What the hell are we here for????

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone just thought about this?

One day you are just driving down the road, or sitting and watching television, checking on the latest designer steroid (lol) or <insert activity here> and just all of a sudden it hit you and you ask yourself, just why in the hell am I here on this planet, living, breathing, eating, sleeping, existing?

About 10 years ago I asked myself that question, but, I am not so sure that I ever answered it. I just sort of allowed other activities to substitute for the answer.

Basically saying, "oh, I must be here for this or that because this person or that person needs me, etc, etc," or something of that nature. Imagine, if tomorrow, you were gone; what impact would it have on the people left behind....

Ponders?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Did somebody just have a birthday? :borladuck:

I don't know why I'm here but I know what I intend to do. And that's all that I need to know.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Thats why i got Live not survive tattooed on my forearm. To remind me that my life only means something to me, i only get once so im gonna live it.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Thats why i got Live not survive tattooed on my forearm. To remind me that my life only means something to me, i only get once so im gonna live it.
Right on man. I'd rep you again if I could.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
We are here to observe. Double slit experiment. Check it out.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Pretty solid way to look at it.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I figured i couldn't go wrong, and if i did in the end at least the ladies dig the tat ;)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
We are here, to live, not to question why we are here lol.

i waste too much time thinking anyways.

Flyers2385

Awards
We are here, to live, not to question why we are here lol.

i waste too much time thinking anyways.
It's best not to ponder the purpose of existence bc you will never figure it out...so just keep pumpin iron

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It's best not to ponder the purpose of existence bc you will never figure it out...so just keep pumpin iron
Maybe that is the answer there. We are here to get hyoooooooooooge!

I settled for understanding that as long as I grow emotionally, mentally, spiritually, physically, metaphysically in life, then I am doing everything possible to move towards whatever purpose I am put here to fill. Therefore covering all the fields, and enjoying myself.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
i'm not gonna get into karma theory, but let's face it.. we ppl on here (AM) have a more wealthy and opportunistic life than 95 - 98% of the world. So really, we shouldn't be asking questions... we should be thankful and spend our question time to eat, drink and pump iron.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
i'm not gonna get into karma theory, but let's face it.. we ppl on here (AM) have a more wealthy and opportunistic life than 95 - 98% of the world. So really, we shouldn't be asking questions... we should be thankful and spend our question time to eat, drink and pump iron.
Sun Tzu? Socrates?

lol nice.

What do you mean by wealthy and opportunistic? I am poor financially, and get no breaks :wave2:

You speaking developmentally, physically, openness, and happiness?

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
Sun Tzu? Socrates?

lol nice.

What do you mean by wealthy and opportunistic? I am poor financially, and get no breaks :wave2:

You speaking developmentally, physically, openness, and happiness?
Maybe he means you have shelter and the internet.... lol. People who have supplement stacks are obviously doing well enough to afford the extras. Imagine truly being poor.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
Not sure.

I know I have some purpose, I should have been dead a long time ago.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Maybe he means you have shelter and the internet.... lol. People who have supplement stacks are obviously doing well enough to afford the extras. Imagine truly being poor.
Yeah seriously... think about how f'd up it would be to live in a place where you can't even get clean water. Really puts things in perspective when you're in an air conditioned room typing on a message board about body building, fitness, and supplements!

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
We all have a purpose in life, and once you fulfill that purpose....your life ends. Your purpose could be as something as small as just waking up every day to getting in a car crash or even helping the sick and needy. Regardless of how small or how large your role is in today's world, we all have our role in the grand design of things. Think of all the events that had to occur in your life (in your parents lives, their parents lives, and so on) for you to be reading this very thread and this given point in time. Everyone and everything has it's place.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
This queston is psychedelic in nature and is probably best pondered while in an altered state and that doesnt neccessarily mean "high". I think its a good thing to ask yourself from time to time. For some people the answer is obvious as a result of their acheivements, all of us have something positive to contribute, even if it is something like ignoring the collective negative idiocy of the masses. We are not here to be hive insects, or domesticated primates, that is certain. When we question reality, particularly the consensus reality, we see what is really there, NOT what everyone tells us to see, its all about thinking for yourself. Any one ever see the Hitchcock film "North by Northwest" with Cary Grant?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
This queston is psychedelic in nature and is probably best pondered while in an altered state and that doesnt neccessarily mean "high". I think its a good thing to ask yourself from time to time. For some people the answer is obvious as a result of their acheivements, all of us have something positive to contribute, even if it is something like ignoring the collective negative idiocy of the masses. We are not here to be hive insects, or domesticated primates, that is certain. When we question reality, particularly the consensus reality, we see what is really there, NOT what everyone tells us to see, its all about thinking for yourself. Any one ever see the Hitchcock film "North by Northwest" with Cary Grant?
That's a damn interesting answer. Someone who has never really been in an altered state would probably have a harder time figuring it out or actually seeing what's right there in front of them.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
That's one way of viewing it, but when you are talking about being fortunate, it really is a different subject matter than just wondering what your purpose is....

I believe that you can be thankful for being more fortunate (however you may view fortunate) however, it is a different topic to having and idea to why you are on this earth.

I think when you look at others and think that you could have easily perished with them, yet, you did not.... it gets very scary at times. Almost comical? Thinking of how many people, who have been better person's than yourself, die, yet you are still around? I think of these children that die at ages 2,3, 10, 12, whom have done nothing to anyone, yet others live.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
We all have a purpose in life, and once you fulfill that purpose....your life ends. Your purpose could be as something as small as just waking up every day to getting in a car crash or even helping the sick and needy. Regardless of how small or how large your role is in today's world, we all have our role in the grand design of things. Think of all the events that had to occur in your life (in your parents lives, their parents lives, and so on) for you to be reading this very thread and this given point in time. Everyone and everything has it's place.
Absolutely agree. Although I think this relates to the religeous side, I won't get into that. But I believe things can happen to us, our children or anyone for the purpose or benefit of others. God works in mysterious ways.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Absolutely agree. Although I think this relates to the religeous side, I won't get into that. But I believe things can happen to us, our children or anyone for the purpose or benefit of others. God works in mysterious ways.
Agreed. Everything that happens is a result of things that occurred in the past and a path to what's going to happen in the future. Whether or not a person believes in a higher power (I do.), the universe has a grand design that effects the ants in our soil all the way to the vast expanse of space. Everything is connected in some way, shape, or form.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
i think that in reality all you do is hinder yourself and waste precious time on this earth by pondering these things, although this can be a good method of finding yourself and keeping yourself on track in your lift, it also serves as a strain on your mind because in truth it is a question without answer that never will be answered. Live your life for yourself and for those who you truly care about and ensure that above all you and those people are happy and enjoying life to the best of your ability because when you're gone nothing else will matter.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
i think that in reality all you do is hinder yourself and waste precious time on this earth by pondering these things, although this can be a good method of finding yourself and keeping yourself on track in your lift, it also serves as a strain on your mind because in truth it is a question without answer that never will be answered. Live your life for yourself and for those who you truly care about and ensure that above all you and those people are happy and enjoying life to the best of your ability because when you're gone nothing else will matter.
Ah but what if the purpose of this life is to but prepare yourself for the next?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
just looking for a bit of clarification :)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
When I used to drink, I wrote great poems. As a sober man, I cant seem to write as good. haha.

Ponder this. Man today tries to spend as much time as possible with an altered state of mind. Weed, Drinking, Steroids all alter your state of mind. More serious drugs also. Those are recreational. Then we have medications for depression and anxiety, etc that also alter the state of mind.

Considering how many people spend time weekly in an altered state of mind, how would they be able to learn of their purpose in life, if their mind is no within the best grasps of reality?

If this was truly a way to find something out,then we would have psychological break through written based on it. All we get are multi-colored shirts and cranked out bands with tripped out videos and a few raves here and there.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
When I used to drink, I wrote great poems. As a sober man, I cant seem to write as good. haha.

Ponder this. Man today tries to spend as much time as possible with an altered state of mind. Weed, Drinking, Steroids all alter your state of mind. More serious drugs also. Those are recreational. Then we have medications for depression and anxiety, etc that also alter the state of mind.

Considering how many people spend time weekly in an altered state of mind, how would they be able to learn of their purpose in life, if their mind is no within the best grasps of reality?

If this was truly a way to find something out,then we would have psychological break through written based on it. All we get are multi-colored shirts and cranked out bands with tripped out videos and a few raves here and there.
Psychological breakthrough? Hmmm, Sigmund Freud, ring a bell here? Edgar Allen Poe? Jean Paul Sartre?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Psychological breakthrough? Hmmm, Sigmund Freud, ring a bell here? Edgar Allen Poe? Jean Paul Sartre?
Sigmon freud is no longer used like he ised to be for refrence, he just blames it all on sexual desires lol. Depressed? go screw more! Stressed, screw more! A lil insane, screw more! hahha j/k

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Sigmon freud is no longer used like he ised to be for refrence, he just blames it all on sexual desires lol. Depressed? go screw more! Stressed, screw more! A lil insane, screw more! hahha j/k
Thats a fallacious concept regarding Freud generally adopted by those that cannot understand psychology. It goes far deeper than copulation. Im talking about: The Ego, The Super-Ego, and The Id. These are theoretical "ego states" that we think in terms of and speak through. A Freudian, would say that in your reply, you were speaking through your "Id" which is how most people respond when confronted with something they dont understand or really even care about. Thats not wrong or bad, its just you and your "Id".

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Thats a fallacious concept regarding Freud generally adopted by those that cannot understand psychology. It goes far deeper than copulation. Im talking about: The Ego, The Super-Ego, and The Id. These are theoretical "ego states" that we think in terms of and speak through. A Freudian, would say that in your reply, you were speaking through your "Id" which is how most people respond when confronted with something they dont understand or really even care about. Thats not wrong or bad, its just you and your "Id".
I actually love psychology, and have to take about 50 courses in it for my education career. basically I am an extremely underpaid psychologist -.-

I agree with some of Freuds work. I was joking about the sex thing. Though eh difintly was a horny lil bugger. I spent enough time studying psychology to like it and understand it. Freuds isnt hard to understand, some of the other ones were friggin quacks though. Seriously there were some retarded experiments performed.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
Has anyone ever read THIS book?

IMO, one of the best books to read, if you're thinking about, why are you here for? It definitely makes you look at life from the different angle.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
only got one life man you gotta live it up! i really do hope there is a place beyond just this one life but were only sure of this one so you better not waist it! its crazy to just think at any minute you could be gone. imagine never seeing your family or friends again? it f*ckin breaks my heart to think that. show as much love as you can and dont ever be scared to take chances.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
only got one life man you gotta live it up! i really do hope there is a place beyond just this one life but were only sure of this one so you better not waist it! its crazy to just think at any minute you could be gone. imagine never seeing your family or friends again? it f*ckin breaks my heart to think that. show as much love as you can and dont ever be scared to take chances.
I am actually intrigued by death. You usually only get to experience it once. And I plan on being one of the calm peeps if its happening to me, I dont care to die. To me there is another world better than this. Accept fate.

But I wonder what that feeling of your essence preparing to leave is like?

no you guys cannot shoot me ^,^

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This life being a preparation for the next one. The next life, whatever that may be.
I would certainly like that to be true, however the skeptic in me thinks that it is just a pipe dream :(

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I believe life is about progress (physical, mental, spiritual) and experiencing as many things as possible.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I actually love psychology, and have to take about 50 courses in it for my education career. basically I am an extremely underpaid psychologist -.-

I agree with some of Freuds work. I was joking about the sex thing. Though eh difintly was a horny lil bugger. I spent enough time studying psychology to like it and understand it. Freuds isnt hard to understand, some of the other ones were friggin quacks though. Seriously there were some retarded experiments performed.
What profession are you studying that requires you to take 50 courses in psych? I know PhD's that didn't take anywhere near that many courses...or did you mean hours?

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I believe life is about progress (physical, mental, spiritual) and experiencing as many things as possible.
Perhaps, It could be as str8 forward as that^^^

Anywho
I do not ponder it today, but as a younger man, it did cross my man several times....

Honestly, I would think that 90% of the population has wondered about this, if even for 10 seconds? I guess, at times, we get so trapped in our daily lives of working out, reading nutritional facts, loving, working, playing, praying, sleeping, eating, being pissed off, happy, sad, going to funerals, hanging out with friends, writing, jerking off or whatever, that we sometimes forget to ponder this.
I don't expect an epiphany to hit me one day, actually, i don't even think about it now that I am well over 30.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
What profession are you studying that requires you to take 50 courses in psych? I know PhD's that didn't take anywhere near that many courses...or did you mean hours?
That is an exaggerated number. I am in the education field. I literally will take about 6 psychology or psychology based courses at my current 2 years school, then in my other 3 years at the next level I take about another 6-7 o.o

Education, is all about psychology you will find out. Especially considering I want to teach highschool, and we know how screwed up they are.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
"To crush your enemies , See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

~Conan the Barbarian

andrew732

andrew732

Awards
  • Established
I feel the purpose of life is to live a fulfilling life unto God.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I am actually intrigued by death. You usually only get to experience it once. And I plan on being one of the calm peeps if its happening to me, I dont care to die. To me there is another world better than this. Accept fate.

But I wonder what that feeling of your essence preparing to leave is like?

no you guys cannot shoot me ^,^
Dammit...

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
In all reality even after you realize what the meaning of life is you loose it quickly after

I dont claim to know much but I do know that I figured out the answer to the question that your asking once before, Its not really something that can be told

but it actually breaks down into something remarkably simple and you can sum the meaning of life up into one word as a matter of fact

Why did your parents create you?

Why was anything ever given the opportunity to live whatsoever?

javry

Awards
I feel the purpose of life is to live a fulfilling life unto God.
(This is all my personal subjective opinion i'm not bible thumping anyone lol, and i don't have a hit out for evolutionists, it just conflicts with my answer)

I agree, If we are just evolved monkeys than why do we wonder what our purpose is besides procreating. Why do we have a conscience that forms these questions? If we don't have a purpose but to live life in a hedonistic fashion than why did we 'evolve' to feel guilt, remorse, or even emptiness from a lack of a higher purpose, etc. That is because we do have a higher purpose. We aren't the result of macro evolution, we were created for eternal life. Can ANY of you try to imagine Not existing?? you can't, because your conscience does not let you. Your conscience is just another name for your soul. we were created for more than just making babies. Does Love come from Evolution? was that necessary for survival? No, Love comes from God and He has a purpose for our lives. So how come we are asking ourselves what our Purpose is, if God has one planned for us? because we need to go to God to find out. The New Testament has the answer (if you start with the Old Testament in the Bible your gonna be dazed and confused lol).

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Here's a thought i've been playing with.....

Creationism and Evolution are both true. Stay with me for just a minute.

We were created by a being that exists outside of time, or at least in a place where time progresses at a much slower pace than time does for us. Therefore, when God said "let there be light", it was instantaneous for him/her/it and to us we comprehend it as taking billions of years. So when God (or whatever you want to call it), created man it was also instantaneous. But the way we comprehend that happening and see that happening is through evolution.

We can't even begin to know what it would be like to live outside of our own time. We are always trying to save time, don't waste time, be on time, etc. Just imagine this. Living outside of a box where time was non-existant....but inside of that box.....time passed so fast that it would almost look like watching time-lapse photography.

So that ultimately leaves us the question with how can an entity such as god create races (humans, angels, etc) with just a single thought? Impossible question to answer.....but the universe and dimension that we live in is old. Old as time itself and time is endless. I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one entity in this infinitely old and infinitely endless universe that has achieved a higher state of being and enlightenment.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And to add the Debbie Downer POV...there IS no point. I don't think there is a 'greater purpose', 'afterlife', or any of those things.

I live my life to better the lives of my children, guided by a moral code instilled by my parents. Nothing more, nothing less. The ability to reason is the only thing that separates us from other life forms, and they have no 'purpose', they just exist.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
well anyone with any presence of mind to pick up on thing knows there are more layers to existence than the dimension we live in.

Which to me supports the ideas of heaven and hell. I mean other realms will be made of energy, by our classifications. So there could be a realm of negative energy, and one of positive. And technically these realms could influence ours as well, such as linking with peoples minds and changing em.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
Here's a thought i've been playing with.....

Creationism and Evolution are both true. Stay with me for just a minute.

We were created by a being that exists outside of time, or at least in a place where time progresses at a much slower pace than time does for us. Therefore, when God said "let there be light", it was instantaneous for him/her/it and to us we comprehend it as taking billions of years. So when God (or whatever you want to call it), created man it was also instantaneous. But the way we comprehend that happening and see that happening is through evolution.

We can't even begin to know what it would be like to live outside of our own time. We are always trying to save time, don't waste time, be on time, etc. Just imagine this. Living outside of a box where time was non-existant....but inside of that box.....time passed so fast that it would almost look like watching time-lapse photography.

So that ultimately leaves us the question with how can an entity such as god create races (humans, angels, etc) with just a single thought? Impossible question to answer.....but the universe and dimension that we live in is old. Old as time itself and time is endless. I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one entity in this infinitely old and infinitely endless universe that has achieved a higher state of being and enlightenment.
So, what you are saying is that evolution is our comprehension of the creation stories of the bible? Both are the same but just viewed differently? Ok, I can buy that.
I would ask the question though, which is factual and which is the "interpretation". Did individuals, years ago just use the bible stories because they could not understand evolution, or was evolution someone's excuse for existing?