Why the f*ck do PT Certifications cost so damn much???

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
really considering getting certified as a personal trainer. . . but every site ive looked at has outrageous prices.

first u have to be CPR and AED certified (which isnt cheap) to even take a certification test. then pay a sh!t ton for books and "online" BS courses AND usually the exam cost is extra $$$.

can anyone shed some light on their experience in getting certified? and which certification they took

Adam23294

Adam23294

Banned
Awards
NASM only costs around $600 and is accepted at many, if not most gyms, health clubs, etc.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
NASM only costs around $600 and is accepted at many, if not most gyms, health clubs, etc.
yeah ive seen that one. the one im most interested in is ISSA which is ~$500.

just sucks that u have to get a job just to pay for hopefully getting another job, lol.....if that makes sense. as soon as i get the $$ im doing it though

Adam23294

Adam23294

Banned
Awards
You'll probly wanna find out if getting hired as a PT requires a certification only, or a cert plus a 4-yr degree. Every state has their own laws. Here in FL, PT's only need a certification.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
yeah ive seen that one. the one im most interested in is ISSA which is ~$500.

just sucks that u have to get a job just to pay for hopefully getting another job, lol.....if that makes sense. as soon as i get the $$ im doing it though
i'm taking ISSA's course now. its pretty indepth, i've learned a lot. and about the cpr and iad thing, check out your local fire dept and or hospital, most will teach you for a very small fee. it cost me $30.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Wow.. i thought CCNA's or MSCE's or A+, Net+, Sec+ tests were bad at 250 a pop...

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
You'll probly wanna find out if getting hired as a PT requires a certification only, or a cert plus a 4-yr degree. Every state has their own laws. Here in FL, PT's only need a certification.
well hopefully i will have both :D....but the cert will definitely come along first

j rad

j rad

Awards
Most accredited Certs are about 500. If you spend less on one, its likely that most major gyms will not accept it. Local community colleges also sometimes offer cert courses for cheaper. Check that out.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
Most accredited Local community colleges also sometimes offer cert courses for cheaper. Check that out.
checked it out, the course is about $2,000....f that.

theres soooooo many to choose from its crazy, but from all the research ive done, the most accepted cert is ACE.

ACE is $400 + $250 for the exam....what a f ucking RIPOFF!!!

theres:
ACE
ISSA
NFPT
NASM
ACSM

and the list goes on...

edit: just found AMFPT...? only $80?...

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
What about NSCA? They have NSCA-CPT and NSCA-CSCS. Both are very good and widely accepted. Not too sure about the cost though. I looked into the CSCS a little while ago, but my time and cash are at a premium right now. Can't afford to let go of either for the time being. Just some food for thought OP, they're both definetely worth looking into.

nosnmiveins

nosnmiveins

Awards
  • Established
What about NSCA? They have NSCA-CPT and NSCA-CSCS. Both are very good and widely accepted. Not too sure about the cost though. I looked into the CSCS a little while ago, but my time and cash are at a premium right now. Can't afford to let go of either for the time being. Just some food for thought OP, they're both definetely worth looking into.
yeah i should have mentioned NSCA, definitely what i want, but not sure i can afford anytime soon. CSCS is basically the best u can get but u have to have a 4 year degree.

for the time being i will probably go with the cheapest, just to get my foot in the door and be able to show a piece of paper.

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
yeah i should have mentioned NSCA, definitely what i want, but not sure i can afford anytime soon. CSCS is basically the best u can get but u have to have a 4 year degree.

for the time being i will probably go with the cheapest, just to get my foot in the door and be able to show a piece of paper.
Are you in school for anything right now? Luckily you only need a "4 year degree" and not a degree in any specific field. I don't think my business degree would get me very far in that aspect haha. CSCS is pretty bad ass. It's definetely what I want to go with.

The ISSN also has several nutritional ceritifications to look into to couple with your PT (or CSCS) cert. I know all this costs $$, but I think it could give you an advantage in the long run. Check it out.