Top Gun According to Tarantino

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyN8VN4BSzM&NR=1"]YouTube - Topgun according to Tarantino[/ame]

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The dialogue is funny... but I just cannot f#cking s-t-a-n-d Tarantino. I'm not a violent person by nature, but every time I see his face, my fists clinch. I want to bash his head in with a shovel. He has to be THE most annoying, self-promoting, egotistical, pretentious twat in all of Hollywood.

Now, that being said... Top Gun is about the gays though. :lol:

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The dialogue is funny... but I just cannot f#cking s-t-a-n-d Tarantino. I'm not a violent person by nature, but every time I see his face, my fists clinch. I want to bash his head in with a shovel. He has to be THE most annoying, self-promoting, egotistical, pretentious twat in all of Hollywood.

. . . he's no worse than any other celebrity parasite. . .what about that whorebag Paris Hilton?

When I'm Emperor of the Universe, my first task will be eradicating such human undesirables. As Pulp Fiction is my all-time favourite movie ever, Taratino may live a little longer than the rest of his ilk..

AM07

Awards
  • Established

I don't know what you're talking about, but the guy is an amazing ****ing director. He has the right to be an egotistical bastard.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know what you're talking about, but the guy is an amazing ****ing director. He has the right to be an egotistical bastard.
Really? I think everything he's done after "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" has been mediocre at best.... but okay. Still, there's something sad about those directors who cast themselves in every movie they're involved with, and then go on the late night shows and try to do comedy routines.

Brilliant director... maybe. Annoying douche... definitely.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never seen Pulp Fiction, and I never really go into Reservoir Dogs. I thought those recent flicks with the chicks gun-leg thing sucked. I don't like him or his movies. I just thought the dialogue was funny in this.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
inglourious basterds was perhaps his best ever

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
inglourious basterds was perhaps his best ever
I'm still dying to see it. Really pressed for time these days. I hope I can get to a matinee this coming Friday or something.

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
I don't mind Tarantino as a director. Somewhat of a douche when he's interviewed though. One gets the feeling that he likes to try and suck himself off standing infront of the mirror every morning.

I would however like to break his jaw for including "Unbreakable" in his "top 20 movies of all time". That was an abortion of a movie. I want the two hours of my life back.

Yeah... I'm still bitter about it.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I agree to some point about the arrogance, etc. But his movies IMO are f*cking great!

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unbreakable did suck. Ha. I wanted to beat the hell out of Bruce Willis' kid in that movie. He was such an annoying little douche-monger. His stupid f*cking haircut. UGH!

Vance

Vance

Awards
  • Established
Unbreakable did suck. Ha. I wanted to beat the hell out of Bruce Willis' kid in that movie. He was such an annoying little douche-monger. His stupid f*cking haircut. UGH!
Absolutely.

Tarantino reckoned it was awesome because of the, "What if Superman was on Earth and didn't realise he was Superman...?" angle.

Personally I think superman or not he wouldn't be some douchebag security-guard and if he was, nobody would give a damn, don't make a movie about it.

I also think that someone would've cottoned on to the most conspicious man on the planet (A pimped up Samuel L Jackson with an insane angular afro who cries like a girl if anyone touches him because his bones break) being around prior to all these major 'accidents' because he was looking for Superman.

There was some serious narcotics abuse going on among the production team of that ****ty movie. But enough about it. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

I've heard mixed reports for Inglorious Basterds. Either people love it or hate it, nobody in the middle.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Inglourious Basterds is an amazing film. I highly recommend all of you to see it in theaters.

A lot of it is in French and German, so if you usually don't wear glasses to the theater, bring them with you because at least half of the movie is in English subtitles.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absolutely.

Tarantino reckoned it was awesome because of the, "What if Superman was on Earth and didn't realise he was Superman...?" angle.

Personally I think superman or not he wouldn't be some douchebag security-guard and if he was, nobody would give a damn, don't make a movie about it.

I also think that someone would've cottoned on to the most conspicious man on the planet (A pimped up Samuel L Jackson with an insane angular afro who cries like a girl if anyone touches him because his bones break) being around prior to all these major 'accidents' because he was looking for Superman.

There was some serious narcotics abuse going on among the production team of that ****ty movie. But enough about it. Just thinking about it pisses me off.

I've heard mixed reports for Inglorious Basterds. Either people love it or hate it, nobody in the middle.
I was so disappointed when Willis' kid didn't turn the gun on himself and blow his stupid brains out. Stupid kid.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? I think everything he's done after "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction" has been mediocre at best.... but okay. Still, there's something sad about those directors who cast themselves in every movie they're involved with, and then go on the late night shows and try to do comedy routines.

Brilliant director... maybe. Annoying douche... definitely.
His personality is definitely neurotic and tiresome. In terms of his films, it really depends on how much of a "film snob" you want to be: taking them on face value, they are more or less obscene gore, nudity and violence; from a film-historic view, they are "homages" to old B Films, Japanese Samurai Films, and the Sunny Cheeba-style '70's martial art films - more or less intelligently done. My favorite Tarantino films are actually Jackie Brown, and the pretty obscure "True Romance". If you have never seen True Romance, I suggest checking it out.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My favorite Tarantino films are actually Jackie Brown, and the pretty obscure "True Romance". If you have never seen True Romance, I suggest checking it out.
Tarantino didn't direct or even produce "True Romance," he wrote the script with Roger Avary.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Tarantino didn't direct or even produce "True Romance," he wrote the script with Roger Avary.
Yes, and it was his first optioned script for a major studio. Not sure why that is relevant, though?

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, and it was his first optioned script for a major studio. Not sure why that is relevant, though?
Because you called it a Tarantino film. Technically, it's a Tony Scott film. I never see writers being credited for Ang Lee or David Fincher movies.:shrug:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Because he called it a Tarantino film. Technically, it's a Tony Scott film. I never see writers being credited for Ang Lee or David Fincher movies.:shrug:
As far as I know, Scott wanted the helm for a few of Tarantino's first films, and they worked closely on the "style" of the film. Given that Scott followed the screenplay and style pretty closely, I consider it a "Tarantino film". I suppose from now on I will qualify my innocuous statements about Tarantino films? :drillsergeant:

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you are just pointing out that people may call a film a 'Tarantino film' based on his involvement, which seems to annoy you. I can definitely understand that. My reasoning is this, though: if Judd Apatow sold a script to Paramount, and Paramount hired a director to helm the film, but this director made a movie that looked, felt, and acted like one of Judd Apatow's other films - I would probably call that an "Apatow film". I refer to it as a Tarantino film, because it has Tarantino's trademarks all over it.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As far as I know, Scott wanted the helm for a few of Tarantino's first films, and they worked closely on the "style" of the film. Given that Scott followed the screenplay and style pretty closely, I consider it a "Tarantino film". I suppose from now on I will qualify my innocuous statements about Tarantino films? :drillsergeant:
Speaking of movies, do you remember "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic? I've never heard anyone refer to it as a Will Jennings song. But, he wrote it and helped to arrange it.

Nevermind... I should've never been on the debate team in college. I get too caught up in semantics!:lol:

"True Romance" is a solid flick. Excellent dialogue. Reps.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Speaking of movies, do you remember "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic? I've never heard anyone refer to it as a Will Jennings song. But, he wrote it and helped to arrange it.
Well, that is an entirely different relation between your key premises. By the logic chain there, you would consider Kill Bill Vol. 1 an Uma Thurman film. And yes, considering Will Jennings won an Oscar and a Grammy for it, I would consider it a Will Jennings song. :D

And I see your debate team, and raise you Law in reference to the semantics game. ;)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I refer to it as a Tarantino film, because it has Tarantino's trademarks all over it.
Although i'll agree its quite a spectacular film and has some tarantino elements, the gore is a little less graphic than most of his others. The I guess detail level of some parts and the blood level.

I'm going to watch it again, maybe tonite. Patricia Arquette is so unbelieveably hot in that, for some reason the imperfect teeth just add to it. And all Sicilians are niggers.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Although i'll agree its quite a spectacular film and has some tarantino elements, the gore is a little less graphic than most of his others. The I guess detail level of some parts and the blood level.

I'm going to watch it again, maybe tonite. Patricia Arquette is so unbelieveably hot in that, for some reason the imperfect teeth just add to it. And all Sicilians are niggers.
Christopher Walken's rant is one of my favorite in movie history. That and Brick Top's explanation of the word "nemesis" in Snatch!

And I would say True Romance's gore, despite being directed by a different man, shares more elements of goriness with Tarantino's later works than does, say, Resevoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. I suppose I was associating the dialogue with Tarantino's style first and foremost!

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established

"That makes you part eggplant ." :18: Definetly one of my favorite movie dialouges ever . I did not care for Grindhouse but I loved From Dusk Till Dawn -the first one only . Also I'm not sure of exactly what part Tarantino played in creating Four Rooms but it is also a great film . Hellride -mediocre at best.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"That makes you part eggplant ." :18: Definetly one of my favorite movie dialouges ever . I did not care for Grindhouse but I loved From Dusk Till Dawn -the first one only . Also I'm not sure of exactly what part Tarantino played in creating Four Rooms but it is also a great film . Hellride -mediocre at best.
I "think" he directed the last one - episode four. Each room was a different director!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aaahhh I see . Any idea who the other directors were ? Very cool concept for making a movie .
Robert Rodriguez directed one as well, but I have no idea beyond that.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And I would say True Romance's gore, despite being directed by a different man, shares more elements of goriness with Tarantino's later works than does, say, Resevoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction. I suppose I was associating the dialogue with Tarantino's style first and foremost!
yeah, dialogue was definitely his style. I guess coming freshly off seeing IB, my recollection of true romance just doesn't quite have the same graphic detail moments like the close ups on carving of swastikas in foreheads, or some of the deaths in the theater. Found out true romance is available on bluray now, so viewing in HD ought to help answer that for sure :D

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll check out True Romance. I've still never seen Pulp Fiction, either. Which one should I view first?