Hernia Surgery

C

Cyplex

Awards
I found out out I have a hernia located on the left side around the groin area and the constant and annoying pain has been to the point that it has been interrupting my daily life. I will be going in for surgery within a few weeks.

The question I have for anyone who has had a hernia operation is how has it affected your leg workout out? Will I ever be able to do an actual heavy leg workout afterwards? Are you nervous about ripping out the kevlar mesh and have to do the operation once again?

The doctor already warned me that squats may be a thing of the past and people who work out are more likely to have the surgery repeated. I guess I just don't want to turn into my personal gym pet peeve...the gym moose.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I found out out I have a hernia located on the left side around the groin area and the constant and annoying pain has been to the point that it has been interrupting my daily life. I will be going in for surgery within a few weeks.

The question I have for anyone who has had a hernia operation is how has it affected your leg workout out? Will I ever be able to do an actual heavy leg workout afterwards? Are you nervous about ripping out the kevlar mesh and have to do the operation once again?

The doctor already warned me that squats may be a thing of the past and people who work out are more likely to have the surgery repeated. I guess I just don't want to turn into my personal gym pet peeve...the gym moose.
I had an inguinal hernia about 6 years ago or so that was fixed with a mesh. I had one when I was 2yrs old, and I guess they didn't use mesh back in those days. (1 on either side, no repeats).

I do not believe it has affected my leg workout. My leg workouts have suffered a bit in the past couple years due to some weird hip feeling and hamstring tightness, but I don't think it's related at all to the hernia.

Am I nervous about ripping out the kevlar mesh and have to do the operation again? Yes. But I don't think that when doing legs (squats, presses, etc), although it would probably be on my mind for heavy deadlifts (I feel pressure in my lower ab region then). I guess I haven't done "heavy" deadlifts in a while...I'm considering what I used to lift as heavy, as I've lost a plate since then. I will admit that I still freak out at any twinge in that area when doing abs though. I immediately stop. It's most likely psychological, but I stop anyway.

I guess I should note that technically every lift I've done (since age 2) was post hernia surgery, and I haven't thought of it. Of course there was plenty of time to heal then.

I should also say that I never felt any pain with either hernia. I only noticed it visually when I saw a golfball like thing poking out in the shower. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I had a double inguinal hernea surgery 12 years ago. I laid off for aboutr a month. After everything healed up, I was back to my same old routine in the gym. It hasn't effected my workouts one bit and I've never had any problems. Just give yourself enough time to heal and you should be back to your normal routine in 4-6 weeks.