Windows 7

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone used Windows 7? I know it hasn't really shipped to shelves yet, but I do know some people have used it. How is it? Does it work good with older programs and games? Has anyone used Dosbox in Windows 7?

dpfisher

Yes do it, it's a million times better than XP or Vista. I don't know about DosBox. I would probably use something like VMware for that.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Yes do it, it's a million times better than XP or Vista. I don't know about DosBox. I would probably use something like VMware for that.
I play some old Dos game which is why I wanted to know how it runs Dosbox. I don't have the money to upgrade yet however. I was mainly concerned with it's support for old programs.

dpfisher

I play some old Dos game which is why I wanted to know how it runs Dosbox. I don't have the money to upgrade yet however. I was mainly concerned with it's support for old programs.
Is DosBox 16-bit? If it is I'm afraid 7 won't work. If it's 32 bit the installer might complain but you can just manually extract the files and it will almost certainly work. 7 is way WAY more compatible with pretty much everything than Vista is.

I see your age is 21, are you in college? Ask about your school's MSDNAA program. You might have to take a 100 level programming course or something but it's worth it for all the free software. I have every current 64 bit OS, xp pro, visual studio, and some various other things that I got for free through my college.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Is DosBox 16-bit? If it is I'm afraid 7 won't work. If it's 32 bit the installer might complain but you can just manually extract the files and it will almost certainly work. 7 is way WAY more compatible with pretty much everything than Vista is.

I see your age is 21, are you in college? Ask about your school's MSDNAA program. You might have to take a 100 level programming course or something but it's worth it for all the free software. I have every current 64 bit OS, xp pro, visual studio, and some various other things that I got for free through my college.
I go to community college. They don't want to give you anything for free. Also the governor just cut the budget. I get financial aid though. I can get anything I want in the college store up to a certain amount of money. I forget what my limit is. I do know though all they mainly have in there is books, pens, back packs and bad clothing. No software. My 3D modeling instructor is really cool though he hooked everyone up with 3D Max for free. Dosbox is 32 bit. It is just an emulator, that emulates old Dos games. Maybe they will just come out with a Windows 7 version. Luckily people are always working on Dosbox.

Caspa

Awards
Been using it since the RC came out. I love it. I've noticed a decent increase in performance over Vista and XP. It uses less resources.

You can use the RC for free. I believe it expires a few months into January.

If you have a legit Vista Premium serial there is also a chance you can upgrade to 7 for free.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Been using it since the RC came out. I love it. I've noticed a decent increase in performance over Vista and XP. It uses less resources.

You can use the RC for free. I believe it expires a few months into January.

If you have a legit Vista Premium serial there is also a chance you can upgrade to 7 for free.
I never got vista. RC? Can you provide a link?

Caspa

Awards
I never got vista. RC? Can you provide a link?
Bad timing. Looks like they JUST stopped allowing the download of the release candidate for free:

Sorry, the Windows 7 RC is no longer available for download. If you’ve got the download and need a product key, they’ll be available until October 21, 2009.

You could just download it via a torrent and request a key. That would actually be entirely legal too, since they are fine with giving out serials. They just no longer want to host the download.

I can't post links yet, but simply type "windows 7 rc" in google and it should be the first link. You could get a key there.