FDA Set to Destroy $1.3M in Bodybuilding Products

IronMagLabs

IronMagLabs

Awards
  • Established
FDA Set to Destroy $1.3M in Bodybuilding Products

WASHINGTON— FDA has received a consent decree from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Southern Division, to destroy prohormone products worth $1.3 million. The decree included more than 23,300 bottles of three products distributed by LG Sciences LLC, of Brighton, Mich., marketed for use by body builders and distributed on the Web and at retail under the names “Methyl 1-D,” “Methyl 1-D XL,” and “Formadrol Extreme XL.” On behalf of FDA, U.S.Marshalls seized the products back in early April 2008, but the company was fighting the action, saying the products were DSHEA-compliant.

FDA said lab tests showed the products, which were marketed as dietary supplements, contain one or more unapproved food additives and/or new dietary ingredients (NDIs) and lacked scientific support for safe use. They found Methyl 1-D and Methyl 1-D XL contained 1,4,6-androstatriene-3,17-dione, also known as “ATD” or 1,4,6-etioallocholan-dione; Formadrol Extreme XL contained ATD and 3,6,17-androstenetrione, also known as “6-OXO”—the substance at the center of the legal battle between suspended Phillies pitcher J.C. Romero and several supplement makers and retailers.

FDA stated both of these substances are steroids that inhibit the activity of the enzyme aromatase; they can be found in dietary supplements marketed as testosterone boosters. Also, 6-OXO was created by Patrick Arnold, the chemist behind many of the BALCO products involved in the Major League Baseball steroid scandal, which involved Barry Bonds and other key players.

The agency emphasized it has no scientific information concerning the safety of the condemned supplements or their ingredients and, therefore, cannot determine whether they represent a hazard to consumers. They advised consumers who use or have used the products to discuss their use with their health care professionals. They added anyone who has experienced an adverse event related to any of these products should also consult a healthcare professional, in addition to reporting the event to MedWatch adverse event reporting (AER) system.

At the time of seizure, LG Sciences called the FDA action “merely a preliminary step in determining compliance with food regulations.” The company disputed what it called a “temporary restraint of its products” but agreed FDA was only trying to protect consumers. Further, LG said an ambiguous DSHEA allowed for such a seizure, but the company was adamant the offending ingredients were not NDIs, as they have numerous studies backing their safe use and have been in competitor’s products for several years. At the time, LG said it looked forward “to assisting the FDA in clarifying this matter and the prompt return of its inventory.”

However, FDA won the consent decree. “The court order is the result of efforts by the federal government to protect consumers from products for which there is inadequate information to assure that they do not present a significant or unreasonable risk of illness or injury,” said Michael Chappell, acting associate commissioner for regulatory affairs at FDA. “It shows that the agency is prepared to use the necessary legal means to keep such products out of the marketplace.”

FDA Set to Destroy $1.3M in Bodybuilding Products - [Blog]

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
when can we start a rebellion? I mean how much more has to happen?

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
theres tons of companies who make products just like this, and some worse. I wonder what made them go after LG. I'm not sure how big of a company LG science is, would 1.3M worth of 3 products hurt them badly?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
theres tons of companies who make products just like this, and some worse. I wonder what made them go after LG. I'm not sure how big of a company LG science is, would 1.3M worth of 3 products hurt them badly?
Every supp store you walk into, GNC included, carries LG's line.

I am sure this hurts them a bit. Because dont forget beasides losing 1.3 mil in inventory, they now are losing product lines as well...

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
how do you rebel? no one outside of dedicated lifters understand their use therefore believe the "steroid" hype, so by them stating these are steroidal everyone goes "oh no! steroids!" and thats that, we gotta ban it. its ridiculous but unfortunately the way our society operates.

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
not sure, but I would think it will sting a bit! lol
yeah i'm sure it will sting quite a bit. I like LG's products though so as long as theyre not going to go under because of this. Not just the 1.3M they lost but also all the profit they would have made if they still were able to sell the products. I hope they don't run into any trouble because i'm sure they won't be approved for a bailout anytime soon.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
how do you rebel? no one outside of dedicated lifters understand their use therefore believe the "steroid" hype, so by them stating these are steroidal everyone goes "oh no! steroids!" and thats that, we gotta ban it. its ridiculous but unfortunately the way our society operates.
Lets see...We also need to rebel against the cyber security act of 2009, the current tax setup, our corrupt government as a whole, unconstitutional gun laws, such things as the FDA as a whole, Medical corperations being allowed to control everything, everything else they do to keep us 100% under control.

We need to just explain to them, you know, with a "open" their minds....though talks or lead, whichever is needed...it will be open...

I hate oppression in its smallest form, and Americans are blind. Screw TIVO, screw cable tv, screw this cursed net we use to even type, it all dissipates peoples will. No one has desire or fight left in them anymore, and the ones who do count too few to do anything.

More and more will be taken...

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every supp store you walk into, GNC included, carries LG's line.

I am sure this hurts them a bit. Because dont forget beasides losing 1.3 mil in inventory, they now are losing product lines as well...
I must have missed this, but yeah i get what you're saying. Some companies rely solely on their prohormone products so at least LG has a lot of other good stuff.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
I must have missed this, but yeah i get what you're saying. Some companies rely solely on their prohormone products so at least LG has a lot of other good stuff.
lg sells m1d, m1d xl, and formadrol xtreme in bigger gnc's but they also sell anadraulic state and a few more things there too.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find it interesting where it clearly states they have no information about safety or if they are a hazard. We allow alcohol which is a bigger problem and is known to cause health troubles. Too funny.

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
hey now... lol alchohol isnt so bad... jk i do like to drink a lil tho, but cigarettes are what blow my mind, because they not only harm you but those unfortunate enought to be around you.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
AE14:

They tried to kill alcohol before, and it was more trouble than it was worth. Thats the only reason it's still around.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
I still hate the crazy reasoning the industry norm has in labelling their supplements to sound as close to steroids as possible (DecaVar, Methyl 1-D, Anadrol or whatever they are). Sure they do this as a marketing gimmick, most likely for the teenagers - but I think they bring unnecessary attention to themselves as well. Consumers aren't the only ones who see these names.

Maybe if I had a supp company with grey area products, I'd try to name them so they fly under the radar like: "Nature's Help", "Organical Vitamim" and "Field of Dreams" or something like that, lol.

IronMagLabs

IronMagLabs

Awards
  • Established
Maybe if I had a supp company with grey area products, I'd try to name them so they fly under the radar like: "Nature's Help", "Organical Vitamim" and "Field of Dreams" or something like that, lol.
and you probably would not be in business very long, marketing is the most important aspect of selling a product, that is why we chose to name our PH 1-Andro Rx, its obvious by the name what it is, and the term "andro" is very well known and still a very popular search term.

bigpapa

bigpapa

Awards
  • Established
yeah true. but if u think about it...dedicated lifters equal about 4 or 5 normal people...so we could put up a good fight

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AE14:

They tried to kill alcohol before, and it was more trouble than it was worth. Thats the only reason it's still around.
Oh I know, it is just amazing how as a society and government, we need to demonize things that may or may not cause harm, however due to $$$$ we leave other things out there. Always truly looking out for the best interests of the group :rolleyes:

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im sure the fact they they are called "Legal Gear" doesnt help out their case, lol

panther77

panther77

Awards
  • Established
yeah true. but if u think about it...dedicated lifters equal about 4 or 5 normal people...so we could put up a good fight
pry about as good of a fight as the guy in your avi lol we just need a small car and a shotgun and we'll be set

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Anybody wanna bet how much of that 1.3m dollars worth of inventory doesnt get destroyed, and just "happens" to walk away "somehow". :usa1:

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
1.3M? So basically they're just destroying a pallet of muscletech and basing their estimates on MSRP.