Are you obese too?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Are you obese too?

I was minding my own business getting a physical yesterday and my doctor brought it to my attention that I am apparently obese and he needed me to talk to a nurse about effective weight loss strategies. I mentioned that I'm huge on purpose and work very hard on maintaining it. He said it was irrelevant and that my BMI of 31 was very unhealthy (6'5 265). After a lecture about obesity from this earnest young woman we went over to the sports medicine building where I had to both jump in a tank of water and get calipered to death to find my BF percent. Averaged out they came up with 10.2 percent. She suggested I try to halve that and recommended I follow a 1200 calorie diet until I get my weight down to 220 and can be reassessed. This afternoon I'll be looking for a new doctor. Anyone else out there running around with 10 percent body fat that is obese?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34.21%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dave12 View Post
    I was minding my own business getting a physical yesterday and my doctor brought it to my attention that I am apparently obese and he needed me to talk to a nurse about effective weight loss strategies. I mentioned that I'm huge on purpose and work very hard on maintaining it. He said it was irrelevant and that my BMI of 31 was very unhealthy (6'5 265). After a lecture about obesity from this earnest young woman we went over to the sports medicine building where I had to both jump in a tank of water and get calipered to death to find my BF percent. Averaged out they came up with 10.2 percent. She suggested I try to halve that and recommended I follow a 1200 calorie diet until I get my weight down to 220 and can be reassessed. This afternoon I'll be looking for a new doctor. Anyone else out there running around with 10 percent body fat that is obese?
    no. and that doesn't make sense either. 10-12% is not obese. weight probably is, but where do they get that number? some silly a$$ chart based on your height, weight and age? if you go by that, i'm over-weight
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    no. and that doesn't make sense either. 10-12% is not obese. weight probably is, but where do they get that number? some silly a$$ chart based on your height, weight and age? if you go by that, i'm over-weight
    According to the chart 25.1-30 is overweight and 30.1+ is obese. Yes it is some manner of height weight chart.
    •   

4. purelife1

dud dont feel bad.. 95% of people who lift weights will be obese on the bmi scale..im 31-32 as well..10% bf is awsome..find a new doc bro
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    55.21%

dude, according to that scale Im obese as well...Im 6'4 205 w at most 8% BF...Such a bunch of crap...dont even sweat that crappy chart, besides 70%-80% of the freaking world is made up of fat ****s and that chart was made for them and not for people that dedicate themselves to being healthy
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  293 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    100%

I think you doc was wrong in using the work Obese. Once I drop all the weight I want to I will be way over the chart too for my height. My est. lean mass is around 220 and I think the chart for me is 178 or something like that. I dont think that is that bad at all for being 6'5". I would be interested to see what a pro bodybuilder that tall would weigh. That chart that they made years ago is based on the idea that carrying extra weight (weather it is fat or muscle) is taxing on the body.
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

I just thought it was funny, chart not withstanding, that: 1. a doctor would tell a 6'5 guy with a 34 waist he's obese with a straight face and 2. that a 5'5 165 lb woman would suggest a starvation diet to rectify said obesity. (My doc is on extended leave of absence because his wife has brain cancer so the Clinic threw me into the physician pool for stuff like this until he returns.)
  8. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.86%

that is a funny story. i love the 1200 cal diet....as a 265 lean as hell dude you'd wither like a dead flower. i also like her "suggestion" to get to 5%....does she have any idea how ****ing hard that is lol
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.76%

Im 6'3" 255lb and im supposed to be 190lb to be a "Average" Healthy person....... Cracks me up. I cant even imagine being 220lb i would be a stick.

On a side note i was playing Wii fit with my daughter yesterday and did the Fitness test. The wii evaluated me stnding on a piece of plastic to be 33% BF...... A piece of plastic is telling people they are obese... Go Figure
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by bigdognhb View Post
    I think you doc was wrong in using the work Obese. Once I drop all the weight I want to I will be way over the chart too for my height. My est. lean mass is around 220 and I think the chart for me is 178 or something like that. I dont think that is that bad at all for being 6'5". I would be interested to see what a pro bodybuilder that tall would weigh. That chart that they made years ago is based on the idea that carrying extra weight (weather it is fat or muscle) is taxing on the body.
    I think Bob Sapp would fit the bill for 6'5 pro bb (he's 6'5 350-385). Not sure if bb is the right term for him but the template is certainly acceptable for comparision.
  11. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.87%

Obviously it is a $$$ for the doctor. 10% is not a obese.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by TipTopShape View Post
    Obviously it is a $$$ for the doctor. 10% is not a obese.
    There's no money in it for the doctor other than whatever his cut of the 4-5 grand the yearly physical cost me was. It's ineffective bureaucracy. Some dope in the fatso (bariatric) dept. probably made some policy that said that fukin BMI chart was to be used to classify risk overruling the individual physicians judgment. Either way, are you a fellow obesity sufferer? If so, you have sympathy.
  13. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.21%

This is pure ignorance. But I dont solely blame the doctor, the chart/guide is put out by the medical community at large, and with apathy and lack of common sense, they use their chart and follow their guidelines and perform the tests and follow the practices of the said office/practice. So if the weight says your fat, then your fat, even though you have 10% bf. The military and the police used to be like this too, in boot camps, basic, academy training, and performance reviews/evaluations. This has/was changed some time ago, Ive been told.

Another scary thing to me, other than the lack of common sense, is that the insurance companies go by the same guidelines and use the same ignorance when implementing things, so you, me and half the guys who post here are part of the 1 billion+++ obese Americans and the epidemic you keep hearing about on the news.
    PHF Anabolic Trinity Epistane, Trenavar, and Mentabolan - Available Now!!
    Celtic Labs-Trestobol, HaloMass, Celitren, Ostabal and more Available Now!!
    PHF Rep/Celtic labs

14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'4"  155 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.61%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Haha damn I must be obese then too lol.
    Right now I'm sitting at 160lbs at 5'4 and I'd say my BF% isn't over 12%
  15. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'5"  100 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.21%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

i'm on the opposite end, or was...a few years ago i went to the dr's before i started working out wearing timberlands and a big hoodie (always wear clothes alittle baggy) weight was 165lbs, which doesn't sound like much but i'm 5'5 and i was chubby, so i started working out and a year later i went to the dr's again, really concentrating on losing fat/weight and eating more healthy..went in the summer, wearing sneakers, mesh shorts, and a t-shirt, weight was 135lbs, the dr asked me if i was having random sex and i told him no not really just with my g/f at the time..i told him that i had been doing a lot of cardio and eating right...he proceeded to ignore that and sent me for STD tests haha...needless to say i atleast found out that i'm clean
  16. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by Young Gotti View Post
    i'm on the opposite end, or was...a few years ago i went to the dr's before i started working out wearing timberlands and a big hoodie (always wear clothes alittle baggy) weight was 165lbs, which doesn't sound like much but i'm 5'5 and i was chubby, so i started working out and a year later i went to the dr's again, really concentrating on losing fat/weight and eating more healthy..went in the summer, wearing sneakers, mesh shorts, and a t-shirt, weight was 135lbs, the dr asked me if i was having random sex and i told him no not really just with my g/f at the time..i told him that i had been doing a lot of cardio and eating right...he proceeded to ignore that and sent me for STD tests haha...needless to say i atleast found out that i'm clean
    Sir, You are two pounds away from being overweight. Be vigilant.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by wrasslin116 View Post
    Haha damn I must be obese then too lol.
    Right now I'm sitting at 160lbs at 5'4 and I'd say my BF% isn't over 12%
    I checked the chart. You are merely overweight. I suggest you start upping your squats so you can join me as an obesity suffer.
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    73.97%

The chart is mostly for people that dont lift and just go about their life. I'm obease on that chart as well 5'9 235 pounds but then again my bf is not around 10% haha.
    Applied Nutriceuticals Representative
    www.appliednutriceuticals.com

FACEBOOK FAN PAGE:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Applie...ls/64122223218
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.93%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

I'm morbidly obese by those standards LOL. The BMI is just something out of the stone age which life insurance companies also like to abuse. It definitely discriminates people with above average muscle mass. They need to focus on blood work more than anything when assessing health.
  20. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.75%

luckily, my doctor is a fairly young guy and he knows my complete history. there once was a nurse who was not familiar with me, and she was like ur obese u need to lose weight. i jsut laughed and said talk to the doctor. shes like u need to lose weight ur ideal bodywieght for ur height for the average american male is 165lbs. i laughed and said, i havent been 165 lbs since i was a freshman in high school, and im not the average american male. i want to be this big. check my bf%. some doctors r just more understanding and know your lifestyle better.
  21. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.75%

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsaRoid? View Post
    The chart is mostly for people that dont lift and just go about their life. I'm obease on that chart as well 5'9 235 pounds but then again my bf is not around 10% haha.
    exactly.
  22. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%

omfg....

there are some seriously fukt up doctors in this world. That's one of them.

the doctor i currently have is very knowledgeable but she acts like she's my mom and this gets very annoying. She doesn't condone creatine consumption because she wants me to focus on "just being healthy" as oppose to getting buffed up.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Bigpapa, Iron Warrior, Whatsaroid? welcome to the obesity club.
  24. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.75%

Bigpapa, Iron Warrior, Whatsaroid? welcome to the obesity club.
    thanx dude...feels great lol
  25. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.08%

Wouldnt it be great to have pro body builders be part time Doctors. They would understand pretty much everything a weight lifter/aas user endures...
  26. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.46%

i got denied individual insurance because i was overweight/obese. im about 10%bf
  27. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by nosnmiveins View Post
    i got denied individual insurance because i was overweight/obese. im about 10%bf
    Don't get insurance it's a scam. Get catastrophic coverage if it's legal in your state and pay your own bills. I don't pay much for coverage, but it doesn't cover much aside from cancer, heart attack, or getting my arms ripped off. I think I'm on the hook for everything up to 10,000 a year then coverage kicks in. (And welcome to the obesity club.)
  28. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'9"  260 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.87%

I'm obese, but my waiste is small.
  29. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.13%

When that dumb woman suggested that diet to you, you should have told her to suck your ****. BTW I wouldn't go back to that doctor
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    50.93%

Quote Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
    When that dumb woman suggested that diet to you, you should have told her to suck your ****. BTW I wouldn't go back to that doctor
    I'm sorry to inform you sir, but I have consulted the chart and you are not obese and cannot join us in the obesity epidemic until you hit 209. Have faith, you are only a two month bulk away from join me and my obese brothers in our hugeness.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Weight Loss Tips - Must for Every Obese
    By hknittle in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
  2. Morbidly Obese: please help
    By cabrar in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM
  3. Obese trying to slim up - need advice
    By UnslimPickens in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM
  4. Should we be shaming obese children more?
    By CNizz in forum General Chat
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 02:55 PM
  5. Pencil necks: 56% of the NFL is obese
    By doggzj in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 12:40 AM