I kind of need advise on how to study

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I'm starting college in a week and it turns out I need to read two books for english, as well as doing work in my other classes. So, basically I'm not going to have a life or be able to go anyway for 3 months (college is great). Anyway, what kind of advise could you guys give me on how to study? I have trouble remembering what I read, especially if I'm not interested in it. I've never been much of a reader, but if I were to read something I'm interested in I can remember alot better. Like if I read a book by Bruce Lee I could remember much easier, than reading some stupid bs crap book required to read for college.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
take notes on the book or highlight passages in which u think are important. When u goto class pay attention at how the teacher talks about and what he or she is looking for good vs evil, man vs woman god vs science. Pay attention to what the teacher wants and pay extra attention to things having to do with their general interest because almost all the questions on exams and papers will be based off the instructors general interests.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I wish there was some easy trick. The only tip I can give you is to underline and highlight as you read, then go back and re-read the key sections. What is your major?

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
Listen up, take Spike Tabs or something like that. Makes a world of difference. FOCUS.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
My major is graphic design but english is required. **** i can't even draw that well, but I'm good at photoshop. graphic design was the only thing interesting.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He shouldn't need caffeine if he's properly rested and focused. I'll try and avoid suggesting nootropics, and stick to the basics. Get yourself into a library/wherever you study best. Remember to take short breaks to keep your mind fresh. Cue cards/highliting works for some. You have to find your personal way. I just finished undergrad and got into med school yet didn't study in the library once, but I think I'm more of an exception.

Also remember you can balance work with studying. Put in a few good hours during the day, then give yourself 9 pm and onwards time to go out with friends a few times a week. It's all about balance. Good luck, you'll make it through. :thumbsup:

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend sitting down and doing all your homework the minute you are done with your classes for the day. Don't wait till tuesday night to do homework assigned on monday and then turn it in on wed (classes are usually mon, wed, fri, or tue, thurs or mon, wed unless you have the once a week night class)

I did all my homework the day it was assigned my junior and senior years of college and it made it seem like I never had any homework. My nights were always really free.....my grades stayed up and I got drunk as often as I wanted.

If you have an exam - start studying 2-3 days before the exam and even sooner if you have two exams on the same day. This way you can break up the material and retain what you study. Never drink on a night that you study Bear in mind that I do not consider homework studying - studying IMO is when you study for an exam.

When you study - study in blocks of 45 min intervals with a 15 min break period. This will also help your retention.

I followed the above my junior and senior years of college - drank almost every night (sunday was recovery day, unless I drank on sunday - sometimes i'd have 14-21 day binges) and maintained a 3.5 GPA or higher. Don't think you can't have fun in college - there is plenty of time for it....freshman year and senior year will be your best years. Make the most of it man I wish I could go back and do it again!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend sitting down and doing all your homework the minute you are done with your classes for the day. Don't wait till tuesday night to do homework assigned on monday and then turn it in on wed (classes are usually mon, wed, fri, or tue, thurs or mon, wed unless you have the once a week night class)

I did all my homework the day it was assigned my junior and senior years of college and it made it seem like I never had any homework. My nights were always really free.....my grades stayed up and I got drunk as often as I wanted.

If you have an exam - start studying 2-3 days before the exam and even sooner if you have two exams on the same day. This way you can break up the material and retain what you study. Never drink on a night that you study Bear in mind that I do not consider homework studying - studying IMO is when you study for an exam.

When you study - study in blocks of 45 min intervals with a 15 min break period. This will also help your retention.

I followed the above my junior and senior years of college - drank almost every night (sunday was recovery day, unless I drank on sunday - sometimes i'd have 14-21 day binges) and maintained a 3.5 GPA or higher. Don't think you can't have fun in college - there is plenty of time for it....freshman year and senior year will be your best years. Make the most of it man I wish I could go back and do it again!
Things are a little different for me. I don't drink and I'm in community college for now at least, since that is what financial aid pays for.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
...Like if I read a book by Bruce Lee I could remember much easier, than reading some stupid bs crap book required to read for college.
You need a change of attitude in terms of those stupid bs crap books!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Things are a little different for me. I don't drink and I'm in community college for now at least, since that is what financial aid pays for.
So what. You can still apply those same principles. If you aren't drinking then you grades will probably be better than my 3.5 I rocked for 2 years while being ****faced 24/7.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
take notes on the book or highlight passages in which u think are important. When u goto class pay attention at how the teacher talks about and what he or she is looking for good vs evil, man vs woman god vs science. Pay attention to what the teacher wants and pay extra attention to things having to do with their general interest because almost all the questions on exams and papers will be based off the instructors general interests.
I definately would agree with this. I just finished a Literature class and I got an A in it. I really hate reading Shakespeare and we had to do Hamlet. Well, the story was 100 pages BUT she gave us handouts on some quotes to help us. We also watched the entire movie which really helped me to understand it. It was hard to try to read it. On the test there was a couple of questions based on the quotes. I had to remember what it referred to.

pay attention to what your teacher does focus on. write little things down because you might find it on the test.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
You act like it's the end of your life, not go anywhere for 3 months? Not logical.
Let me be honest, I have 3 degrees, one in the egineering field of computers and one in the fitness sports field, plus a grad in the engineering field. I never had to neglect what I seriously wanted to do because of school. Don't get me wrong wrong, you will miss out on the weekend trips and just jumping in the car and going for days but it's nothing that'll cost you your life if you miss.

Studying for college was MUCH easier for me than HS ever was and I graduated with honors twice.

It's not about how smart you are, it's how you prioritize your duties.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well, I majored in Molecular Bio, so I can't say HS was harder than college, but college was definitely more rewarding even it was more difficult.

As for studying, I never highlighted anything. I don't learn very well from being told something - but my reading comprehension has always been quite high. Attending lectures were merely to procure notes, from which I could actually learn the lesson. Taking good notes is a MUST.

I never crammed for a test or studied more than an hour at a time. If I had a test in a week, I'd begin reviewing for it in 10 or 15min intervals, which increased in frequency as the test approached. It worked quite well for me - honors, and now a couple of fellowships in grad school.

But find what works for you. Just bear in mind that procrastination should be avoided and that you are there to learn, which will require some sacrifices.

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
work before play mate.

Get motivated. Set goals. Use a reward system. Join a study group.

Get off the frikken net for starters.

Dump your girlfriend. Stay away from dope. Stay Focussed. Succeed.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I'm starting college in a week and it turns out I need to read two books for english, as well as doing work in my other classes. So, basically I'm not going to have a life or be able to go anyway for 3 months (college is great). Anyway, what kind of advise could you guys give me on how to study? I have trouble remembering what I read, especially if I'm not interested in it. I've never been much of a reader, but if I were to read something I'm interested in I can remember alot better. Like if I read a book by Bruce Lee I could remember much easier, than reading some stupid bs crap book required to read for college.
I usually do my quarters like this... Let my classes get backed up until 5 days before midterm, rush everything in. Then let all my class work get backed up until finals, then cram and finish everything in 3 days of hellfire. But I always net an A or B.

I am on the deans list, and honor society...so it works for me, but I dont advise it for most :bling: I cant tell people how to study, cuz my habits are horrible. Thank God I have a good brain an the ability to rely on short term photogenic memory, but with words.

I never follow the work before play method...but then again, I am a freak in many ways. Its just so damn boring learning crap that has no value to me or does not interest me and will do nothing to further my future.

Learning 10 chapters of educational psychology in 5 days...mwauahahahahahah:mischievous: Every English paper I write is done about an hour before class lol. luckily 500-1000-2000 words is not alot and can be strung out and restructured in roughly 40-45 minutes.

So, just look at me, and do the exact opposite!

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
He shouldn't need caffeine if he's properly rested and focused. I'll try and avoid suggesting nootropics, and stick to the basics. Get yourself into a library/wherever you study best. Remember to take short breaks to keep your mind fresh. Cue cards/highliting works for some. You have to find your personal way. I just finished undergrad and got into med school yet didn't study in the library once, but I think I'm more of an exception.

Also remember you can balance work with studying. Put in a few good hours during the day, then give yourself 9 pm and onwards time to go out with friends a few times a week. It's all about balance. Good luck, you'll make it through. :thumbsup:
CAFFEINE spike, yo. OR, something like that.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
CAFFEINE spike, yo. OR, something like that.
actually I honestly talleyed up either 3 or 5 grams of caffeine one day. That was the most burnt out I ever felt a few days later. WHEW, that much caffeine, I should have just found some speed.

Avoid caffeine IMO

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
actually I honestly talleyed up either 3 or 5 grams of caffeine one day. That was the most burnt out I ever felt a few days later. WHEW, that much caffeine, I should have just found some speed.

Avoid caffeine IMO
Yah, man! It's addicting.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established

Avoid caffeine IMO
DUDE! You signed up here in May 08' and you have almost 5,000 posts! Like whoa nelly! Your a machine, kid! So, maybe you ARE on speed afterall, huh, huh????? You crazy posting machine! :afro:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
DVD, They probably won't like me saying this but the best advice I can give you would be to close AM while studying. When I was in college this site was the worst for causing me to procrastinate. I learned a lot, but none of it was relevant to my classes.

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I highlight, and write things a million times, I take it everywhere I am, the gym when I am doing my hour cardio, work, and clip it to the clipboard, whenever I can where ever I am..........it helps.....:)

Good luck

TC

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
DVD, They probably won't like me saying this but the best advice I can give you would be to close AM while studying. When I was in college this site was the worst for causing me to procrastinate. I learned a lot, but none of it was relevant to my classes.
Amen, this and being on youtube watching Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers instead of doing homework...

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
The net in general can be very addicting. Get the life stuff done and out of the way, then it's play time.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The net in general can be very addicting. Get the life stuff done and out of the way, then it's play time.
Agreed; I would find AM a major timesink. I go on for 5 minutes to check PMs and would be on for an hour. Going to have to tighten up my internet time starting Monday. Summer is over, back to school.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw a studying suggestion thread and stumbled into a D measuring contest - degrees, that is.

:D