Yale Students Found Dead

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Edit: The title was supposed to be "Student" - not plural. Sorry.

Now, this is a very tragic story, but I have to ask you guys...is it bad that I feel worse about these things when it happens to attractive people? - I mean, regardless I feel bad for the victim and the family, but it always seems worse to me when it's a good looking chick, like in this case.

I remember there was a local story a while back about a young girl, 15 or so, that died from a shark attack right off of my home-beach. She was a real pretty girl, and I remember being at work and having a long discussion with another guy about how we kind of felt bad for it feeling worse to us knowing she was attractive.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
so where is the story about the yale girl?

panmerc

panmerc

Awards
Its gotta be natural. Why do you think she got the coverage in the first place. Other than it being at a major university. Its not like she was a famous or anything.

If a lotlizard was found in a trailer park it would barely make the medical examiners report.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Considering you have no other connection to the deceased than the photo then yeah, it is kind of bad if you feel worse than if they were ugly. There are a lot of criteria to consider on the person's impact on those around them but I think their beauty shouldn't be one of them.

Logo

Awards
It's perfectly natural. In general, the loss of an attractive person is a bigger hit to the gene pool. We naturally see those who are unattractive as having less desirable genes. It's hard-wired into us.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Some links to the story:

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/news_wtnh_new_haven_police_suspect_lab_worker_200909150653

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Search-for-Missing-Yale-Student-Leads-to-Waste-Facility-.html

I was at the building next door yesterday (its parking lot connects to the parking garage attached to the lab building), and there were FBI agents and cops with the German Shepards sniffing through the dumpsters for evidence. The parking garage was yellow-taped off along with part of our parking lot. When the story broke last week and they were searching for her, just about every corner of downtown New Haven had either Yale cops or NHPD... They were EVERYWHERE.

I think what made this story get so much press perhaps had to do with her looks, but probably moreso that she was a Yale doctoral student and it happened on the Yale campus/extended campus. Even worse, the suspect at the moment is either student or faculty (depending on the story). It's a PR nightmare for the university that could possibly lead to a financial blow (if prospective students are scared away).

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some links to the story:

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/new_haven_cty/news_wtnh_new_haven_police_suspect_lab_worker_200909150653

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Search-for-Missing-Yale-Student-Leads-to-Waste-Facility-.html

I was at the building next door yesterday (its parking lot connects to the parking garage attached to the lab building), and there were FBI agents and cops with the German Shepards sniffing through the dumpsters for evidence. The parking garage was yellow-taped off along with part of our parking lot. When the story broke last week and they were searching for her, just about every corner of downtown New Haven had either Yale cops or NHPD... They were EVERYWHERE.

I think what made this story get so much press perhaps had to do with her looks, but probably moreso that she was a Yale doctoral student and it happened on the Yale campus/extended campus. Even worse, the suspect at the moment is either student or faculty (depending on the story). It's a PR nightmare for the university that could possibly lead to a financial blow (if prospective students are scared away).
Yep, everything I've read said that the security in that building was very tight, and you couldn't get in just by having a Yale student card. That pretty much means there's a very good chance it was someone that was often in the building. Making a murderer "among" them.