Torrents

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Anyone ever hear of somebody getting busted for dl'ing torrents.
My gf told me the other day that someone called the company she works at and they said someone is downloading to many torrents. They found out who it was and fired that person. Are there companys that watch for these types of things?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Anyone ever hear of somebody getting busted for dl'ing torrents.
My gf told me the other day that someone called the company she works at and they said someone is downloading to many torrents. They found out who it was and fired that person. Are there companys that watch for these types of things?
the only way they could have fired that person is if they were using the company network for it I think.

BUT torrents are supposed to make tracking individuals hard, but it doesnt work that great. Really they dont care too much about individuals because the problem likes in the groups who put the stuff out(think Razor).

Essentially you can be busted, the likelyhood of it is...well not much. If they went after people for it they would have to arrest 3/4ths the population under 30...

Porty

Awards
specific files, especially studio pre-release (ex, for academy award consideration) movies and some musical albums, are tracked by the companies that released them to incriminate download hosts more often than other files types

for instance if you were to seed a file named Universal_studios_Newest_Movie.avi, there's a higher chance you're getting tracked and gonna get in trouble (newest movie being the name obviously).

there's a number of "protection" softwares available for peer-to-peer client users which are meant to more of less protect us from the prying eyes of those companies

one that is regularly recommended is called PeerGaurdian2. I can't post links yet, but a quick search should do you fine finding it.

It's basically a software firewall program that essentially has an open source IP list blocking all those "known offender" companies and governments that like to screw people. You will inevitably be blocking regular users, but better safe than sorry IMO. Check it out, and be careful.

And yeah, hosting and/or downloading torrents from your office network is a pretty bad idea, especially uncapped. Because of the swarm protocol of torrents, you could potentially maximize the throughput of your computer (or servers...) network interface capacities and put a huge drain on your internet resources. Your admin will be pissed, and probably get you fired.

Caspa

Awards
I've received about 5 letters from Charter and 2 letters from ATT. They all threatened to take further actions if I don't stop.

Utter bull****. No one ever did anything. They were just bluffing. I actually called ATT back and told them that I am not downloading anything illegally and if they don't stop sending me letters I will cancel with them. They actually apologized.

I'd imagine if I got a letter from someone other than my ISP I'd be in deep ****, but that hasn't happened yet.

I DL via torrents daily.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i'm not sure how it is in US.... In australia, i used to work in an ISP, and we kept log of things but would very rarely look into them... the logs would have what IP addresses a person accessed and on what port amongst a few other datas. If it was 6881 or one of those few odd ports, it's a torrent download as this port is reserved. But the logs were only looked at on very rare occasions.

So i'm with Zero on this, as in it's a company issue. I think whoever the knob was who downloaded from work, must have been picked up by the company firewall which would have detected traffic on port 6881.

But I doubt ISPs make an effort to monitor even the known Torrent ports. Furthermore, torrents nowadays are connectionless meaning port information wont even be shown. Otherwise, they can be sent on port 80 and mistaken for web browser traffic. Not to mention other security measures such as data encryption. Even if the wonderful supersmart government was monitoring all the data coming into your computer, they wouldn't have a clue on what's coming in if you just click the encrypt tickbox.

FAMOUSX1

Awards
Has anyone tried to dl a torrent for guitar hero songs or backup your wii games?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
Lmao, if you are using your companies network to torrent you're not to quick. Torrent slam a network, so its understandable they fired him.

Download from trusted trackers and trusted uploaders. For instance, all my game and movie downloads are uploaded by reloaded on piratebay. No worries.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Chat 12