Any LEO's here?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I graduated from college in the spring, and have been having a problem finding jobs. BS in Mech Eng, with a minor and math and physics and no one will hire me.

Well, one of my buds who graduated at the same time has been looking at joining the police force. he figures that in 5 years he can apply to the FBI academy, or just stay as a cop if that doesn't work out. He already did a ride along, and convinced me to look into it. I'm pretty level headed, having run security at various places enough I can diffuse some situations without being an ******* or picking fights. Plus I think I've got the physical portion down. Took a look at the practice test as well (the aptitude test or whatever) and coming from my background it's almost a joke.

From what I have been reading (I don't jump into things without research) it looks like something I might want to do. I've read a few forums but figured I would give a shout out here and see if I can get some advice or insight. I already dropped forms by for a ride along so I'll get a good idea there. I'd be the first in my family to join law enforcement so I have no one personally to bug about this sort of thing.

So what are you impressions on the job? Any tidbits for someone thinking of applying?

methusaleh

methusaleh

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've done it all, you are welcome to PM me with questions.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
Research your desired law enforcement end game and whether or not that particular agency will have it. Your education is good for getting in the door but it won't really assist in promotion. I say this because it's possible to be passed over by someone who has nowhere near your education level... For places to put that brain to work I'd look into federal service with sections that will utilize that knowledge. Anti-terrorism and Post Blast through the FBI is a start. You also need to look at areas like the psych test,polygraph,background and legal/driving history before applying to know if you're waisting your time. Most places take anywhere from 6 months to a year from start to finish. LEO is like saying school teacher and askig requirements and suggestions for employment. You have literally dozens of areas and agency types(fed,state,local) to choose from.