Lifting When Sick

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
So out of nowhere I got a "cold" yesterday. I woke up fine, went to gym fine killed it for my morning session then by 4pm I felt like a dog. I am one to never go home and sleep during the day as I usually have plenty of energy but I just had to yesterday, I slept from 6-9 got up ate the rest of my days food then went back to sleep and woke up this morning at 8am.

I don't feel perfect right now but I feel good enough to go lift and don't think that it will interfere with today's lifts, I plan to just take it a bit easy and give a little more rest between sets but I don't plan on sand bagging anywhere.

Just checking in to see who all lifts even when sick.

-James

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Dont lift, at least if your starting to get sick dont. (Once I am already sick and its on its way out, I kinda do lol)

Let your body use all its nutrients and resources to take on the cold and get rid of it. If you repeatedly drain your body your giving the sickness more leeway to get worse or stay longer, etc, etc. And it will effect gains from lifting anyways.

When is the last time you took a "recoup" week? You know 5-7 days off to let your body relax, then hit the weights again. When I do that I would add more weight to my sets when I went back. Sometimes your body(no matter how diesel you are) needs a nice rest.

Plus if it is at a gym, your going to spread the bug around. That is selfish in a way, as your going to put others in the same boat.

To each their own, but I myself an suffering from an infection atm. And in turn am not going to workout even though its eating me up not to, because honestly...being sick sucks lol.

Plus if you just take something like 1-2 days off it may push it right through. If you lift sickm, it may take 3-4 or the likes.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
well I made it through my workout today at around 95% intensity of what I usually am pushing. I didn't have to lower any weights I just took 1.5-2 minute long breaks instead of my normal 30-45 second breaks.

Ill probably take a recoup week next week and not touch a single weight, just come in and do 30 minutes of mid intensity cardio later in the evening as I honestly haven't taken any time off since I began this cut and this is week 13...

I am already feeling much better than I did yesterday so I know it is already going out of my system..

-James

BigNutz

BigNutz

Awards
  • Established
Never lift sick. Its hard, I know, as lifting can be addictive. I feel AWFUL if I miss a day at the gym. I was in the hospital a month ago and all I could think about was getting back in the gym, and crying cause I couldnt eat and watching all that hard earned muscle dissapear. Interesting what happened though, about a week after I got out and not having eaten anything in 5 days, I gained all the muscle back and then some! Seemed the fast was actually beneficial.

I think overtraining is very common amongst long term lifters. If I miss a few days due to working or whatever, I always seem to come back stronger and lifting heavier weights then I did before the break.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Never lift sick. Its hard, I know, as lifting can be addictive. I feel AWFUL if I miss a day at the gym. I was in the hospital a month ago and all I could think about was getting back in the gym, and crying cause I couldnt eat and watching all that hard earned muscle dissapear. Interesting what happened though, about a week after I got out and not having eaten anything in 5 days, I gained all the muscle back and then some! Seemed the fast was actually beneficial.

I think overtraining is very common amongst long term lifters. If I miss a few days due to working or whatever, I always seem to come back stronger and lifting heavier weights then I did before the break.
Muscle Memory at its finest i took about 1-2 months off earlier in the year due to injuries and what not and within my first month back i was back to top notch form we as lifters get worried when we see the strength go and muscle disapear but it comes back a lot faster then if we were starting from scratch all over again.

And as far as lifting when your sick its good to take time off it may not feel good persay muscle wise but you'll be fine you dont want to get other people sick as zero said, the best thing to do is rest (but still eat right) and take it easy

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
When you lift you tear your body down and you need to heal. Its hard to repair when your immune system is down. Its hard not to lift though, especialy when your on cycle, a small layoff isn't a bad thing. I had a sore throat last week and came back today beating my last lifts.

TooBroke0029

TooBroke0029

Awards
This guy at my gym always tells me, "it's easy to gain what you had but hard to get what you never had." I had to take two days off because I got sick but after that I couldn take it anymore. I hit my chest and back and was able to put up 130 on dumbbell bench press. I have never done that before goes to show what some rest can do for you.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I used to lift when sick, depends on the sickness, I have lupus so I know the diffrence of being "sick" and a lupus flare up..this past weekend I was sick with a stomach thing, I stayed in bed and everything i did was an effort, so my advice, dont lift....when sick give the body a break...

doingwork30

doingwork30

Awards
When you lift you tear your body down and you need to heal. Its hard to repair when your immune system is down. Its hard not to lift though, especialy when your on cycle, a small layoff isn't a bad thing. I had a sore throat last week and came back today beating my last lifts.
Yeah I lifted with some kinda intense bug and it took like a week for my muscles to stop being sore. I could tell that all my body was fighting off the sickness instead of repairing the muscles. Then I took like a week off and it worked wonders.

BMCLouzee

I'm sickly. When I'm sick I stay at someone else's house, eat their food, and sleep.