Japanese wrestling legend dies in the ring

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
The name Mitsuharu Misawa might not mean a lot to the majority of wrestling fans in the United States and other parts of the world, but in Japan he is considered one of the greatest wrestlers of all time.

Tragically, Misawa died Saturday in Hiroshima after being given a back suplex in a tag team match. He was several days away from his 47th birthday.

Misawa suffered an apparent heart attack after being knocked unconscious from taking the suplex. The match was stopped immediately and CPR was administered in the ring before he was rushed to a hospital in an ambulance. It is unclear whether he died in the ring or at the hospital.

Misawa was the Japanese high school national wrestling champion at 187 pounds in 1980, and was recruited by Giant Baba into All Japan Pro Wrestling. He gained his first taste of stardom in 1984 when he was chosen to be the second Tiger Mask. After unmasking in 1990, he became an even bigger star after a series of singles matches with Jumbo Tsuruta.

He was Japan's biggest pro wrestling star of the 90s, and one could make a strong case for him as the top wrestler of the decade. He was the Wrestler of the Year in 1995, 1997 and 1999.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

To give you guys a point of reference, Misawa was thought by many to be one of the, if not THE best wrestler in the world back in the 90's.

The American equivalent would be someone like Stone Cold or The Rock...if the kept wrestling.

He holds an amazing 24 five-star matches...more than anyone.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8PLkjfwZvU"]YouTube - Misawa Tribute video.[/ame]

Thank you for entertaining us all these years....

Sanesloot

Sanesloot

Banned
Awards
I dont remember him at all.. and in the 90's is when i was most interested in Wrestling... He just looked like some old fashion regular at my liqour store in line to get his 40oz

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Unless you watch the Japanese feds or read the international magizines most probably wouldn't be familiar with him.

He is best known as the second Tiger Mask, and then unmasking to fued with Kenta Kobashi in what is considered some of the best matches ever. They are on youtube. In case you're not familiar with Japanese style, it's less "showy" and more stiff than US wrestling. They try to make it as "real" as possible.

To update the article I posted, cause of death was determined to be spinal injury due to the impact.

Sanesloot

Sanesloot

Banned
Awards
Oh.. Yea, no matter what, it's always bad to lose a legend whether or not he was in line for his 40oz

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Unless you watch the Japanese feds or read the international magizines most probably wouldn't be familiar with him.

He is best known as the second Tiger Mask, and then unmasking to fued with Kenta Kobashi in what is considered some of the best matches ever. They are on youtube. In case you're not familiar with Japanese style, it's less "showy" and more stiff than US wrestling. They try to make it as "real" as possible.

To update the article I posted, cause of death was determined to be spinal injury due to the impact.
Ouch dude, death by spinal injury is Not the way to go. That had to hurt. Unless it was his neck snapping, which would be pretty instant and painless.

bigrobbierob

bigrobbierob

Awards
  • Established
Ouch dude, death by spinal injury is Not the way to go. That had to hurt. Unless it was his neck snapping, which would be pretty instant and painless.
He suffered damage to the cevical nerve. A friend of mine who's a chiropractor said that would shut all body functions down almost immediately.

Ironically, the move is called the deadly backdrop. Misawa has taken hundreds over the years. In fact, here's a vid of him taking the bump.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxPUPLC7Ugo"]YouTube - Deadly Backdrop Suplex[/ame]

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
He suffered damage to the cevical nerve. A friend of mine who's a chiropractor said that would shut all body functions down almost immediately.

Ironically, the move is called the deadly backdrop. Misawa has taken hundreds over the years. In fact, here's a vid of him taking the bump.
Seems he took one too many. Most wrestlers by the end of their careers are fugged up FUBAR style. I mean Hogan has new knees, his other ones wore down to nothing. Cray stuff.

Wrestling may be fake, but its still an athletic performance. Its basically Hardcore Theater, and these people, deal with very real injuries.