Brain Injury

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Hello, I have I posted here before but lately have just been a lurker on various boards (although I have to say this is by far my favorite place to lurk as I find the posts both infromative, and mentally stimulating). This may sound like an odd post, but please try to place yourself in my shoes and understand my perspective. Last Sat., or a little over a week ago, I was blind sinded by a soccer mom in her husbands SUV and slammed into a light pole totaling one of my 2 cars (thank God, not my new Tahoe). I was diagnosed with 4 brain contusions, and post tramatic syndrom, so that I have NO memory of the wreck, etc. Amazingly, I have no broken bones, just some slight brain trama which will somewhat affect my balance in the short term. The doctors are absolutely blown away at my recovery rate which is part of the reason I was discharged form the hospital yesterday. Anyway, doc said weight workouts, as well as moderate cardio are good as long as I dont try to lift too heavy and keep my blood pressure under 150 or so. My question is has anybody had any experience with post wreck brain trama and trying to come back to the gym. My cognitive processes seem completely intact, but slightly "muddled" due to the recent trama. Any input or a "heads up" about what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
I can't tell you what to expect, but I reccomend having a good spotter, and not trying to kill things, just take it nice and easy.

ManBeast

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I can't tell you what to expect, but I reccomend having a good spotter, and not trying to kill things, just take it nice and easy.

ManBeast
Sound like words of wisdom to me.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established

PC1

Geez, I have no experience with this, but glad to hear you survived the ordeal. I like Manbeast's suggestion. Then again, I usually like Manbeast's suggestions :D

Best of luck to you.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. I dont know what your beliefs are, but my survial from a wreck that severe, let alone the fact I'm walking and talking, is nothing short of miraculous-the equivalant to winning the lottery. Anyway, my love of the iron got the better of me today and I did chest, delts, and tris. After being laid up in a hospital for over a week, I only lost mabey a couple reps here and there-absolutely amazing!!! God and his angles were definitely with me bro! :) The docs have me taking painkillers which kill my appetite, but other than feeling like I went a couple rounds with Tyson in his prime, I'm good to go! Man, this wreck sure has shown me how much I love working out. I was in the third week of a 1-test 1,4 andro cycle and just was able to start my pct after being laid up in the hospital a week.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Geez, I have no experience with this, but glad to hear you survived the ordeal. I like Manbeast's suggestion. Then again, I usually like Manbeast's suggestions :D

Best of luck to you.
Thanks, me too. Manbeast is a knowledgeable guy, as are you PC1.

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
just make sure you watch the pain killers and don't over train..

I have been on pain killers once for a root canal...and I know that "ahhhh everything is nice" feeling they give you...just be careful and stay in tune with your body..

keep a close watch on everything and don't over do it..

good luck and keep us informed of the progress

h19

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
just make sure you watch the pain killers and don't over train..

I have been on pain killers once for a root canal...and I know that "ahhhh everything is nice" feeling they give you...just be careful and stay in tune with your body..

keep a close watch on everything and don't over do it..

good luck and keep us informed of the progress

h19
Again, sound advice. You're dead on about the pain killers, and I'm trying to ration them out wisely. One thing you guys might find interesting. I was unconcious at the time, but my wife told me that the neurosurgen repeatedly commented that if it were not for my tremoundously large muscular shoulders the trama to my brain would have been tremoudously worse, as a matter of fact he straight up told my faimily that if I had been a smaller guy (I'm currently 6'2, 230, 11-12% bf) I probably would not have survived. Man, I'm glad I work out!!!

GIJoe

Pat Tillman, American HERO
Awards
Again, sound advice. You're dead on about the pain killers, and I'm trying to ration them out wisely. One thing you guys might find interesting. I was unconcious at the time, but my wife told me that the neurosurgen repeatedly commented that if it were not for my tremoundously large muscular shoulders the trama to my brain would have been tremoudously worse, as a matter of fact he straight up told my faimily that if I had been a smaller guy (I'm currently 6'2, 230, 11-12% bf) I probably would not have survived. Man, I'm glad I work out!!!
You are so fortunate; I suffered from MTBI for the past 8 years; completely disabled 6 out of those 8 years. Doctors could do nothing for me because they didn't understand it well enough at the time. I just got my life back 6 weeks ago (interestingly enough, Piracetam did it; I'm guessing my debilitating headaches were caused by some sort of oxygen depravation); I'm taking full advantage of it, and am exercising like mad (like I was able to before the accident -- had to stop completely for that 8 year period). I went through hell during that period, and feel like I have a new lease on life; I can only stop and give thanks.

Try to stay away from the pain meds if you can; do not work out hard at least until you have alot of build-up time to reference to see how you handle it. Even then be very careful. Learn your limitations, and how far you can push; find other ways to control your pain than meds if you can (Ex. advil instead of hydrocodone, etc.). Sleep is often your only escape from the pain -- make sure you not only get plenty of rest, but quality rest as well (start with ear plugs and sleep in another room if you have to). I'm thrilled with the incredibly accurate advice the members give on this board. It is amazing!!!

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
You are so fortunate; I suffered from MTBI for the past 8 years; completely disabled 6 out of those 8 years. Doctors could do nothing for me because they didn't understand it well enough at the time. I just got my life back 6 weeks ago (interestingly enough, Piracetam did it; I'm guessing my debilitating headaches were caused by some sort of oxygen depravation); I'm taking full advantage of it, and am exercising like mad (like I was able to before the accident -- had to stop completely for that 8 year period). I went through hell during that period, and feel like I have a new lease on life; I can only stop and give thanks.

Try to stay away from the pain meds if you can; do not work out hard at least until you have alot of build-up time to reference to see how you handle it. Even then be very careful. Learn your limitations, and how far you can push; find other ways to control your pain than meds if you can (Ex. advil instead of hydrocodone, etc.). Sleep is often your only escape from the pain -- make sure you not only get plenty of rest, but quality rest as well (start with ear plugs and sleep in another room if you have to). I'm thrilled with the incredibly accurate advice the members give on this board. It is amazing!!!
I'm really encouraged to hear that things are looking up for you! At the risk of sounding ignorant what exactly is MTBI and how exactly did you come to suffer from this ailiment?

GIJoe

Awards
I'm really encouraged to hear that things are looking up for you! At the risk of sounding ignorant what exactly is MTBI and how exactly did you come to suffer from this ailiment?
MTBI is "mild traumatic brain injury", and I "acquired" this ailment by coming to a stop on a merge ramp because some idiot up ahead couldn't merge properly. 4 seconds later, got popped in the rear, and because of reflexes and weight training, and held on to the steering wheel (bending it out of round 2"); if I would have let go of the steering wheel, I would have likely been fine. Simple accident, serious consequences.

Ironically, the old couple that hit me had just pulled out of the hospital, and he hit me because he was looking over at his wife to make sure she was OK, then saw her body tense up and eyes get big as baseballs (oops, back to the hospital...) :rolleyes:

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
MTBI is "mild traumatic brain injury", and I "acquired" this ailment by coming to a stop on a merge ramp because some idiot up ahead couldn't merge properly. 4 seconds later, got popped in the rear, and because of reflexes and weight training, and held on to the steering wheel (bending it out of round 2"); if I would have let go of the steering wheel, I would have likely been fine. Simple accident, serious consequences.

Ironically, the old couple that hit me had just pulled out of the hospital, and he hit me because he was looking over at his wife to make sure she was OK, then saw her body tense up and eyes get big as baseballs (oops, back to the hospital...) :rolleyes:
I'm sorry you had to deal with that for so many years, but am equally glad that things are going better for you now. You just never know..... when you get into your car anything could happen. I definitely have a differnet out look on driving and life in general. I happened to take some pictures of my car today at the scrap lot. None of the guys that worked there could believe that I was alive, in one piece, and taking pictures of a car that could have been the death of me.

GIJoe

Awards
I'm sorry you had to deal with that for so many years, but am equally glad that things are going better for you now. You just never know..... when you get into your car anything could happen. I definitely have a differnet out look on driving and life in general. I happened to take some pictures of my car today at the scrap lot. None of the guys that worked there could believe that I was alive, in one piece, and taking pictures of a car that could have been the death of me.
You are indeed a fortunate individual... there must be a purpose for you somewhere :D

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
You are indeed a fortunate individual... there must be a purpose for you somewhere :D
The same to you brother, take care and enjoy your improved health/well being-I know you will. BTW, did back and bis tonight, and hey...not to shabby all things considered!

GIJoe

Awards
The same to you brother, take care and enjoy your improved health/well being-I know you will. BTW, did back and bis tonight, and hey...not to shabby all things considered!
Hate to say it, but that's why I drive European cars... not enough protection in the smaller American ones. :eek:

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
dam bro you are a lucky man, by looking at those pics i wouldnt have thought anyone would have made it out of that one alive......

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
dam bro you are a lucky man, by looking at those pics i wouldnt have thought anyone would have made it out of that one alive......
Nobody involved could believe it. I have heard the hopital staff use the term 'miraculous' several times. I thank God everyday.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Hate to say it, but that's why I drive European cars... not enough protection in the smaller American ones. :eek:
My other vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe. I made a bad choice of cars to drive that day.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I have been researching various nootropics to deal with dificiencies in my short term memory and ability to concentrate (which are due to the brain trauma I suffered from my wreck). These deficiencies are supposed to subside within the course of a few weeks to several months until I am fully recovered. In the meantime does anyone have any good imput on a stack that would help to alieviate these two deficiencies specifically (Piracetam, etc.). I return to work on Friday and would like to be able to perform as close to my previous level as possible. I am continuing to research but personal experiences and input are very valuable to me. Thanks.

paul3371

Awards
I am no doctor but another reason for not straining is if you have any aneuyesms (enlarged weakened blood vessel that can blow) in you brain from the contusions if you lift to heavy or to hard you could rupture it and cause an intercranial bleed. I am sure the doc would of seen these in the CT scan but i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Hope your recovery goes well

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I am no doctor but another reason for not straining is if you have any aneuyesms (enlarged weakened blood vessel that can blow) in you brain from the contusions if you lift to heavy or to hard you could rupture it and cause an intercranial bleed. I am sure the doc would of seen these in the CT scan but i just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. Hope your recovery goes well
I appreciate your input. You are absolutely correct, but I have been told by two neurological doctors that I can and should workout, just to keep my reps around 10 (no heavy doubles or singles). I had 4 cerebral hemorages (my brain was bleeding in four distinct areas), but they have all stopped bleeding almost a month ago according to the various CT scans I underwent. I am actually going back to work at 9:30am today and feel that I am about 90-95% mentally. If I met you for the first time and we interacted, you would never be able to tell that I was in a horrific car wreck. Bottom line, I suffered a SEVERE concusion, but according to the docs I am healing at a remarkable rate. I am on wellbuterin XL (anti-deprssants are often prescribed after severe concussions) and have been taking this along with GO which have both significantly improved my memory/concentration. After some research, I am considering adding Piracetam, Phosphatidylserine and Alpha-glycerophosphatidylcholine to this stack. The doctors have predicted full recovery within several weeks but I wish to augment the process through nootropics.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I hope this information will be useful. I have been on Wellbuterin, GO, Piracetam, and Phosphatidylserine since 03/05/04 and it has work wonders for my short term memory and concentration. These comprounds were definitlty put to the test as I suffered a severe concussion on 02/07/04 with 4 cerebral hemorages. I would estimate that my cognitive abilities are about 99% of what they were pre-concussion, and I have no doubt that the supplement/drug stack that I have been taking has played a major role in this. If nootropics can cause such remarkable improvement in someone who has suffered a traumatic brain injury, I can only imagind how well they might work in someone who has not suffered from such an injury.