Just got back from Myrtle Beach and Charleston, SC

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Left on 22 August and got back yesterday. It was one hell of a ride!

Due to some unexpected financial problems right before we left, we had to reserve a cheap hotel until we could move that Thursday to a better place. My girlfriend wouldn't take my word for how long it would take us to get there so we left too early and ended up getting in to Myrtle around 0300... Slept in the hotel parking lot until about 0700 where we both woke up in horrible pain. Called the hotel for early check-in and they just blew us off. Ended up going to the beach until we checked in around 1200.

Hotel smelled like mildew and gym shorts but we were there to enjoy the beach so who cares! Spent the day at the beach and came back and enjoyed some wine and passed out. Next day we wake up and hit the beach again and Broadway at the beach(shopping). We get back and notice Housekeeping hadn't come in so we go to the front desk and there seemed to be a policy that if you stayed less than 7 days at the hotel you had to personally being your towels and such to them for replacement. they don't come in and clean the room... **** it, more wine!

Fast forward to Thursday where we check out and got another room with a Hot Tub at the Fairfield Inn next to BatB. Went to Medieval Times where I started off with their monster sized drink(pics to come later) then went to Senor Frogs and had a few drinks(pics to come later) and then hit Fat Tuesdays for a 191 octane and then went to another 3-1 club where I don't remember leaving... Apparently I decided since I spent the money on a GD hot tub I was getting in and then passed out.(pictures taken but NOT coming later).

Woke up the next morning and headed out to Charleston with a huge hangover! Tried calling all of the close hotels next to the Historic King street shopping area and nothing was under 160 a night. Ended up saying **** it and went to the Holiday Inn and the lady there gave us the room for 99 a night! Spent the next two days shopping, taking tours of the city and then hit one of the oldest plantations reserved. It was a hell of an experience even with all the bull**** from the beginning of the trip.

Now it's back to reality and a new focus for the gym. Went shopping last night for all of the necissary grocery items.

Here's to day 1... all over again!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Wow, at the beginning of your post I was thinking I was going to need to appologize for my sister state to the south...glad it got better after those first few days. Like you said though, back to the grind.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The tour was amazing, learned a lot of history in just a few short hours. I wasn't able to fit in the Sumter tour though, which I regret. Gonna have to plan that one for next time through.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
nice, I am possibly heading down to myrtle this weekend. How long it take you to get down there?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
From Frederick, MD it took about 8 hours including stops... and one traffic stop 30 minutes out.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I dunno how you guys usually plan your trips, but if you want to get the best deals on hotels try using hotels.com and book a few weeks in advance. Can still get rooms close to when you're going, but much better deals the further in advance you book. The site has customer reviews of each hotel, and if you want even better reviews search tripadvisor.com, which sometimes has user uploaded pictures of rooms.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used Hotels.com, Travelocity,Priceline,Hotwire and something else. Compared prices and when it came down to it, I found that calling the hotel personally generated better deals. I use the websites to compare features and locations but don't book with them.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Welcome back, beeotch!

You need to get on down to Florida one of these days. :D

I don't get a vacation until the baby is born; then I'm taking 2 months FMLA paternity leave. It's not really a vacation per se when you think about it, but it's the closest I'll be getting to it for a while. :D

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I used Hotels.com, Travelocity,Priceline,Hotwire and something else. Compared prices and when it came down to it, I found that calling the hotel personally generated better deals. I use the websites to compare features and locations but don't book with them.
This is definitely true in many instances. When the wife and I took a trip to Savannah, Georgia we found better deals by calling the hotel directly; or even through the hotel websites.

BTW if you've never been to Savannah, Georgia.....I highly recommend. Very similar to St. Augustine, Florida.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was kind of ****ed up. The stretch of road to Myrtle about an hour out changes speed limits several times both up and down. it was early and i know better than to go speeding through small towns. I was looking down at my GPS to see how far out i was and when I looked up there was flashing lights. I looked down and was doing slightly over 50mph. Apparently the speed limit dropped to 45 just prior to the light and i didn't see it.

Cop walked up and I had the window rolled down, engine cut off and both hands on the wheel. He asked if i had seen the speed limit sign not too far back and when I explained what was ging on he smiled and let me go about my way. He was definitely looking for DUI's that night with such a low threshold for speed infractions.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah man, I love Savannah, GA. In all my years of living in GS i had never stepped foot in Charleston.