Topamax for migains

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
anybody know about how long the withdraw from this is? my gf is 5 ft, 90 pounds and just got off of it and is having bad withdraw symptoms and wondering how long this will go on for...i know for everybody its different, but just the average, or from what you or your spouse have experienced

bluehealer

bluehealer

Awards
  • Established
Half-Life & Average Time to Clear Out of Your System: Topamax's half-life is 21 hours, it's out of your system in four to five days.

How to Stop Taking Topamax: Your doctor should be recommending that you reduce your dosage by 25-50mg every four to five days, based on the 21 hour half-life, if not more slowly than that. If you're taking another anticonvulsants and you're at 400mg a day, Ortho-McNeil states you can reduce the dosage by 100mg a day every week. For more information, please see the page on how to safely stop taking these crazy meds.

Like any anticonvulsant, if you've been taking Topamax (topiramate) for more than a couple months and you're up to or above 200mg a day you just can't stop Topamax cold turkey if you're not at the therapeutic dosage for another anticonvulsant that you know works for you, otherwise you risk partial-complex, absence seizures or even tonic-clonic grand mals, despite your never having had a seizure disorder before! The risk is worse if you're taking a lithium variant, and/or any antidepressant, especially Wellbutrin (bupropion). Anyone with a history of a seizure disorder who needs to stop taking an anticonvulsant cold turkey needs to be discussing that with two neurologists and not getting your information from some stupid web site. Get off your computer and start making appointments!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
my gf is only taking 25mg a day 3 times a day. the doc winged her off of it and she is completely off of it as of last Saturday and on Sunday she was extremely dizzy all day long. Monday and Tuesday she has been fine. so you think she will have no with drawl symptoms in about a week or so?

r1balla isGay

Awards
ya theres 20 grams of creatine in it and sone vitamin f

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
She should be fine in a week or so. I stopped taking Paxil cold turkey once and went to the ER several days later convinced that the electrical zapping sensations I was feeling were my brain shutting on/off. However, it was part of the withdrawal, which sucked major balls.

Always taper off is my motto.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ya she has been tapering off, but now she is off of it completely. she lost 12 pounds off this crap and just now is slowly getting back to normal. now she even wants to work out which is a first! hey, one more chance to see my girl in booty shorts eh? hahaha

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
ya she has been tapering off, but now she is off of it completely. she lost 12 pounds off this crap and just now is slowly getting back to normal. now she even wants to work out which is a first! hey, one more chance to see my girl in booty shorts eh? hahaha
I had a girlfriend once who lost weight on Topamax. It was prescribed alongside her Celexa because Celexa was making her gain weight.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nutrition / Health 3