Email Virus Spreading Through Members Address Book

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
<H1>W32.Klez.H@mm</H1>This was found on Norton's site and can be read in its entirety here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]

My anti-virus software has stopped several contaminated messages but the interesting thing to note here is that it spoofs the "from" address.  I highly encourage everyone to install adequate anti-virus software.

This worm searches the Windows address book, the ICQ database, and local files for email addresses. It sends an email message to these addresses with itself as an attachment. The worm contains its own SMTP engine and attempts to guess at available SMTP servers.

For example, if the worm encounters the address [email protected], it attempts to send email via the server smtp.abc123.com.

The subject line, message bodies, and attachment file names are random. The From address is randomly chosen from email addresses that the worm finds on the infected computer.

The worm will the search files with the following extensions for the email addresses:

• mp8
  • .exe
  • .scr
  • .pif
  • .bat
  • .txt
  • .htm
  • .html
  • .wab
  • .asp
  • .doc
  • .rtf
  • .xls
  • .jpg
  • .cpp
  • .pas
  • .mpg
  • .mpeg
  • .bak
  • .mp3
  • .pdf
In addition to the worm attachment, the worm may also attach a random file from the computer. The file will have one of the following extensions:
  • mp8
  • .txt
  • .htm
  • .html
  • .wab
  • .asp
  • .doc
  • .rtf
  • .xls
  • .jpg
  • .cpp
  • .pas
  • .mpg
  • .mpeg
  • .bak
  • .mp3
  • .pdf
As a result, the email message would have two attachments, the first being the worm and the second being the randomly selected file.

"Random" strings comprise the email message that this worms sends. The subject can be one of the following:

• Worm Klez.E immunity
  • Undeliverable mail--"[Random word]"
  • Returned mail--"[Random word]"
  • a [Random word] [Random word] game
  • a [Random word] [Random word] tool
  • a [Random word] [Random word] website
  • a [Random word] [Random word] patch
  • [Random word] removal tools
  • how are you
  • let's be friends
  • darling
  • so cool a flash,enjoy it
  • your password
  • honey
  • some questions
  • please try again
  • welcome to my hometown
  • the Garden of Eden
  • introduction on ADSL
  • meeting notice
  • questionnaire
  • congratulations
  • sos!
  • japanese girl VS playboy
  • look,my beautiful girl friend
  • eager to see you
  • spice girls' vocal concert
  • japanese lass' sexy pictures
The random word is one of the following:
  • new
  • funny
  • nice
  • humour
  • excite
  • good
  • powful
  • WinXP
  • IE 6.0
  • W32.Elkern
  • W32.Klez.E
  • Symantec
  • Mcafee
  • F-Secure
  • Sophos
  • Trendmicro
  • Kaspersky
The body of the email message is random.

<B>Email spoofing</B>
  • This worm often uses a technique called "spoofing." When the worm performs its email routine, it can use a randomly chosen address it finds on an infected<I> </I>computer as the "From:" address. Numerous cases have been reported in which users of uninfected<I> </I>computers received complaints that they sent an infected message to someone else.

For example, Linda Anderson is using a computer infected with W32.Klez.H@mm. Linda is not using an antivirus program or does not have the current virus definitions. When W32.Klez.H@mm performs its emailing routine, it finds the email address of Harold Logan. The worm inserts Harold's email address into the "From:" portion of an infected message, which the worm then sends to Janet Bishop. Then, Janet contacts Harold and complains that he sent her an infected message, but when Harold scans his computer, Norton AntiVirus does not find anything because his computer is not infected.

If you are using a current version of Norton AntiVirus, have the most recent virus definitions, and a full system scan with Norton AntiVirus, which is set to scan all the files, does not find anything, you can be confident that your computer is not infected with this worm.
  • There have been several reports that, in some cases, if you receive a message that the virus has sent using its own SMTP engine, the message appears to be a "postmaster bounce message" from your own domain. For example, if your email address is [email protected], you could receive a message that appears to be from [email protected], indicating that you attempted to send an email and the attempt failed. If this is the false message sent by the virus, the attachment includes the virus itself. Of course, such attachments should not be opened.
  • The message may be disguised as an immunity tool. One version of this false message is:

<TT>Klez.E is the most common world-wide spreading worm. It's very dangerous by corrupting your files. Because of its very smart stealth and anti-anti-virus technic,most common AV software can't detect or clean it.We developed this free immunity tool to defeat the malicious virus. You only need to run this tool once,and then Klez will never come into your PC.

NOTE: Because this tool acts as a fake Klez to fool the real worm,some AV monitor maybe cry when you run it. If so,Ignore the warning,and select 'continue'. If you have any question,please mail to me. </TT>
<TT>Chemo</TT>

curt2go

Homebrew Help, Inc.
Awards
  • Established
The suffix on that changes as well... H@MM can be almost anything. That virus has been going around for awhile.. Talk to ya..

Andy2k

Awards
Nice one BDC - I'll check that my AV is up to date on this one (it updates nightly, so it should be OK)
Everyone should have an AV AND a Firewall running - AV's don't always stop things such as Trojans.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some .dat's and Av's still don't clean it properly. I'm actually cleaning a computer now at work that has it. Its a nasty little virus if you get infected. There is a seperate fix on most anti-virus sites if you do get infected and you will have to replace some system files as well. Its not fun if you get it bad.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here's a fix if you need it.