News Story

tattoopierced1

I actually know this guy, he works out at the gym I used to go to and is crazy built for a man of his age (or any age at that). Was kinda in shock when I read about this in the local paper.

UPDATE: Resident who fought off intruder recalls 'scariest' moment of life Evansville Courier & Press

Ron Wall has heard plenty of stories about people who were hurt or killed after being tied up.

So when an armed intruder broke into his Vanderburgh County residence Tuesday night and demanded his wife bind his hands, Wall was sure of one thing.

“I wasn’t going to let that happen,” he said Wednesday. “I really thought me and my wife might die if I didn’t do something.”

So do something, Wall did.

When the intruder glanced away for just a moment and lowered his gun, the 64-year-old Wall jumped off the floor, began scuffling with the man and ultimately wrestled the gun away.

The intruder, identified by investigators as 24-year-old Samson Blythe, ran off but was located a couple hours later and arrested. He and Wall’s ex-son-in-law, 42-year-old Anthony Pflug, have both been charged in connection with the home invasion, an apparent robbery attempt, authorities said.

It started about 6 p.m. when Wall noticed Pflug outside his home at 1612 Fleener Road.

Pflug “never comes out” and wasn’t expected, but Wall invited him in after he told him he needed to talk about his son, who is Wall’s grandson.

Wall and his wife had been talking with Pflug about 10 minutes when another man — later identified by authorities as Blythe — burst in. He displayed an apparent handgun and wore a Halloween devil’s mask over his face.

“I looked at him and said ‘what the heck is going on?’ Wall recalled Wednesday. “I thought it was a joke at first. I soon found out it wasn’t a joke.”

The intruder demanded that all three people — Wall, his wife and Pflug — get on the floor. He then said he was there to collect $25,000 someone else owed him, a demand Wall still doesn’t understand.

Moments later, the man produced a roll of Duct tape and demanded that Wall’s wife bind his hands together.

That’s when Wall — a retiree who still works out and has competed in bodybuilding events — decided to act. He said he knocked the intruder to the floor and wrestled with him, pulling off the mask and ripping the gun away. It fired a couple times during the scuffle, at which point Wall realized it was a BB gun.

His wife called 911 and later came back in the room and hit the intruder with Tupperware pans.

“When I jumped up, I figured I’d probably get shot,” Wall said. “I was hoping I wouldn’t, but I thought I might. Thank the good Lord, we’re both safe. I’m sore but that will heal. It’s the scariest thing I’ve been through in my life.”

Deputies with the Vanderburgh County Sheriff’s Office located Blythe about two hours later near Bradley Drive and Darmstadt Road.

Pflug remained on scene as deputies arrived. Before long, officials began to become suspicious about whether Pflug might have been involved.

He was taken from the house in for questioning and later booked into jail on charges of armed robbery, criminal confinement, burglary and battery. Blythe is facing the same charges.

Wall said he can’t understand the reasoning behind the incident.

“This is my ex-son-in-law,” he said. “I’ve never done anything harmful to him. I know he’s in financial straits ... but I’m baffled by it.”

Both Blythe and Pflug remained in the Vanderburgh County Jail Wednesday afternoon with bonds set at $40,000 and $50,000 respectively.