Swine flu: How concerned are you?

spiro

Awards
Not sure if there is already a thread about this. I couldn't find one.
How concerned are you? What safety measures are you taking?
Do you stock food?
Do you buy masks? If yes, what kind of masks? I heard N95 aren't safe and
that only nanomasks do they job. Is this true? But those nanomasks cost
a lot of money, too. Not sure if they are worth it. I cannot afford to pay
that much money for a mask which can only be used once that's sick.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
Im not worried about it, kinda like SARS a little while back.

spiro

Awards
But the WHO is already at level 5! What if this is some kind of "Outbreak" scenario and the public isn't told how serious it really is?

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
It definitly something too keep an eye on. But I'm not going Millenium bug over it or anything. I'll save the building of an underground school bus bunker for later.

spiro

Awards
I think being aware of this and paying attention the news and also independent news is important. If this stuff keeps spreading it can become dangerous pretty fast + the joke is that the masks which you see them handing out in the news like candy don't work. They look like simple surgeon masks which are absolutely useless against a virus. I cannot imagine that they don't know this. Maybe they don't have the more expensive masks in huge numbers or they don't care.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I agree that it is overhyped as of late. Definitely need to avoid the news and wash our hands! I think the masks only help with its transmission which I thought I heard it was from coughing and sneezing. At least those were the 2 most common transmitters. Just like the normal influenza.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
No more concerned than I would be about getting the "good'ol" flu. Already had it once this year, and it sucked.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
not concerned at all - as a matter of fact, you can get a really good deal on a vacation to a resort in mexico - cheap lodging and airfare. i'm thinking of taking a trip down there next month.

JustnCredible

Banned
Awards
I think it's still a little too early to tell exactly what's gonna go on with this.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
It is treatable, and has killed a whopping 75 in the US so far....call me when it kills 347,742 in 3 months...then we will talk.

Stupid panzy arse people so afraid of a bug...embrace death if it comes.

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
1. It's the flu

2. The news channels have been slow...nothing like causing mass hysteria in order to get people to tune in to your tv shows for 24 hour updates

3. I agree withe Zero...call me when people start dying off in large numbers

4. Remember...the flu that happens on a yearly basis kills over 300,000 people a year

5. IT'S THE FLU!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
My employer is taking it very seriously.
They have just issued a Swine flu procedure handbook.
I was real pleased to see that I have been given the role of Swine flu pandemic coordinator for our region. :thanks:

Here's hoping it doesn't get to be a pandemic.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Wake me up if it mutates into the infection that causes the zombie apocalypse.:saw:

jp17815

jp17815

Awards
  • Established
We all just have to remember the honkey American cure all.
Chicken soup.

JP.

bmxrazr

Awards
Really not worried about it. IMHO, it would be taking the proper precautions to the regular flu during cold/flu season....wash your hands often, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, try to avoid sick people and just stay in over all good health. Its the "unknowing/not knowing" factor that is driving the hysteria behind this sh*t, just stay cool and think clearly and you will be ok.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Crackers?
damn that was a good one!!! zing!

Anyway, the news even mentioned this as a possible bioterrism attack. You have got to be fuking kidding me. What kind of lame ass terrorists give people the flu? If there was an ebola outbreak or something like that then lets start throwing the word "terrorism" around. But seriously, terrorists spreading the flu! 24 hour news is ridiculous..

bigdognhb

Awards
This is getting completely blown out of perportion. I work in an ER. The other night was completely nuts. There was a line out the front door. People need to keep in mind on average 36,000 people die every year from the regular flu. 150 people died in mexico city out of 3 million. The media just needs ratings. Before this was bird flu, West Nile, SARS, Anthrax, ect.

TSB4me

TSB4me

Awards
  • Established
Great news.
Gotta do a power point presentation to my staff on the potential risks of the swine flu. :rant2:

At least I've organized it at a venue so we can score a free lunch. :burger:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has only killed 1 not 75 and that 1 was from Mexico. It has a lower death rate than that of the regular flu that kills a lot of people.

Not worried and not buying into the frenzy.

DAdams91982

DAdams91982

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I am going to drink my Echinecia tea now.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has only killed 1 not 75 and that 1 was from Mexico. It has a lower death rate than that of the regular flu that kills a lot of people.

Not worried and not buying into the frenzy.
A 1yo died in Texas.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
that 1yo was Mexican here 'visiting'. still wasn't a US death. At this point we still have no deaths in the US from the swine flu. What, an average of 32 thousand die each year from the regular flu?

toughchick401

toughchick401

Awards
  • Established
I to work in a hospital, got fitted tonight for my mask, gear and was informed of the protocal in case a kid gets admitted to the unit withe "flu like symptoms"....i have to say I agree, the flu is the flu.........

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
so if there is a wide spread epidemic,..... does that mean my dream of becoming the Lord Humungus in the roadwarrior will come true when the world ends?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TL4XZdyo3g"]YouTube - The Lord Humungus' Speech[/ame]

SCDiesel23

Awards
It is treatable, and has killed a whopping 75 in the US so far....call me when it kills 347,742 in 3 months...then we will talk.

Stupid panzy arse people so afraid of a bug...embrace death if it comes.
lol wut, there has been 1 swine flu death in America, from someone who came from Mexico for treatment.

Not to mention only 7 of the 152 cases of death have been confirmed from swine flu.

kingjmack

kingjmack

Awards
I'm not really concerned with it. There are worse things out there.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
overhyped. not afraid. keep living.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
A couple of people have swine flu and everyone starts wearing masks.
Millions of people have AIDs and no one wears condoms?

I'm not worried in the slightest!

spiro

Awards
I heard they are working on a vaccine. Do you know what this means? In a few months they will have it and then you stand before the decision wether to get it or not or maybe they will even try to force people to get it.
Then what do you do? I am already scared in winter and get a flu vaccine simply out of fear and I'm afraid that with this vaccine it will be the same. Maybe getting the vaccine is in fact more dangerous than not getting it but when all others get it then you don't want to be the only one who doesn't get it because you think what if this vaccine really works and you don't take it and then you get it? This totally sucks.