Looking to change chat services...LIVE VIDEO CHAT?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
Currently we use a text based java chat system. How do you bros feel about a live video chat service?

Chemo

z0rr0

Awards
I think this issue was sort of brought up on a tv show over the last week. I don't remember what it was but they where discussing video phones. A good point that was made is that one of the conveniences of using a phone without video is that it allows some sort of privacy. It doesn't matter what you're wearing or how your hair looks. I think the same thing applies here. I think it'd be a great idea if it where an optional video conference application, where if you feel like people being able to see you, you let them, and if you don't, you don't have to.

So, to sum it up a bit, as long as there is an option to turn your video off to protect privacy when one wants it and still allow the users without a webcam/video camera (like me) to participate, I'm all for it.

smike319

Awards
I think this issue was sort of brought up on a tv show over the last week. I don't remember what it was but they where discussing video phones. A good point that was made is that one of the conveniences of using a phone without video is that it allows some sort of privacy. It doesn't matter what you're wearing or how your hair looks. I think the same thing applies here. I think it'd be a great idea if it where an optional video conference application, where if you feel like people being able to see you, you let them, and if you don't, you don't have to.

So, to sum it up a bit, as long as there is an option to turn your video off to protect privacy when one wants it and still allow the users without a webcam/video camera (like me) to participate, I'm all for it.
What's the problem z0rr0, you don't want everyone to know you chat in your birthday suit?
Come to think of it, it's probably for the best. J/K

Ya I think it sounds interesting, but don't you have to be running the same video software as the people you are talking to? If that's the case, this could be difficult to orchastrate(sp)?.

z0rr0

Awards
What's the problem z0rr0, you don't want everyone to know you chat in your birthday suit?
Naw man. I think my last post made it kind of obvious. It's not that I don't mind it...I just think the other guys wouldn't like it :).

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
The video chat is something that will take more thought and feedback...nobody wants to talk about gear and other topics while on cam. However, we are exploring different options for voice enabled chat. This will be in addition to the normal text mode that you bros are used to.

Currently, I have 4 or 5 people helping me test the voice chat service...if anyone is interested in helping the beta testing just let me know.

Chemo

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I'm down for the voice/video chat....I think its a good idea. Although I don't have any kind of camera. I got a mic though....

wojo

wojo

Awards
  • Established
well if u all hot brunettes(women of course) i wouldnt mind but ..i dont care as long as were still able to chat..should be real interesting at 2am on a sat night when everyone is getting from drinking..michelob ultra of course..lol

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
How does that affect those like me who don't have a camara and what other equipment would we need ?

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
UPDATE

We will most likely go forward with some flavor of voice chat. In order to use this new service a member will need at least a mic and speakers...headsets are preferred. Of course, a sound card to plug them into ;)

We have several applications under review. For everyone keeping up on this topic be sure to get your headsets!

Chemo

db682

Awards
  • Established
Cool, I already got mine. It helps remind me of how lucky I am not to have to work at McD'd drive thru.

db

labrad

Awards
  • Established
Well, I can't access chat at the moment so anything would be better.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
We got a chance to try it out and I can say that its a sweet little addition to the board. Chemo is still trying to work out some issues with it, but all in all, the features, etc. are very cool. The voice comes in crystal clear just like if you were on the telephone. Not too shabby if you ask me...

db682

Awards
  • Established
Yeah its cool. It may take some time to get used to but it definitly works.

db

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
As was mentioned, there are several bugs we need to work out but all-in-all is a very good service! So far here are the advantanges of the new chat service:

1) Voice enabled chat (one-to-many)
- One person at a time can speak to the entire room
- Very good reception...even for dial-up users.

2) Voice enabled private conversation
- One-on-one voice conversation

3) Peer-to-peer file transfer (max 30 Mb)

4) Regular text based chat for those without mics / speakers

5) 100 concurrent users

Now, we will have to pay for the server software which will cost about $500. I believe that it will be worth the price for the extra services especially after I integrate with the board...wait until you see what I have planned for the deployment! ;)

For those that want to test the new software go to http://anabolicminds.com/glassroom/ and log in with a guest account. It will let you get a feel for the layout and operation...but be warned it is still buggy so don't put too much into the actual use. Also, there is a limit of 3 people in the chat room (it's a demo version) so if you get an error message about the room reaching maximum then try back later.

Chemo