A.Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
B.Snatch
C.Burn After Reading

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Take out Burn After Reading and put in In Bruges.

I thought Burn After Reading sucked horribly. Either I wasn't in the right mood...or it just really sucked. I loved the first two you listed, and In Bruges is one of my favorites as well.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BAR was quite possibly one of the most terrible movies I had seen in 2008- horrendous, IMO. The Cohen brothers are phenomenal filmmakers, but BAR's shambolic plot severely clouded the well-constructed performances of George Clooney and Brad Pitt. I would forget BAR ever existed, and substitute Fargo there instead!

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BAR was quite possibly one of the most terrible movies I had seen in 2008- horrendous, IMO. The Cohen brothers are phenomenal filmmakers, but BAR's shambolic plot severely clouded the well-constructed performances of George Clooney and Brad Pitt. I would forget BAR ever existed, and substitute Fargo there instead!
Agreed...Although I still think In Bruges tramples Fargo, even though Fargo was great.

But I'm glad someone agrees with me. I really thought Burn After Reading sucked. I couldn't wait to leave the theater. I was extremely disappointed.

I can't agree that the Cohen brothers are phenomenal. I've seen some other crappy flicks by them...Ladykillers was stupid too...but The Big Lebowski makes up for it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
BAR made me want to gouge my own eyes out little pieces at a time with dull toothpicks.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Agreed...Although I still think In Bruges tramples Fargo, even though Fargo was great.

But I'm glad someone agrees with me. I really thought Burn After Reading sucked. I couldn't wait to leave the theater. I was extremely disappointed.

I can't agree that the Cohen brothers are phenomenal. I've seen some other crappy flicks by them...Ladykillers was stupid too...but The Big Lebowski makes up for it.
The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where For Art Thou?, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and The Man Who Wasn't There are all great films. IMO, they have a great genre-range, amazing grasp on lighting/cinematography, and are amazing storytellers [aside from that piece of crap, BAR].

I agree, though: I wanted to leave during BAR so bad, and was completely amazed by its critical acclaim. It was a movie whose plot was nonsensical, erratic and flustered, which considerably muttered some decent performances turned in by its actors. You keep waiting for a crescendo moment which will make up for the rest of the movie, but it never comes. Very terribly made, and the art-house film-critic crowd loves it because the general population does not understand it - because, it sucks as a film.

Anyway, my favorite dark/non-traditional comedies have to be A Life Aquatic, and Broken Flowers - I <3 Bill Murray.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where For Art Thou?, Fargo, No Country for Old Men, and The Man Who Wasn't There are all great films. IMO, they have a great genre-range, amazing grasp on lighting/cinematography, and are amazing storytellers [aside from that piece of crap, BAR].

I agree, though: I wanted to leave during BAR so bad, and was completely amazed by its critical acclaim. It was a movie whose plot was nonsensical, erratic and flustered, which considerably muttered some decent performances turned in by its actors. You keep waiting for a crescendo moment which will make up for the rest of the movie, but it never comes. Very terribly made, and the art-house film-critic crowd loves it because the general population does not understand it - because, it sucks as a film.

Anyway, my favorite dark/non-traditional comedies have to be A Life Aquatic, and Broken Flowers - I <3 Bill Murray.
I loved Life Aquatic, but really wasn't much of a fan of Broken Flowers. Maybe I need to watch it again. - How did you like Lost in Translation?

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does Smokin Aces count?? If so, I would have to go with that one. Fargo is pretty dam good too.

As for Lost in Translation- I thought it was a little slow and dapper personally. Not terrible but not one of my favorites either.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I loved Life Aquatic, but really wasn't much of a fan of Broken Flowers. Maybe I need to watch it again. - How did you like Lost in Translation?
Broken Flowers is in that mid-range of dark comedies, and it is really subtle. I found it to be great, though.

Like prl, I thought that LIT was a bit slow, but Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors of all time.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Broken Flowers is in that mid-range of dark comedies, and it is really subtle. I found it to be great, though.

Like prl, I thought that LIT was a bit slow, but Bill Murray is one of my favorite actors of all time.
:lol:

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. "

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I freakin' love Caddyshack! Bill Murray, despite the hideous disfigurement in place of his face, has that confident air about him that translates amazingly onto film. I also think he captured another side of Hunter S. Thompson in "Where the Buffalo Roam" that nicely predates Depp's version.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I freakin' love Caddyshack! Bill Murray, despite the hideous disfigurement in place of his face, has that confident air about him that translates amazingly onto film. I also think he captured another side of Hunter S. Thompson in "Where the Buffalo Roam" that nicely predates Depp's version.
Depp's another one of my favorite actors. I rarely see a movie with him in it that I don't like...Secret Window, anyone? That movie is rarely talked about but I really enjoyed it.

Edit: Actually, I just saw Chocolat, and didn't really care for it too much, but then again, while Depp was an important character, he wasn't in the film enough to really add much to it. In all honesty, I only watched that movie because I have a huge crush on Juliette Binoche.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Depp's another one of my favorite actors. I rarely see a movie with him in it that I don't like...Secret Window, anyone? That movie is rarely talked about but I really enjoyed it.
I saw Secret Window, but was a bit more drawn to John Turturro. For random, none-too-often-spoken-about Depp movies, I think "Ed Wood" and "Don Juan Demarco" are interesting. Brando and Depp sharing the same screen would have been better, though, had Brando not already been bloated and disinterested by that point!

For more random, underrated science-fiction films see: existenZ (1999) and Dark City (2000). If I am not mistaken, they both predate Matrix, or were made exactly during that time, and are absolutely phenomenal. Both are certainly tuned slightly more towards a philosophical and cerebral experience, but well worth it; particularly Dark City. I would really, really recommend that movie to anybody.

Mars1107

o i made a small list, there r so many good dark comedies.

i dont kno what the fuss is about of BAR, i watched two times and laughed more the second time.

john malkovich is great

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Mullet....Life Aquatic is amazing! I absolutely love that movie! Bill Murray is the man...nuff said. I have gone for halloween as a member of Team Zissou the last two years lol. I don't see that changing anytime soon. Noone has any clue what I'm supposed to be, but oh well. Amazing soundtrack as well.

Don't know if you can throw What About Bob? in this category as well, but that is one of my favorites. Murray is gold!

Love Lock, Stock and Snatch. Have yet to see BAR.

Noone has any love for Death to Smoochy? Robin Williams is f**king hilarious in the movie. When he calls Edward Norton and threatens him...one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

What about Misery? I certainly find parts of that movie pretty damn funny. Am I the only one? lol Great flick IMO. I never thought that these words would ever come out of my mouth...but Kathy Bates is a bad ass...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Misery is a great movie, but not so much of a comedy, IMO. (Ha, ha!) You hit the nail on the head, though: Bill Murray is absolute cinema-gold, I love that guy.