Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What do you guys think?

Announcement | Nobels fredspris

Announcement

The Norwegian Nobel Committee

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2009

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that "Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges."

Oslo, October 9, 2009

roids1

roids1

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I seriously thought this was a joke at first. Al Gore wins the NPP for a slide show about global warming that any college freshman could have done and now Obama wins it, 9 months into his presidency, for giving a few good speeches on nuclear disarmament. Does the NPP have an meaning or credibility left at this point?

Once the N.Koreans and Iranians hear about this, surely they'll abandon their nuke programs immediately.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
He was probably just as shocked to hear it as the rest of us!

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Not to be cynical, but does the NPP mean anything?... I appreciate Obama for trying but it's not like he's actually stopped Iran from proceeding with Nuclear bomb R&D.... I don't think you can talk a country out of something like that, especially when your own country controls Nukes. Not to mention, it makes you a double-standard hypocrite.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
spearfisher

spearfisher

Awards
From what I hear, nominations were in place 11 days after inauguration. At that point all he'd done was...........ahhh..........well. Won the presidency?

Imnotascoolas

Awards
Considering Yasser Arafat got one a while back, then Gore I don't think they've had any real value or credibility for quite some time.

jackedandtan1

jackedandtan1

Awards
yea i read that they did place him in for the award shortly after his election so unless they have a mystcal crystal ball then they knew not of what he was going to do that might have been good and just kinda handed it to him

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its comical and goes to show the value of particularly the peace prize portion of the nobel prizes. All of the other nominees accomplished things, Obama gave speeches with a teleprompter.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Guys to be completely honest (and this is in NO WAY a racial slur) it was because it is our first black president.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys to be completely honest (and this is in NO WAY a racial slur) it was because it is our first black president.
It? :think:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
This is BS. Obama has done nothing good since his presidency.
From what I hear, nominations were in place 11 days after inauguration. At that point all he'd done was...........ahhh..........well. Won the presidency?
I seriously thought this was a joke at first. Al Gore wins the NPP for a slide show about global warming that any college freshman could have done and now Obama wins it, 9 months into his presidency, for giving a few good speeches on nuclear disarmament. Does the NPP have an meaning or credibility left at this point?

Once the N.Koreans and Iranians hear about this, surely they'll abandon their nuke programs immediately.
Nothing has credibility anymore. buckle up guys, this world is going to hell, and the ride is going to be bumpy.

First thing that came to my mind. I aint racist...but he has literally done nothing positive yet.

It? :think:
I will go with "it" for now until he proves himself human. :D Hell he doesnt even have a birth certificate....ALIEN INVADERS!!! Though many are throwing around ideas of him being the "anti-christ" i think he is just a slightly intelligent guy who knew if he ran for prez his entire race would jump behind him and it would be a cake walk even if he didnt have any real plans and just yelled "change" alot like a homeless person.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will go with "it" for now until he proves himself human. :D.... Hell he doesnt even have a birth certificate....ALIEN INVADERS!!! Though many are throwing around ideas of him being the "anti-christ" i think he is just a slightly intelligent guy who knew if he ran for prez his entire race would jump behind him and it would be a cake walk even if he didnt have any real plans and just yelled "change" alot like a homeless person.
Try to read what you write before you post! This is just ridiculous.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I mean seriously guys, obviously it was a political choice, and obviously his nomination was before he had accomplished anything. They stated it was because his statements embody their ideals of peace even though he hasn't made actual headway on anything, including closing guantanamo or heck even ending the "don't ask don't tell" in the military where merely requires his signature on an executive order. But thats no reason to go off the deep end either.

most of you will appreciate this

http://www.hulu.com/watch/99945/saturday-night-live-obama-address

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
not really, he is just mocking him. Zero, I believe the birth cert. issue was proven to be false though some are still skeptical.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
o.0

not really, he is just mocking him. Zero, I believe the birth cert. issue was proven to be false though some are still skeptical.
more onto it.

hence the Alien bit... but alas...

eh, I dont care too much about his birth certificate. Though this election has way too much shroud to it for me to even pretend to accept it was a real election.

Imnotascoolas

Awards
and just yelled "change" alot like a homeless person.
This part seriously damn near made me piss myself, I've never heard his campaign simplified so eloquently lol

But hilarious!

Not really proven, until they show the birth cert it won't be proven. Granted it's probably not true but he is the one who refuses to prove it either way.

juice3320

juice3320

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sorry bros haha that did sound a little bad. I was just using "it" as a general term for the situation, not for obama. But yep I agree, at least the man is trying to do some things but he hasn't done anything even close to deserve a peace prize. But to each there own I guess.