Gaming PC Suggestions

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know of any good boutique companies that put together custom gaming PCs? I've traditionally gone with Dell, and my go to purchase right now will be the Dell XPS. I checked out cyberpowerpc.com today and was reasonably impressed, but would just like to see what else is out there.

I want to run the Intel i7 chipset with about 8GB of DDR3 RAM.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Dell are crap, any premade_gaming rig, unless from people who custom build em, sux.

Build your own. BUT please go with Pentium and Nvidia chip sets. You will get the best performance out of them.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Dell are crap, any premade_gaming rig, unless from people who custom build em, sux.

Build your own. BUT please go with Pentium and Nvidia chip sets. You will get the best performance out of them.
Nothing wrong with a built to order PC... Just takes an hour or so to strip out software you don't want, etc... I don't see the rationale behind saying they suck...

This Dell has Pentium and Nvidia.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I would say build your own for the $$$$$, or go with say a Dell or HP.
I got an HP with the best dual core (at the time) and best vid card (at the time) for little over a grand, as best buy was running a deal. I needed a comp fast, and my old one fryed.

I have had bad luck with building them in the past, and got tired of **** going wrong or supplier stifing me, and not having a warranty of any sort.

Or go get an alienware for the price of a used car.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Nothing wrong with a built to order PC... Just takes an hour or so to strip out software you don't want, etc... I don't see the rationale behind saying they suck...

This Dell has Pentium and Nvidia.
Even alienware is BS

You can build a 2000$ ordered gaming rig for abotu 800-1000 yourself...you make the call...

Find a local retailer that sales OEM parts. Basically its the part, without the box, or anything else, just sealed from the manufacturer. You save 40-60% on each part just getting it OEM- Damn cardboard must be expensive :laugh2:

Seriously, and its not hard at all to put it together and throw in your choice of OS, I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and it is siick. But dont use it for gaming it has certain issues with some games, go for XP for awhile until things get worked out.

SO a nice gaming rig for 1000$ with the power of a 2K machine... Just by spending 2-3 hours putting it together, and installing your own OS...yeaah.

Also free AVG virus program will save you money. And also there are 2 other programs I would recommend you download

google CC cleaner and I forget the other one...have to check. Free programs that keep your PC screaming.

Plus you may rip out the software they preinstalled, but for some reasons EVERY machine from dell is slower than the exact same build made at home. It seems like its only 80% capable of what you made on your own, because of underlying programs they put in there.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the suggestions V... Ideally, I'd build my own - but just don't have the patience and time for it. My current computer was handbuilt (by me) and its lasted me 7 years... Just on its last legs, and I don't see the point in upgrading anymore.

Interested in the free antivirals and cleaners you're referencing though.

ANIM4L

Banned
Awards
PCs for gaming... give this place a look

h**p://w**.alienware.com/

hardcore gamers loves these PC's

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
www.ibuypower.com

Customized it to the point that you're practically building it yourself, and for close to the same price as if you were.

Either them, or like Zero said, hunt around on pricewatch/newegg and build your own rig.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
PCs for gaming... give this place a look

h**p://w**.alienware.com/

hardcore gamers loves these PC's
Ew, no they don't. We're just led to believe they do. :18:

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Even alienware is BS

You can build a 2000$ ordered gaming rig for abotu 800-1000 yourself...you make the call...

Find a local retailer that sales OEM parts. Basically its the part, without the box, or anything else, just sealed from the manufacturer. You save 40-60% on each part just getting it OEM- Damn cardboard must be expensive :laugh2:

Seriously, and its not hard at all to put it together and throw in your choice of OS, I am using Windows 7 on my laptop and it is siick. But dont use it for gaming it has certain issues with some games, go for XP for awhile until things get worked out.

SO a nice gaming rig for 1000$ with the power of a 2K machine... Just by spending 2-3 hours putting it together, and installing your own OS...yeaah.

Also free AVG virus program will save you money. And also there are 2 other programs I would recommend you download

google CC cleaner and I forget the other one...have to check. Free programs that keep your PC screaming.

Plus you may rip out the software they preinstalled, but for some reasons EVERY machine from dell is slower than the exact same build made at home. It seems like its only 80% capable of what you made on your own, because of underlying programs they put in there.
OEM's are known to have imperfections, which is why they are cheaper, and comes with a shorter warranty than retail. Processors for example if I remember right have a 3 year retail warranty, and OEM has a 1 year. Companies definitely do not do it out of the kindness of their heart, it is because they want to make at least a buck on each piece... HD's are notorious for this as well.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
EW!? :lol: sorry thanks for the correction im not a hardcore gamer.. but games r fun & all. did u get offended?:laugh2:
I cannot justify those prices. It is like hydrolyzed whey. Sure it may be better, but I will be just fine with my isolate.

Me, offended? Nice try.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Even alienware is BS

I'd guess the Dell your saying is slower maybe is because of all the crapware they put on them. Just do a clean install as soon as you get the pc with the key thats usually on the side of the case. Really though I don't think you can save money by building yourself. If anything, its more money. Places like Dell and Hp purchase parts in such large quanities that they get rock bottom prices. PCs are so cheap these days, they are practically disposable. Heck, Wal-Mart just announced they are gonna start selling discount laptops for $299 from HP.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I usually run the whole OS install again to remove bloatware... Dell isn't really even the worst offender there.

I do agree with you TB on the price aspect. There's no way I can beat this Dell build without robbing the hardware.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I had to do a cleanup on my HP after i got it. Mini games, and apps outta the behind on this thing. After an intense cleanup, and modding to the system,.... I could play any game at top specs. The only game I turned the setting down to was the first crysis when it came out. BF2 and COD4, all up. After all those I got outta pc gaming, and bought a 360.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
I had to do a cleanup on my HP after i got it. Mini games, and apps outta the behind on this thing. After an intense cleanup, and modding to the system,.... I could play any game at top specs. The only game I turned the setting down to was the first crysis when it came out. BF2 and COD4, all up. After all those I got outta pc gaming, and bought a 360.
I'm a PS3 guy... Only things I play on computer would be like Starcraft / Warcraft...

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Starcraft 2 coming out, HELL yeah son. Too bad I wont be able to play it on my Personal Crapine.
Haha, its one of the main reasons I'm buying a new computer.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Starcraft 2 coming out, HELL yeah son.
Yessir! I've still got the 1st one installed, 10 years old and still great.

Silver3CSRT8

Silver3CSRT8

Awards
  • Established
Quick FYI, Alienware = Dell since after the merger. Nowadays, even though I am an IT guy, I will actually buy my complete systems rather than build from scratch. It is always such a pain to build them and I always end up troubleshooting some issue for several hours.

AVG Free is a good free antivirus program and SuperAntiSpyware is the best spyware removal free program that I have used.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Quick FYI, Alienware = Dell since after the merger. Nowadays, even though I am an IT guy, I will actually buy my complete systems rather than build from scratch. It is always such a pain to build them and I always end up troubleshooting some issue for several hours.

AVG Free is a good free antivirus program and SuperAntiSpyware is the best spyware removal free program that I have used.

SuperAntiSpyware is good, in fact I have the paid version. Although some would argue malwarebytes is better.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10298828-12.html?tag=contentBody;photoPromoMain

[http://download.cnet.com/A-squared-Free/3000-2239_4-10262215.html?tag=mncol - A-squared free.

Personally I like A-Squared free. It has a cobination of antivirus and antispyware. So you get dual protection. I've been thinking of geting the paid version since you get real time protection with both antivirus and antispyware at the same time. Some other companies claim that they have both anti-spyware and anti-virus but before this app I have never seen an anti-virus that actually detects any spyware. Its a little slow scanning but you get really good detection. Maybe some high rates of false positives, but you can always investigate those. It also makes it easy to report them.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
A-Squared is the best I've ever used.

There is a student discount that isn't too hard to fanagle even if you are no longer a student... or so I've heard...

MrBigPR

MrBigPR

NutraPlanet Rep
Awards
  • Established

Alienware has been Dell since about 2005...

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, they sold out awhile ago.

Made no sense for Dell... Alienware was for hardcore gamers only - getting bought by a freakin mainstream company just alienated (pun intended) their only customer base.

Dell should have focused on promoting their XPS offering... now that they have both - its just redundant - unless you want a retarded looking glowing computer that you bought of the Dell website with the same f*cking parts.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
Also, definitely not a "merger"... it was an acquisition.

Alienware was supposed to maintain its own salesforce / marketing / etc - and just use Dell's supply chain prowess. Obviously, that did not happen.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Dell should have focused on promoting their XPS offering... now that they have both - its just redundant - unless you want a retarded looking glowing computer that you bought of the Dell website with the same f*cking parts.
You arent familiar with the whole Firebird/Camaro bit are you? And GM in general.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
I'm a PS3 guy... Only things I play on computer would be like Starcraft / Warcraft...
yea PS3's are nice,... I want one for MGS. I got a 360 due to an extremely low price, and its fun. Thing about PC gaming that I no longer like was the fact no matter how good your system is,... a year, or so later, something better will come out, and you are constantly putting money into it, IF you want the best performance for the nest new games. Also,... MANY of the people I knew PC gaming no longer play; they have moved on. Online PC gaming with the exception of MMO's are on a great decline. The good thing about 360's and PS3's is, I can hit a couple ppl up I know from college or work, and kill Zombies all night long on the 360, with ppl I know.

TimberLakers

TimberLakers

Awards
  • Established
You arent familiar with the whole Firebird/Camaro bit are you? And GM in general.
I'm guessing you're referring to the shared logo / parts?

Firebirds USED to be the sh*t...

dave12

Awards
  • Established
If you aren't going to make you own every city has a place called Bob's Computer Store (or similar). Have him build it. If it breaks take it back to him.