Anybody built a robot

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
Hey everyone, im building a robot and looking for advice. I know some may think its nerdy, but im just a big, buff, sexy, nerd. So if anyone has ever built a robot, or knows anything about them any help/advice would be appreciated.

Robbo

Awards
I built a walking hexapod with four servos for a course before my Batchelor's degree. Custom made all the body out of aluminium, it looked like something off that film, Virus, I think it was called. It wasn'r autonomous though, that would be nice.

My degree was in electrical & electronic engineering and I have 7 years pre-degree experience as a technician, and two after as a development engineer, so if you need any electronics advice I'll do my best :). I also have experience with various microcontrollers and small processors, programmed in Assembly and C.

I want to build a CNC machine when I get a better machine shop setup, I think they count as robots! I have one but it's only really suited to making PCBs due to the depth limitation.

I suppose I'm a bit of a nerd :S... I'm better at that than weights at least :(.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey everyone, im building a robot and looking for advice. I know some may think its nerdy, but im just a big, buff, sexy, nerd. So if anyone has ever built a robot, or knows anything about them any help/advice would be appreciated.
Sure thing man, picked up some hot tail with it too! :147:

Check it out:

Attachments

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
lol thats pretty ****ing funny, if i fail at making one ill use ur idea len

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
Thanks robo, this will be my first robot so ill need some help with: whats a good microprocessor, basic programing, how to wire them all together, and any other electronic stuff. Ill be picking up some books today, so i wont have to ask u a thousand questions. To give u an idea i want to use an rc car i have as a base(heard it was easier that way), and if possible arms.

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
Also are their any parts from an old computer that i can use

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
I build one every other week at least! I even have programmed to use my Fleshlight on me! **** is crazy good!

Ok, I'm totally full of ****. Haha, sounded cool though.

Props to you for building a ****ing robot. That's hi-tech. Got any pics?

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
Hmm a sex bot would be cool... Lol. All i have is parts right now i need a few more things before i can start building. What i going for is an r2d2 type look, but with arms. I would like to see robos walking robot, those are cool.

texaswolf

texaswolf

Awards
  • Established
Have any Japanese friends? I'm sure they could enlighten you.

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
Unfortunately no jap friends. Maybe i should go find one lol

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Thanks robo, this will be my first robot so ill need some help with: whats a good microprocessor, basic programing, how to wire them all together, and any other electronic stuff. Ill be picking up some books today, so i wont have to ask u a thousand questions. To give u an idea i want to use an rc car i have as a base(heard it was easier that way), and if possible arms.
Look at the forums on http://www.parallax.com/
they have several processors and a bunch of people that post in their forums. my son and I build one of the little robot kits that they sell and we have re purposed the micro controller on that for several things.

Also check out http://societyofrobots.com/
they have some really good beginner stuff and focus mostly on Adruino controllers.

Make magazine, http://makezine.com/ is also pretty good with electronics and robot projects.

Robbo

Awards
I wouldn't have thought there are many electronic parts in an old computer that would be much use just yet although there are many mechanical bits in disk drives that could be useful. Small springs, screws and stuff like that. It is possible to salvage parts from motherboards but it is seldom worth the bother over buying new bits unless there is something special. There will be plenty of cables and wires to use in an old PC.

Heat-sinks might come in useful, the power supply might be useful for testing but if it is an ATX type they are more difficult to switch on without a motherboard than AT or the ancient XT types.

I like the Microchip PIC, there is a bewildering selection of them though. Programming tools like PICBasic are available but I've only used MPLAB which is free from Microchip and a couple of C compilers.

marine0231

marine0231

Awards
Alright ive decided to make a fron drive robot, The base will be the metal casing from an old dell(its pretty cool looks like a mars rover).Eventually i want to put a car mini fridge in it, and add an arm or two. Just a little update. Is BASIC stamp 2 a program for pic. And is the MPLAB easy to use for a first timer, also do u download it from their site or do they send u a disc. Thanks again

Robbo

Awards
MPLAB is from their site, assembly language isn't really that friendly unless you have done some programming.

BASIC Stamp is another microcontroller, it might be a better choice for what you need.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i had sex with a robot before. it hurt