Web seems kinda slow? Here's why

pogue

pogue

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dunno if you've noticed, last night and this morning I wasn't able to pull up about half of the web sites I usually visit. You may encounter the same thing.

CNN
Electronic attack slows Internet

Saturday, January 25, 2003 Posted: 7:34 AM EST (1234 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Traffic on the many parts of the Internet slowed dramatically for hours early Saturday, the apparent effects of a fast-spreading, virus-like infection that overwhelmed the world's digital pipelines and interfered with Web browsing and delivery of e-mail.

Sites monitoring the health of the Internet reported significant slowdowns globally. Experts said the electronic attack bore remarkable similarities to the "Code Red" virus during the summer of 2001 which also ground traffic to a halt on much of the Internet.

"It's not debilitating," said Howard Schmidt, President Bush's No. 2 cyber-security adviser. "Everybody seems to be getting it under control." Schmidt said the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center and private experts at the CERT Coordination Center were monitoring the attacks.

The virus-like attack, which began about 12:30 a.m. EST, sought out vulnerable computers on the Internet to infect using a known flaw in popular database software from Microsoft Corp., called "SQL Server 2000." But the attacking software code was scanning for victim computers so randomly and so aggressively -- sending out thousands of probes each second -- that it overwhelmed many Internet data pipelines.

"This is like Code Red all over again," said Marc Maiffret, an executive with eEye Digital Security, whose engineers were among the earliest to study samples of the attack software. "The sheer number of attacks is eating up so much bandwidth that normal operations can't take place."

"The impact of this worm was huge," agreed Ben Koshy of W3 International Media Ltd., which operates thousands of Web sites from its computers in Vancouver. "It's a very significant attack."

Koshy added that, about six hours after the attack, commercial Web sites that had been overwhelmed were starting to come back online as engineers began effectively blocking the malicious data traffic.

"People are recovering from it," Koshy said.

Symantec Corp., an antivirus vendor, estimated that at least 22,000 systems were affected worldwide.

"Traffic itself seems to have leveled off a little bit, so likely only so many systems are exposed out there," said Oliver Friedrichs, senior manager with Symantec Security Response. The attacking software, technically known as a worm, was overwhelming Internet traffic-directing devices known as routers.

"The Internet is still usable, but we're definitely receiving reports from some of our customers who have had it affect their routers specifically," Friedrichs said.

The attack sought to take advantage of a software flaw discovered by researchers in July 2002 that permits hackers to seize control of corporate database servers. Microsoft deemed the problem "critical" and offered a free repairing patch, but it was impossible to know how many computer administrators applied the fix.

"People need to do a better job about fixing vulnerabilities," Schmidt said.

The latest attack was likely to revive debate within the technology industry about the need for an Internet-wide monitoring center, which the Bush administration has proposed. Some Internet industry executives and lawyers said they would raise serious civil liberties concerns if the U.S. government, not an industry consortium, operated such a powerful monitoring center.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/internet/01/25/internet.attack.ap/index.html

Check the traffic yourself @ Internet Pulse Looks like all the big routers are getting hit hard. Ironicly, the Internet Traffic Report is shut down.

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Yea, Just read this at Steriodology, Username posted it, thats some wisked ****.....

W

WYD02

Awards
  • Established
Yep, I noticed the lag ....exactly around the time they were reporting...

Bastards :)

A

Andy2k

Awards
symantec (norton)

W32.SQLExp.Worm is a worm that targets servers running Microsoft SQL. The worm sends 376 bytes to 1434/udp - the SQL Server Resolution Service Port. Beginning at 5:31am GMT, we started to see a significant increase in the unique number of source IPs scanning for 1434/udp. Symantec Security Response highly recommends all MS-SQL server system administrators to audit their machines for known security vulnerabilities immediately.

Symantec Security Response also recommends configuring perimeter devices to block 1434/udp traffic from untrusted hosts.

Symantec Security Response is currently developing a removal tool for W32.SQLExp.Worm. Because the worm is only resident in memory, and is not written to disk, this threat is not detectable using virus definitions. Customers are recommended to follow the measures described above in order to deal with this threat.

The worm has the unintended payload of performing a Denial of Service due to the large number of packets it sends out.

Also Known As: SQL Slammer Worm [ISS], DDOS.SQLP1434.A [Trend], W32/SQLSlammer [McAfee]
Type: Worm
Infection Length: 376 bytes
Systems Affected: Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP
Systems Not Affected: Windows 3.x, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Microsoft IIS, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX, Linux

gives a bit of advice;)

D

DarCSA

Awards
I had a big problem with the internet last night and couldn't get to half of the sites I usually visit even this one for a while. Guess that helps explain why.

J

Jess

Awards
Wow, I was pissed at the cable company.....lol I thought they were messing up service.:(

J

Jess

Awards
It wouldn't let me register as Strongchick, It said there was already a member by that name. I go By Jess on IronBodyBuilding where I am a mod anyhow.....:)

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
It wouldn't let me register as Strongchick, It said there was already a member by that name. I go By Jess on IronBodyBuilding where I am a mod anyhow.....:)
Yes, Ive seen you around....you're a mod at like what...4 boards? ;)

J

Jess

Awards
I am all over the net, lol...I have seen you too, I just don't remmeber where...

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I am all over the net, lol...I have seen you too, I just don't remmeber where...
Im at massmonsterz a lot , FitnessGeared, Steriodology, and about 20 other places at least

J

Jess

Awards
:rolleyes: Thread hijackers, huh?
Read it again, and see who took the thread off-topic...

Men:rolleyes:

J

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Jess, impressive avatar. I've seen your StrongChick handle before, probably at Anabolex or Fitness Geared.

C

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Inzah Dude

You got anymore pics Jess?
Even if it was joking . Harasment of ANY kind of the women on this board will not be tolerated. This is a warning.. Talk to ya

C

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by pogue
Women are thread hijackers! Burn her at the stake!
I do hope you are kidding.... If not don't let it happen again.. Talk to ya.

J

Jess

Awards
No offense taken. :) When I take some new pictures I will post them up here, I need to get some recent ones. It's always nice to have your pic's critiqued by others who have a fitness knowledge.

Thanks Curt ;)

C

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Just make sure it not frontal. We don't alow nudity in here... hehehehe. :p Talk to ya...

I

Inzah Dude

Awards

Even if it was joking . Harasment of ANY kind of the women on this board will not be tolerated. This is a warning.. Talk to ya
What the ****. How is that harrassment? I asked her if she had anymore pics. How do you know if I was harrassing her, being perverted, or what. How do you know I wasn't just impressed with her physique (from a bodybuilding point of view, not in the perverted way).

J

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Inzah Dude, I can't speak for Curt, but as far as I am concerned, all women here are to be treated with respect. I don't think Curt was trying to single you out, just set the tone. It's nice having a few girls like Jess and Hollywood over here. Their feminine perspective is kinda nice. Let's not spoil it with rude behavior.

Y

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

What the ****. How is that harrassment? I asked her if she had anymore pics. How do you know if I was harrassing her, being perverted, or what. How do you know I wasn't just impressed with her physique (from a bodybuilding point of view, not in the perverted way).
Because you're a teenager. :D

Just messin' with you man, I aint mad at 'cha......No one's singling you out.... respect is respect man or woman.... you know that, so I wont preach to you brother....

I

Inzah Dude

Awards
Inzah Dude, I can't speak for Curt, but as far as I am concerned, all women here are to be treated with respect. I don't think Curt was trying to single you out, just set the tone. It's nice having a few girls like Jess and Hollywood over here. Their feminine perspective is kinda nice. Let's not spoil it with rude behavior.
Never meant anything rude by it.

J

John Benz

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I never really thought you did. You seem like a genuinely nice guy, and I'm sorry if my post offended you.

C

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Inzah Dude

What the ****. How is that harrassment? I asked her if she had anymore pics. Howdo you know if I was harrassing her, being perverted, or what. How do you know I wasn't just impressed with her physique (from a bodybuilding point of view, not in the perverted way).
Just don't do it again. I'm setting tone here . I find it cool that we have women here in the first place so we need not scare them away. Don't get all blow out of proportion about it.. Lets just be civil about our female guests thats all. Talk to ya...

PS If you want to talk to me like that next time take it to PM's............

I

Inzah Dude

Awards

Just don't do it again. I'm setting tone here . I find it cool that we have women here in the first place so we need not scare them away. Don't get all blow out of proportion about it.. Lets just be civil about our female guests thats all. Talk to ya...

PS If you want to talk to me like that next time take it to PM's............
Sorry about that. I just thought everyone was makin it look like I was harrassing her and just wanted to see her pics so I could jack off to them or something. I understand now.

I

Inzah Dude

Awards

Because you're a teenager. :D

Just messin' with you man, I aint mad at 'cha......No one's singling you out.... respect is respect man or woman.... you know that, so I wont preach to you brother....
Hahaha alright. I understand it all now.