tax tips

purelife1

anyone know any good tax tips etc while filing..such as certain deductions that will cause red flags and certain amounts etc..ive got to make some miracles happen this year so any help would be good

MHA

Awards
  • Established
I don't know of any but my boss told me that last year he whent to H&R and had a lady that held him out big time! That she was like "so you gave such and such amount to such and such organization" and boss is like "no"! And she was like"you didn't" hinting that he didn't have to prove such amounts and he ended up doing it. Hope fully he give me her name so I can do the same :)

Ps he said he got a hell of a tax return. Sorry that my story didn't help any :)

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
if you do go to H&R make sure you buy the audit insurance, this way they back you in case of an audit. especially if they are fudging numbers for you, it could turn very ugly if you ever got audited.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
if you do go to H&R make sure you buy the audit insurance, this way they back you in case of an audit. especially if they are fudging numbers for you, it could turn very ugly if you ever got audited.
"Audit insurance" LOL So, a person has to pay them extra for them to back their own work?

"This is America, Jack!"

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
"Audit insurance" LOL So, a person has to pay them extra for them to back their own work?

"This is America, Jack!"
well no, they are only a 3rd party who is filling out your tax return. they basically guide you through the same form you can fill out yourself. so what they do is charge you $XXX for each page. she goes, "ok now charitable contributions..you wanna do this page and get some more money? ok now lets just say you lost the receipts and you gave $2000." as a result you get a bigger tax return, they get more $$$ from you. so then everything is cool unless you are one of the 1% or so that IRS audits every year. Then they will ask you to provide receipts for those contributions and if there is no receipt then congrats you are gonna get hit with penalties and all sorts of $hit. if you cheat it really hard then you can get jail time. their retarded audit insurance in this case will provide a lawyer to make sure you dont get completely raped

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
well no, they are only a 3rd party who is filling out your tax return. they basically guide you through the same form you can fill out yourself. so what they do is charge you $XXX for each page. she goes, "ok now charitable contributions..you wanna do this page and get some more money? ok now lets just say you lost the receipts and you gave $2000." as a result you get a bigger tax return, they get more $$$ from you. so then everything is cool unless you are one of the 1% or so that IRS audits every year. Then they will ask you to provide receipts for those contributions and if there is no receipt then congrats you are gonna get hit with penalties and all sorts of $hit. if you cheat it really hard then you can get jail time. their retarded audit insurance in this case will provide a lawyer to make sure you dont get completely raped
That makes sense. So, do they basically read the Instructions to you with a little paraphrasing so that the less adept people can understand better? I know tax preparation isn't easy when you start involving business and investment income. But, for the average family with a couple W-2's, I don't see what is so hard about it.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
That makes sense. So, do they basically read the Instructions to you with a little paraphrasing so that the less adept people can understand better? I know tax preparation isn't easy when you start involving business and investment income. But, for the average family with a couple W-2's, I don't see what is so hard about it.
LOL they already read the instructions once, so now they can go line by line and ask you.."ok so box #2 on the W2? 15000 ok next box.."

you know that you dont even need any accounting/tax experience or education to work there?? there are stories all the time about people being greeted by a 70 y/old lady that figured out how to use this computer thingy