AM Geek Squad - AnabolicMinds.com

AM Geek Squad

1. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

AM Geek Squad

Help me out.

My Cox Internet Service is as follows:

The Preferred Bundle

"PowerBoost temporarily increases your download speeds for the first 18 - 22 Mb of a file when extra bandwidth is available and is a registered trademark of Comcast Corporation, used with permission. The maximum download speeds of Preferred are up to13 Mbps with PowerBoost and 10 Mbps without PowerBoost"

We are looking at a laptop. It is Wireless-B+G+N.

When choosing my wireless router I am looking to get one that meets thee minimum requirements of my IP speed without exceeding it, as i have no need to spend the money as it is for family use.

I am looking at N and or N+ routers with a ethernet port as my desktop is not wireless. Do I even need to go as high as N or will G suffice?

School me on my minimum router needs considering my IP service maximum speed.

Thanks!

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.

Honestly, you'll be fine with a G router. Obviously, the speed of the router will have no effect on the speed of your internet connection. G routers max out at 54 Mbps, but typically run at about 22 Mbps which is obviously more than enough for your connection speed. The main benefit you may get from an N router is increased signal distance (~2x that of G).
  3. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops89 View Post
    Honestly, you'll be fine with a G router. Obviously, the speed of the router will have no effect on the speed of your internet connection. G routers max out at 54 Mbps, but typically run at about 22 Mbps which is obviously more than enough for your connection speed. The main benefit you may get from an N router is increased signal distance (~2x that of G).
    Yeah, agreed. I have an Wireles-N router for the longer distance effect, and I'm pleased with it.

You should be fine with Wireless-G based on your internet speed/set-up, Brian.

Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    Legendary

•   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

to add to the above. The biggest 'other than speed' difference between g, n, and the newer n + routers is that they also have better penetration qualities as well. if you want to be able to get wifi from your single router all throughout your two story 3000 square foot concrete or brick wall house you would want an n+router.

I only say that cause your an admin here, so you have to be a baller!

but if you have say an apt, or a condo, or a house that is around 2500 square ft. one or two stories, standard WOOD (thats key) walls. if you could put a g router in a central location, you could easily have great wifi everywhere.

The denser the walls, the further it has to go the better quality router you have to get.

Now there are things that make wifi go further in speific areas, imagine a repeater(that repeats the signal) or a bouncer (same diff) or a certain electronic device that uses the wires in your house to spread the signal. but after trying almost all of them, they suck.

my advice, and this is just me, and know that I hate walmart. Go to walmart to buy your router, buy the cheapest g-rated router there is($15-25), and hook it up. they all have super easy installation and free tech support if you get hung up. test it, to see if you have decent wifi where you want it.

If you dont return it, saying it doesn't do what it said it could do, and you want your money back.... Best part about walmart, they always give returns!

then you know whether or not you really need an n or n+ router.... with no financial risk.

hope this wasn't to long, and that it helped.

and never buy the powerboost! it is not worth the extra money... it has to be a cable provider approved site, and there has to be cable bandwith available, and you are not promised even if you meet both requirements to get even a mb more per second than normal.

get the cheapest package you can thats highspeed 5-7mbps. unless you download ten movies at a time, you wont notice a single difference...
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

I would say get the essential bundle. and upgrade the cable choices if that was one of the reasons you wanted the other one. I honestly believe that powerboost is never effective.
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.

Powerboost blows monkey balls...
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

I agree with what most of the guys have said, there is no reason to go higher than a G unless you are covering a lot of area, or are transferring a lot of data between your own networked computers. With that being said if you look around on some e-tailors you can find N routers really cheap and they are super easy to set up so what ever you do don't pay somewhere to do the networking for you. Finally make sure you test your connection speed with a site like speakeasy.net so that if your not getting your guaranteed speeds you can call up comcast and make a ruckus...
  8. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Thanks for the knowledge guys. Exactly what I needed to know.

Single story, wood frame, <2500sqft.
  9. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge guys. Exactly what I needed to know.

Single story, wood frame, <2500sqft.
    If you can get a Wireless-N cheap then go for it (just because of the better range and penetration effect), but otherwise Wireless-G should definitely be fine here, Brian.

Legendary

10. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

My plan was the N - 'cause I'm all about better range and pentration
  11. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    My plan was the N - 'cause I'm all about better range and pentration
    Lol - After I wrote that I saw how I had set myself up, but said f*ck it, haha. Nice pick up.

Legendary

12. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  235 lbs.

I wondered when someone was going to make a penetration joke.
  13. I am faster than 80% of all snakes
    Stats
    6'1"  221 lbs.

You're a geek therefore you need more power.
    For answers to board issues, read the Suggestion and News forum at the bottom of the main page.
  14. Board Sponsor

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

DAMMIT... how did I miss an opportunity for this:

The Historic PES Legend
  15. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    You're a geek therefore you need more power.
    Sit on it Potsy!

16. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'11"  220 lbs.

Legendary

17. jim623

Quote Originally Posted by Trauma1 View Post
    If you can get a Wireless-N cheap then go for it (just because of the better range and penetration effect), but otherwise Wireless-G should definitely be fine here, Brian.
    If you can find the "G", then penetration isn't that important!

Similar Forum Threads

1. Geek Squad Busted For Shower Video !
    By anabolicrhino in forum News and Articles
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 09:50 AM
  2. who is your allstar squad?
    By judge-mental in forum Sports Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:14 PM
  3. Being the big geek I am..
    By bigpetefox in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12