Best Comedian Ever!?

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I would have to say Chris Rock is my number one. Along with Dave Chapelle and Katt Williams. I am a young'n though so I am not too familiar with some of the earlier comics.

DEBATE!:cheers:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
George Carlin - before he got all 'ranty.' His rants were funny, but they got tired real fast.

Richard Pryor's another great. Mudbone from Tubalo Mississippi, which was just south of Onebalo.

Steve Martin - Amazing

Rock, Chapelle and Williams are all funny too, just wanna add more names to the hat.

redline2101

Awards
I love Doug Bensons comedy, a lot of people don't but imo hes one of the best.

Delta Force

Delta Force

PES Rep
Awards
  • Established
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
George Carlin hands down

Bill Hicks died right before he hit it big, but he's worth listening to, especially if a fan of Tool.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with SB: Carlin prior to the mid-80's (more social commentary, than comedy) was absolutely hysterically funny.

Bill Cosby, prior to beginning the Cosby show, also had very funny stand-up routines.

Eddie Murphy: prior to becoming a bloated, self-righteous *******, Eddie Murphy was a comic genius.

It is really hard to say, though, for one primary reason: there are some hilarious stand-up comics who do not/did not fare well in cinema and television; and, likewise, some hilarious comics in cinema and television who do not/did not fare well in stand up. Jim Carrey, for example, is an absolutely terrible stand-up comedian; really, just horrible. Likewise for Adam Sandler, etc. In my eye, though, I tend to associate the word "comic" with "stand-up," and I think that is how it's being used here.

Most people will probably say Carlin, Pryor, Lenny Bruce and the like, and, while they are all very funny, I think these votes will be as much motivated by their historical impact as their actual comedy.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dennis Leary in terms of stand-up comedy. No comparison, IMO.

Tansui

Tansui

Awards
  • Established
Bill Cosby... end
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt33zqib2qk"]YouTube- Bill Cosby---Grandparents[/ame]

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Ill take pryor on any day of any week. He was the only 'two sport' comedian that liked in movies and doing stadup.

There are many more but it is impossible to rank them all. I take RP due to the impact it had on me 21 yrs ago....

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I take Carlin as well. Just all of that anger coming from a little old man

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Cosby and Carlin are the two best I think. Seinfeld was a great stand up act as well. Both he and Cosby did well in stand up and television. Only saw one Seinfeld episode myself, but I know it was damn popular. No one controls a room like Cosby though, and his stuff is pretty timeless. Carlin especially got more topical and specific at the end, but I loved the guy's rants.

Always liked Dennis Miller myself, though I wouldn't put him among the greatest. More like solid. Should stick with stand up though or formats similar to his old HBO show, those are the only ones he seems to be proficient in. Radio and talk shows, he did crappy.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leary ripped off so much of his content from Bill Hicks.
Just about every stand-up comedian has ripped something from somebody else (to a degree). Leary had a stage presence to him though that set him apart from most, IMO.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just about every stand-up comedian has ripped something from somebody else (to a degree). Leary had a stage presence to him though that set him apart from most, IMO.
True, but there was a huge thing about it. Leary's "No Cure for Cancer" is basically all Bill Hicks' material, especially the part about Keith Richards and Jim Fixx. They were friends prior to this and understood that it was a common practice in the business, but Hicks drew the line since it was pretty blatant.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Bill Hicks, Lenny Bruce, early Robin Williams, and of course,... Seinfeld!!

reptone

Awards
  • Established
If you didn`t steal from Richard Pryor, you`re doing it wrong.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Also, Buddy Hackett made me laugh harder than ANYONE.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
****, I forgot Allan King. Classy, funny as hell. Definitely one of the greats.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Oldschool: Carlin and Pryor hands down.

More Current: Dave Chappelle and Lewis Black

PaloAltoMike

PaloAltoMike

I'm your PAL!
Awards
Oldschool: Carlin and Pryor hands down.

More Current: Dave Chappelle and Lewis Black
This. Also a big fan of Robin Williams, David Cross, and I could name a lot more but the list would be too long.