Do smartphone apps drain batteries?

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At the end of March, the wife and I are up for new phones. We plan to upgrade to smartphones on Verizon. She'll be going from an Env3 to a HTC Eris, and I'll go from my Dare to the Moto Droid.

Right now, I really appreciate the 3-4 or even 5 days I get out of one battery charge on my Dare. I use it frequently for just about everything - phone, text, camera, video, web. When I upgrade and start going nuts with apps, do they drain the battery faster? What I mean is for those of you with blackberries, iphones, or whatever, did you get better battery life before you started using apps than after? If so, how much do the average app or app set drain it?

Reason I ask is odd. The Droid has google navigation, and I plan to use it on a few bike trips (motorcycle) this summer and beyond. Obviously, there's not many options to charge it mid-day unless I ask some restaurant worker to borrow an outlet in the kitchen at lunch. If the apps drain battery life drastically, I may want to install a cigarette lighter/power port on my bike to charge it along the way. I just don't want to end up 13 hours out and lost with no phone on the ride back home. :trout:

Thoughts?

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
At the end of March, the wife and I are up for new phones. We plan to upgrade to smartphones on Verizon. She'll be going from an Env3 to a HTC Eris, and I'll go from my Dare to the Moto Droid.

Right now, I really appreciate the 3-4 or even 5 days I get out of one battery charge on my Dare. I use it frequently for just about everything - phone, text, camera, video, web. When I upgrade and start going nuts with apps, do they drain the battery faster? What I mean is for those of you with blackberries, iphones, or whatever, did you get better battery life before you started using apps than after? If so, how much do the average app or app set drain it?

Reason I ask is odd. The Droid has google navigation, and I plan to use it on a few bike trips (motorcycle) this summer and beyond. Obviously, there's not many options to charge it mid-day unless I ask some restaurant worker to borrow an outlet in the kitchen at lunch. If the apps drain battery life drastically, I may want to install a cigarette lighter/power port on my bike to charge it along the way. I just don't want to end up 13 hours out and lost with no phone on the ride back home. :trout:

Thoughts?

Yes they do drain batteries, GPS is a little faster as well.

TomTom has a bike version of their GPS that holds a good charge, plus the GPS on any phone is TERRIBLE. God help you if you enter a city with some streets close together. A blind midget can show you the way better than a phone GPS.

T-AD

T-AD

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for that info. Much appreciated. I did check out the Droid in the store for a few minutes, particularly their navigation app. It's GPS run and the screen resolution was really beyond what I've seen from any other phone. Seeing the streets isn't too much of a concern, as I'll most likely have that phone in my pocket and not in full view while riding. (Will have my Dare mounted to the bars for music or video, though! :D ) Plus, if I get a little lost, it doesn't matter. That's the fun part of riding!

I looked into the TomTom for the bike, but for $400+ for the set-up, for as much as I'd really use it, it's not feasible.

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
They do drain batteries, usually programs are running regardless of your command.

You can download an app that shuts off the programs that you want.

I am not sure if there is a crack for Droid yet, but if there is, you can go further and turn off other applications that are default.

Able825

Awards
i get 1.5-2 days per charge on my moto droid. i use it maybe 1hr/day though.
just make sure you download an application killer which will close appications automatically when you aren't using them. that will help save your battery.
the google gps nav is really good imo.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
the GPS on any phone is TERRIBLE. God help you if you enter a city with some streets close together. A blind midget can show you the way better than a phone GPS.
Thats not true. T-mobile android phone has great GPS based on Google maps. And it's free.

Liftergym33

Liftergym33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have the Moto droid.. I love it, any smart phone while using apps will drain the battery..with the droid, it really isnt that bad....

purelife1

i use a samsung instinct it sucks my battery big time but im on internet and gps everyday