respectable gains in 10-11months...?

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
thought id post this in general chat...

just wondering on all your opinions regarding gains one should make in about 10-11 months (i started lifting december and will cut once november rolls around)... had some plateaus along the way with squat and bench...

but my question is... in that time frame, what would you guys say would be minimum, average and excellent gains in strength?

i started deadlifting at 220/240lbs roughly for about 5 reps and now can do about 375lbs with a goal of 440lb minimum for a 1rm by november... im happy but am wondering is this normal, good or average?

i know of a guy who in about 3-4months took his squat from 132lbs to 308lbs for 8reps... ridiculous... personally i plateaud around 220 and am just starting to break through it

my bench started roughly at 140lbs, currently at ~190/200 looking for 220+ by november...

so just state what you guys have achieved in roughly that time frame, or what you see as minimum goals one should aim for? (id presume new lifters gain more than advanced... otherwise a lifter of 20 years would be squatting ridiculous amounts if you could forever add 100lbs+ a year to your squat)

thanks

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I would say your gains are nice.

BTW for squatting platues, start doing wall sits and running up and down stairs with an extra 100lbs on you. Spend 45 minutes in a square foot stance, and see if your quads arent getting ready to rip through your skin haahah. I think the reason my quads used to be so strong was wrestling practice.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
nah im starting to go up again, had to lower 20lbs and switch from 5x5 and now to a 2x8... 8 for me is very high reps... and 5 sets just drained me hard... so this is working well im back to where i was and cant see it slowing down, form is much better at 220 and no leg buckling :D

tattoopierced1

everyone is different.. I wouldnt gauge your success against someone else's. A guy I train went from a 355lb deadlift to a 455lb deadlift in a month, but he has great genetics... If you are happy with your progress, then that is all that matters.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
everyone is different.. I wouldnt gauge your success against someone else's. A guy I train went from a 355lb deadlift to a 455lb deadlift in a month, but he has great genetics... If you are happy with your progress, then that is all that matters.

true. cant agree more. however if you added 30lbs to something like a deadlift in a year... i would say genetics or not its quite... a poor performance

tattoopierced1

true. cant agree more. however if you added 30lbs to something like a deadlift in a year... i would say genetics or not its quite... a poor performance
depends.. there could have been injuries or other variables inhibiting a greater performance. I've just learned to not base my progress to others, as there are too many different variables. As long as I'm seeing positive results, that is all that matters in the end.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
depends.. there could have been injuries or other variables inhibiting a greater performance. I've just learned to not base my progress to others, as there are too many different variables. As long as I'm seeing positive results, that is all that matters in the end.
Amen to that.

Every time my bench actually starts getting good and my body starts getting in the shape I desire something goes wrong. Injuries/illness suck hardcore. ATM my back is useless, cant lift atm. Though hitting the gym up again by saturday.

My entire physical career (back in HS too) is plagued with injury. I think its bad genetics combined with a stubborn attitude=driving that is more than my body can handle.

@ 22 years old it is
1. Achilles Tendinitis in both legs-healed atm, but always sensitive to re injury(hapned early 08)
2. Muscle in my left upper arm(between bicep and tricep on the outside) got tore up . . wrestling, still hurts to this day when I lift. I believe it was torn and reattached itself wrong.
3. Shanked my left knee with the back(long end) an ice skate in january, still pops when I bend.
4. Currently my back, at first I thought it was spinal from the pain, turns out LIKELY just my . back muscles are pulled and inflamed and were smashing nerves...

Add in random Infections(usually 2 at a time, sinus/ear combo usually, partially thansk to a bad tooth that always causes it, no insurance though...) and other small injuries....

I figure by 25 I will have an injury list a mile long hahah

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
Amen to that.

Every time my bench actually starts getting good and my body starts getting in the shape I desire something goes wrong. Injuries/illness suck hardcore. ATM my back is useless, cant lift atm. Though hitting the gym up again by saturday.

My entire physical career (back in HS too) is plagued with injury. I think its bad genetics combined with a stubborn attitude=driving that is more than my body can handle.

@ 22 years old it is
1. Achilles Tendinitis in both legs-healed atm, but always sensitive to re injury(hapned early 08)
2. Muscle in my left upper arm(between bicep and tricep on the outside) got tore up . . wrestling, still hurts to this day when I lift. I believe it was torn and reattached itself wrong.
3. Shanked my left knee with the back(long end) an ice skate in january, still pops when I bend.
4. Currently my back, at first I thought it was spinal from the pain, turns out LIKELY just my . back muscles are pulled and inflamed and were smashing nerves...

Add in random Infections(usually 2 at a time, sinus/ear combo usually, partially thansk to a bad tooth that always causes it, no insurance though...) and other small injuries....

I figure by 25 I will have an injury list a mile long hahah
ouch man that sucks, but you gotta live life to enjoy life!

i got 2 mates who are like that... always getting injured... i dont get it... ive fallen out of trees, been smashed up playing rugby, stacked off bikes and i walk away with a scratch at most... yet ive got friends who will pull or break something playing ping pong (no lie)