breakout in high amounts, so the more reactive/reducing forms of sulfur can be problematic. Selenium (Selsun blue?) is supposed to be a good dandruff treatment, but nothing works as well as Coal Tar (T-gel) in my observations.
  5. BMCLouzee
    BMCLouzee's Avatar

    Well, I used to work at Sally Beauty Supply and two products that were widely popular were Medi Dan (which comes in two formulas {brown bottle}) and Ion Dandruff shampoo. They're reasonably priced and if you have a Beauty Club Card you get a discount (but you have to buy the $5 card). I can't tell you if they're sulfate-free, but we got customers that swear by it. I never heard of sulfates directed to acne. We were trained that sulfates strip out the naturals oils and color in hair. Are you talking about backne? Because I know if you're getting acne by your hair line and your back then it's possible that your hair products are causing it.

    You can also try a cleansing conditioner with tea tree oil. Just mix a really gentle conditioner with a few drops of tea tree oil. Rub it in and rinse with warm water. Of course, it doesn't lather, but it will get your hair clean and the antiseptic properties of tea tree oil will soothe your scalp, possibly eliminating dandruff and acne.
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by BMCLouzee View Post
    Well, I used to work at Sally Beauty Supply and two products that were widely popular were Medi Dan (which comes in two formulas {brown bottle}) and Ion Dandruff shampoo. They're reasonably priced and if you have a Beauty Club Card you get a discount (but you have to buy the $5 card). I can't tell you if they're sulfate-free, but we got customers that swear by it. I never heard of sulfates directed to acne. We were trained that sulfates strip out the naturals oils and color in hair. Are you talking about backne? Because I know if you're getting acne by your hair line and your back then it's possible that your hair products are causing it.

    You can also try a cleansing conditioner with tea tree oil. Just mix a really gentle conditioner with a few drops of tea tree oil. Rub it in and rinse with warm water. Of course, it doesn't lather, but it will get your hair clean and the antiseptic properties of tea tree oil will soothe your scalp, possibly eliminating dandruff and acne.
    Yeah, well I have really sensitive skin and I keep getting acne by my hair line. I read somewhere that sulfates can dry your skin out and in turn cause your skin to produce more oil. I don't know how true that is, you guys would know better than me. However I do strongly believe, that I am getting acne on my neck because of my shampoo. I am prone to acne, but I haven't had a lot of acne lately, except for my neck around my hair line. I'm about to buy a shower filter to filter out chlorine that should help too.
  7. BMCLouzee
    BMCLouzee's Avatar

    I have a shower filter right now and I find that it does leave my hair and scalp cleaner and softer. L'oreal just came out with their sulfate-free line. It's called EverPure. It's available at Wal-mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. for real cheap. Burt's Bees is an awesome brand. Sulfate-free, paraben-free, etc. You might want to check them out, too. So just keep on searching. Don't feel that you're restricted to male-directed products. It's all good. =)

  8. Quote Originally Posted by BMCLouzee View Post
    I have a shower filter right now and I find that it does leave my hair and scalp cleaner and softer. L'oreal just came out with their sulfate-free line. It's called EverPure. It's available at Wal-mart, Walgreens, CVS, etc. for real cheap. Burt's Bees is an awesome brand. Sulfate-free, paraben-free, etc. You might want to check them out, too. So just keep on searching. Don't feel that you're restricted to male-directed products. It's all good. =)
    Thanks for the info

  9. Hey wait a sec Von (or should I say Jesse), you don't even have hair in that picture! (lol)
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Free to a good home
    By freezito in forum LG Sciences
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 12:02 AM
  2. What's a good FREE mmorpg?
    By bigrobbierob in forum General Chat
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 08:56 PM
  3. Dandruff
    By cumkwakka in forum Male Anti-Aging Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2009, 06:07 PM
  4. Vanadyl Sulfate free White Flood?
    By Sonicology in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
  5. I need a good quality inexpensive powerlifting belt?
    By Truck 44 in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Log in
Log in