Weekly Topic??

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
After reading through the homosexual marriage thread, I am very pleased with all the members being able to keep the discussion civil and thoughts rational. I was also very impressed with the level of thought given to responses and the actual exchange of dialogue between our members into the thread spiraling out of control as a flame war. It got me thinking that this board and its members are up to conversation on the same level pertaining to different relevant subjects to our society and culture.

So, I was hoping maybe we could start a weekly “Topic of the Week” thread. Topics could include anything that is making news in the country, or some issue that is close to you and your beliefs/morals/customs/values/societal norms.

We can make it that any post that gets outright personal or in the same vein of those to be found at BB.com be deleted so that the members that do remain have a place to converse as adults.

Any takers?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
sounds cool to me.. now for the topic :)

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
That's a good idea. I do like the fact that members of this board respect each other, the occasional jokes are fine with me as I don't take them personal either.

A topic I could recommend is WHO SHOULD BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT ?
I don't much about politics but there are many things I don't like about Bush and others that I like. I do agree with the war Iraq and his stance against gay marriage, but he needs to boost the economy ASAP. I will probably vote for Bush since the other candidates seem too focused on criticizing him and not too focused on how to solve problems.

size

Awards
  • Established
A topic I could recommend is WHO SHOULD BE OUR NEXT PRESIDENT ?
I do not think this is a good one. I think this will just end in arguing. In all honesty, I also believe most people are NOT qualified to discuss economic issues.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I do not think this is a good one. I think this will just end in arguing. In all honesty, I also believe most people are NOT qualified to discuss economic issues.
If it affects their pocketbook they are more than qualified to discuss economic issues. Debate, however, is a different story.

How's this for a statement... I believe most people are not qualified to even vote, let alone discuss politics.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter. -- Winston Churchill

size

Awards
  • Established
Houseman...I agree in some respect. However, the effect on one's pocket book does not give an individual sufficient knowledge but rather the discussion will be based on opinions rather than theory and facts.

How about discussing Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ"?
I look forward to seeing this movie.

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
I like discussion, but agree w/ size, this discussion could lead to board kaos, as it is hard to stay on topic and base it on facts, w/o letting personal bias & emotion taint our "opinions"; besides, most people realize there has to be some standard to judge marriage by, and the members here are by and large respectful of that. However w/ President there is not an easy way to define a standard we can all agree on; these discussions often end up boiling down to hearsay, gossip, and opinions, instead of economics, moral fortitude, national security, and leadership ability among other things.

GIJoe

Awards
....How's this for a statement... I believe most people are not qualified to even vote, let alone discuss politics.
Funny, if it weren't so true... one of the few drawbacks of democracy -- freedom to be ignorant.

Already have tickets to "Passion"...

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Funny, if it weren't so true... one of the few drawbacks of democracy -- freedom to be ignorant.

Already have tickets to "Passion"...
This is exactly why the "founders" set up an inderect democracy instead of a direct one because we elect officals to do the job for us. We actually live in more of a republic than we do a democracy. Besides, voter turnout in the US, even in national elections, is freaking pathetic to say the least.

GIJoe

Awards
This is exactly why the "founders" set up an inderect democracy instead of a direct one because we elect officals to do the job for us. We actually live in more of a republic than we do a democracy. Besides, voter turnout in the US, even in national elections, is freaking pathetic to say the least.
You're completely right, I stand corrected... VERY impressed with your knowledge; few people know or understand what you just said.

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
We are a consitutional republic.

size

Awards
  • Established
I am more and more impressed by the knowledge of the AM members. :)

custom

custom

Awards
  • Established
I as well am looking forward to Mel's movie. I have tickets for the 28th, so that might be a good time to discuss-after some people have had the cahnce to see it. I was thinking of posting my thoughts on the seperation of church and state (without interjection of persoanl beleifs, or trying not to) mainly because we hear so much about it and it drives such primal emotions. But is what we know now what the forefathers wanted? Is is grounded in the constitution? How has it changed? If this interests anyone, I'll post page or so of thoughts. If not keep suggesting. ;)

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
I as well am looking forward to Mel's movie. I have tickets for the 28th, so that might be a good time to discuss-after some people have had the cahnce to see it. I was thinking of posting my thoughts on the seperation of church and state (without interjection of persoanl beleifs, or trying not to) mainly because we hear so much about it and it drives such primal emotions. But is what we know now what the forefathers wanted? Is is grounded in the constitution? How has it changed? If this interests anyone, I'll post page or so of thoughts. If not keep suggesting. ;)
I would be interested in the seperation of church and state discussion - bc as i understand it, it was to keep the state out of the church and not the church out of the state - meaning that the govt cant declare a church of the USA. The laws of the land are based on judeo\christian beliefs - so to say that church has no place in govt is assinine IMHO.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
I have a topic, how about racism....not whether you are racist or not, just about how it is portrayed in the media and on TV...I for one think we have lost site on what racism is

basically what brought this out was last night I was watching 2 comedy shows on 2 different channels.

one was on BET and the other on comedy central or something.

the BET one had a lot of black comics and 1 or 2 white dudes....all of them made a lot of jokes, about white people using racist terms like cracker..but that seemed ok people laughed.. I was not offended...I didnt care..

the other channel was a bunch of white dudes..not very funny actually...but none of them ever say anything about black people....I just think thats odd...so I started thikning about it..and noticed that on TV shows that are primarily geared towared African Americans...if you try and say there is no such thing..then stop because there is BET..enough said...

anyway..those shows seems to incorporate a lot of making fun of white people..whether its how they talk...walk..dance..do whtaever...but there is never really any of that coming from the other angle..

Does anyone see this or am I being stupid..

and btw, don't get me wrong, I am not racist or anything and the things that are said about white dudes don't even bother me..I just think it is funny.

it seems that if a comment is made about any other race besides white people, then it is offensive and racist..however if someone says "ha look at that cracker dance" that is ok...

sorry to hijack the thread, but it really was about suggesting a topic..I would like someone to talk about this with...and I hope nobody takes me the wrong way either

peace

h19

GIJoe

Awards
Racism anymore does seem to encompass what people are overly sensitive to, and not about what it really is; but then again, think politics. (so much more one could say...)

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Television programming geared towards black audiences is allowed because if you take a close look at TV as a whole the majority is so-called white biased programming eventhough it is not advertised as such. I think the fact that black programming is even labeled as black programming is part of the problem.

I agree that a double standard has been created with racism, but a lot, and I mean a lot, of it these days is being created by white liberals and white media. NBA players get away with calling white players "crackers", Dusty Baker makes his comments last yearwhich there was some uproar over, but there was no true disciplinary action for what he said yet Nic "the Greek" had his career ruined with similar comments. The tip-toeing we do around eachother so as not to offend anyone these days is absurd.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
I like your idea Custom and I would be willing to oversee the moderating to make sure the flames stay to a minimum. One piece of advice though would be to keep the topics regarding race out of here. I can only imagine how one comment taken the wrong way could end up a fast downward spiral and instant hatred towards certain members.

size

Awards
  • Established
I One piece of advice though would be to keep the topics regarding race out of here. I can only imagine how one comment taken the wrong way could end up a fast downward spiral and instant hatred towards certain members.

Sad if this would indeed happen.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Sad if this would indeed happen.

I agree, it boils down to maturity. If you are going to enter a conversation about something controversial, then you should be prepared to read/hear something that opposes your opinion and should not take offense to it.

I mean obviously if someone is blantantly being racist by making derrogatory comments that have no bearing on the matter at hand then yes that is cause for offense..

but to say just because something involves the topic of race we should avoid it is the whole problem with the world. Lets avoid the actual issue because nobody wants to talk about it. Why?

h19

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
but to say just because something involves the topic of race we should avoid it is the whole problem with the world. Lets avoid the actual issue because nobody wants to talk about it. Why?

h19
I never said I didn't want to talk about it. I just don't want to see people that get along on these boards all of a sudden end up hating each other. I have no problems discussing any topic, nor do I shy away from any heated debate. I'll be the first one to voice my opinion and the last one to be politically correct about it.

GIJoe

Awards
Hatred against a person for what he believes, that is so sad (sounds lika a bannable offense); I am very impressed with board maturity so far... unlike other boards which ban you for presenting another valid point that makes a mod re-think a post he made (I.E. sterility issues, etc.)

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I see what your saying, it could potentially open up a can of worms..but having a intelligent conversation about a real topic, that effects all of society, is different then say a topic called "why i hate white people"...i mean obviously its intent is malicious, and not worth discussion, because its not even a discussion..its to voice hate, and not the intent of a discussion

I just think people are too scared of the issue...and it is a shame.... I mean I am a white dude...and there is no way in hell I would walk down the street with a shirt that said "proud to be white" or something.....where as if I was anything else that wouldn't be a problem..not that I would want to wear one, because i don't really think about being white (like hey Im a white guy)..its just the principle.....just a weird issue I was pondering last night watching TV...

so hope no one hates me now...and again hope no one takes me the wrong way...but its there..and its worth talking about IMO

h19

size

Awards
  • Established
I have a topic for next week that will cause much more thinking rather than arguing. :)

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
go for it....although I do think my topic is def worth discussion, but I think its too scary for people...no offense by that, but that is just what the whole issue has become..

im up for it though...so long as its not involving too much politics regarding the presidancy..I had enough of that..

h19

Last edited:

size

Awards
  • Established
Could it be about a certain movie you alluded to earlier? ;)
Actually no, but I really would like to discuss that film especially after I see it. :)

Hamper...I have no problem discussing race. I think peoples fear of discussing it is foolish.

Last edited:

Godlike

Awards
I need to check the off topic area more often.
It seems some of us have passions for more than just our
physiques

Godlike

Awards

I just posted some info on the separation of church and state in the
homo marriage section. :p

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
Actually no, but I really would like to discuss that film especially after I see it. :)

Hamper...I have no problem discussing race. I think peoples fear of discussing it is foolish.
I didn't mean you in particular..and the topic I wanted to talk about didn't necessarily mean race directly..like lets talk about white people or asians..i just meant the fact that the issue of racism has gotten totally twisted...it is just annoying thats all...

but moving on...I think this whole thing with the movie is just a publicity stunt..

I mean if it was me that made the same movie, nobody would care..

h19

Godlike

Awards
It is because Mel Gibson is an Oscar winning actor and a huge box office draw.
Many people will see it and more than a few will be converted I assume is the fear.
Uncle Tom's Cabin made the country lean towards abolishing slavery in the 1800s
when more than a million people read it. I'm sure more 10 times that will see this
because of the hoopla alone. I didn't buy Ice T's "Cop Killa" CD until I heard all the
press it got.

size

Awards
  • Established
the topic I wanted to talk about didn't necessarily mean race directly..like lets talk about white people or asians..i just meant the fact that the issue of racism has gotten totally twisted...it is just annoying thats all...

i understand and agree 100%

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
It is because Mel Gibson is an Oscar winning actor and a huge box office draw.
Many people will see it and more than a few will be converted I assume is the fear.
Uncle Tom's Cabin made the country lean towards abolishing slavery in the 1800s
when more than a million people read it. I'm sure more 10 times that will see this
because of the hoopla alone. I didn't buy Ice T's "Cop Killa" CD until I heard all the
press it got.
I liked his bodycount CD......But what gets me..is religion is not neccessarily fact, I mean why get so worried when none of it may even be true...that is the real question..

Personally I am not religous, and am more of a prove it kind of guy...although I do find things like this interesting, just to see peoples beliefs...but thats all it is really..beliefs...I prefer the science book

h19