Man, I love the FDA...

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Unhappy Man, I love the FDA...

They take away our supps and then do this...

Official: FDA to Approve Plan B for 17-Year-Olds
    An official said the agency will announce that it is complying with a federal judge's order that overturns a Bush administration policy.

AP
    Wednesday, April 22, 2009
    The Food and Drug Administration, reversing field, will now let 17-year-olds get the 'morning-after' birth control pill without a doctor's prescription, a government health official said Wednesday.
    The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the agency will announce that it is complying with a federal judge's order that overturns a Bush administration policy. The official was not authorized to speak publicly before the FDA announcement, expected later Wednesday.
    Last month, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ruled in a New York lawsuit that Bush administration appointees let politics, not science, drive their decision to allow over-the-counter access to these pills only for women 18 and older. Korman ordered the agency to let 17-year-olds get the medication, and separately to evaluate whether all age restrictions should be lifted.
    Plan B is emergency contraception that contains a high dose of birth control drugs and will not interfere with an established pregnancy. Religious conservatives say it's the equivalent of an abortion pill because it can prevent a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus.
    The battle over access to Plan B has dragged on for the better part of a decade, through the tenure of three FDA commissioners. Among many in the medical community, it came to symbolize the decline of science at the agency. Top FDA managers refused to go along with the recommendations of scientific staff and outside advisers that the drug be made available over-the-counter with no age restrictions.
    "The FDA got caught up in a saga, it got caught up in a drama," said Susan Wood, who served as the agency's top women's health official and resigned in 2005 over delays in issuing a decision. "This issue served as a clear example of the agency being taken off track, and it highlighted the problems FDA was facing in many other areas."
    If taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex, Plan B can reduce a woman's chances of pregnancy by as much as 89 percent. It contains a high dose of birth control drugs and works by preventing ovulation, fertilization, or the implantation of a fertilized egg in the uterus.
    If a woman is already pregnant, Plan B has no effect.
    However, social conservatives say that since it can prevent the implantation of a fertilized egg, Plan B is the equivalent of an abortion pill.
    The treatment consists of two pills and sells for about $35 to $60. Women must ask for Plan B at the pharmacy counter, and show identification with their date of birth. The drug is made by a subsidiary of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, an Israeli company. It does not prevent sexually transmitted infections, including HIV/AIDS.
    Supporters of broader access argued that Plan B was safe and effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy, and could also help reduce the number of abortions.
    Opponents, including prominent conservatives, countered that it would encourage promiscuity, and might even become a tool for criminals running prostitution rings, as well as for sexual predators.
    Early in the Bush administration, more than 60 organizations petitioned the FDA to allow sales without a prescription. But according to court documents, the issue quickly became politicized.
    In 2003, a panel of outside advisers voted 23 to 4 to recommend over-the-counter sales without age restrictions. But top FDA officials told their subordinates that no approval could be issued at the time, and the decision would be made at a higher level. That's considered highly unusual, since the FDA usually has the last word on drug decisions.
    In his ruling, Judge Korman said that FDA staffers were told the White House had been involved in the decision on Plan B. The government said in court papers that politics played no role.
    In 2005, the Center for Reproductive Rights and other organizations sued in federal court to force an FDA decision.
    The following year, the FDA allowed Plan B to be sold without a prescription to adults. But the controversy raged on over access for teens.

2. Registered User
    Answers

Wow. There is so much to be said about this I would have no clue where to begin. But, stuff like this kills me when they turn around a ban our supps, like you mentioned.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Answers

Why do you hate the FDA for this?
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Random181 View Post
    Why do you hate the FDA for this?
    Can you not put two things together? They ban products like P-5-P, but then offer ovary-bombs to every 17yo girl. Gee, I wonder...Why could Irish Cannon be so upset?

Not to mention this will just lead to more unprotected sex, leading to more STDs, leading to more deaths, abortions, etc.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  198 lbs.
    Answers

crazy sh*t
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

The new FDA approve Slut Line of products! You will never have yo close your legs again!

What you want some vitamin B6 for your health? Screw you! Dont get sad, go find a girl using some of our new Slut Line products!
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    Can you not put two things together? They ban products like P-5-P, but then offer ovary-bombs to every 17yo girl. Gee, I wonder...Why could Irish Cannon be so upset?

Not to mention this will just lead to more unprotected sex, leading to more STDs, leading to more deaths, abortions, etc.
    That's a little presumptuous. Sometimes, sh!t happens, even when you take all of the precautions. I've had several occasions where the condom comes off during sex while the girl is on top.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    That's a little presumptuous. Sometimes, sh!t happens, even when you take all of the precautions. I've had several occasions where the condom comes off during sex while the girl is on top.
    Well I'm definitely not saying this is going to stop every person from 17 years old up from protecting themselves, but I am saying it will give some the feeling that they don't have anything to worry about, which in turn will LEAD to unprotected sex for some people.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Well I'm definitely not saying this is going to stop every person from 17 years old up from protecting themselves, but I am saying it will give some the feeling that they don't have anything to worry about, which in turn will LEAD to unprotected sex for some people.
    Chances are that the ones who need it the most will not be able to afford this and/or do not care about safe sex.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Chances are that the ones who need it the most will not be able to afford this and/or do not care about safe sex.
    $35-$60? I had a job when I was 16, and spent far more than that on supplements...

...not to mention the kids that get weekend money from their parents. That's another issue; these parents aren't told about this. What's stopping their kids from spending the money on Plan B?
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

$35-$60? I had a job when I was 16, and spent far more than that on supplements...

...not to mention the kids that get weekend money from their parents. That's another issue; these parents aren't told about this. What's stopping their kids from spending the money on Plan B?
    I live in a ****ty demographic of the country (<70% of the population lives in poverty) that has a high dropout rate and very poor education. Seldom do they have $30-60 to spend on this or, moreso, are even aware of it exists.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

I live in a ****ty demographic of the country (<70% of the population lives in poverty) that has a high dropout rate and very poor education. Seldom do they have $30-60 to spend on this or, moreso, are even aware of it exists.
    Are you describing the lost city of Detroit?

Edit: NVM. Just looked at your location.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Are you describing the lost city of Detroit?
    Nope, San Marcos, TX. Amongst the myriad of factors is their culture, religion, etc.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Did you go/Are you going to Texas State?
  15. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Did you go/Are you going to Texas State?
    Got my BS there and getting my M.Ed. from there.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

We are missing one major point. I know alot of people who are <poverty (hell be included ATM) who can spend hundreds a month on drugs and alcohol...when they want something.....they have ways of getting it.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Yeah, but I think we're talking about 17 year olds here... Not saying they are the brightest, but you would think they'd be smart enough to invest in cheaper types of birth control instead of this...

I just don't see 17 year olds rampantly having more unprotected sex just because of the availability of this expensive drug. I doubt they will have any more than they are already having...
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    We are missing one major point. I know alot of people who are <poverty (hell be included ATM) who can spend hundreds a month on drugs and alcohol...when they want something.....they have ways of getting it.
    and guns...and rims...and cars they shouldnt be owning....and jewelry...
  19. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by buuzer0 View Post
    Yeah, but I think we're talking about 17 year olds here... Not saying they are the brightest, but you would think they'd be smart enough to invest in cheaper types of birth control instead of this...
    yeah geez..i got alot of great ideas:

push her down a flight of stairs
    punch her in the stomach
    use a wire coat hanger (you get the picture)
    pull out
    give her an abe lincoln
    trick your friend into raising the kid if she gets pregnant
    etc...

j/k...lol
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

You forgot:

Do a barrel roll.
    Stick it in her pooper.

lol
  21. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

You forgot:

Do a barrel roll.
    Stick it in her pooper.

lol
    thank u for adding those. forgot about them. hell yeah stick it in her pooper, can't get pregnant that way.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bigpapa View Post
    thank u for adding those. forgot about them. hell yeah stick it in her pooper, can't get pregnant that way.
    be careful how much you tempt fate my friend. lol. Or you may be a scientific first!
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

be careful how much you tempt fate my friend. lol. Or you may be a scientific first!
    well if im the first...**** give me a ****in nobel prize....inter-anal conceiving lol
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

well if im the first...**** give me a ****in nobel prize....inter-anal conceiving lol
    lol, actually you could make alot of money off that. Then you could name the kid some kind of crappy term. Like Shizhead!
  25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

lol, actually you could make alot of money off that. Then you could name the kid some kind of crappy term. Like Shizhead!
    or like...poopstain...or asspie
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

or like...poopstain...or asspie
    Plus that one would be unique to explain. "daddy how are babies made" er...well son in your case when a man has an anal fetish, and tempts fate......
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Plus that one would be unique to explain. "daddy how are babies made" er...well son in your case when a man has an anal fetish, and tempts fate......

child:
    dad how r babies made?

me: well son, this one is complicated. see, normally a women gets pregnant with a child through what is called vaginal intercourse. now you are a special case. you are what we call an "anal baby", the first ever. what happened was mommy had her monthly visitor which turns her into an absolute bitch, and daddy had a little too much to drink. so he figured since one hole was broken, she had another one...to make a long story short...mommy couldn't eat solid foods for a while...
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

child:
    dad how r babies made?

me: well son, this one is complicated. see, normally a women gets pregnant with a child through what is called vaginal intercourse. now you are a special case. you are what we call an "anal baby", the first ever. what happened was mommy had her monthly visitor which turns her into an absolute bitch, and daddy had a little too much to drink. so he figured since one hole was broken, she had another one...to make a long story short...mommy couldn't eat solid foods for a while...
    LMAO!
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  232 lbs.
    Answers

Ive boughten plan b 2 times in my life, and Im thankful for it. Yeah i was 21+ both times but if not, Id have some kid w/ some crazy bitch.

Maybe kids will have more sex, but remember sh1t happens
    Serious Nutrition Solutions
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Answers

Never say never... I think it would be quite possible.

"WTF? How!?" You probably are saying...

Well, allow me to become quite graphic for a moment

*you've been warned*

Suppose a man ejaculates during anal sex with a woman. Well, as with vaginal intercourse, it's likely that there will be some "leakage" of the man's semen after the fact, if the woman doesn't take care to clean up.

Say some of this trickles down to other parts....

voila!

I'll be here all night folks
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Never say never... I think it would be quite possible.

"WTF? How!?" You probably are saying...

Well, allow me to become quite graphic for a moment

*you've been warned*

Suppose a man ejaculates during anal sex with a woman. Well, as with vaginal intercourse, it's likely that there will be some "leakage" of the man's semen after the fact, if the woman doesn't take care to clean up.

Say some of this trickles down to other parts....

voila!

I'll be here all night folks
    thats y u tell her clench ur cheeks woman. now run to the toilet lol...i know its possible but very unlikely...if u read the above post..i made a little skit of it.lol
  32. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  0 lbs.
    Answers

sorry for my latet reply, I dont normally browse the chat section, However I think this quote sums up pretty much my thinking, you cannot just say that 17 year olds cannot have the pill, especially considering the age of consent is 16, (it is 16 in america?), you cannot deny emergency contraception to teens, it is unfair and ridicoulous, if you want to have less std transmission then improve the sex education in schools.
  33. Registered User
    Answers

Official: FDA to Approve Plan B for 17-Year-Olds
    An official said the agency will announce that it is complying with a federal judge's order that overturns a Bush administration policy.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the agency will announce that it is complying with a federal judge's order that overturns a Bush administration policy. Last month, U.S. District Judge Edward Korman ruled in a New York lawsuit that Bush administration appointees let politics, not science, drive their decision to allow over-the-counter access to these pills only for women 18 and older. Korman ordered the agency to let 17-year-olds get the medication, and separately to evaluate whether all age restrictions should be lifted.
    Top FDA managers refused to go along with the recommendations of scientific staff and outside advisers that the drug be made available over-the-counter with no age restrictions.
    So, you are blaming the FDA for this, and not the federal judge? Did you actually read the article you posted? The FDA had been bowing to pressure from the jesus freaks in the previous administration while ignoring the relevant scientific and medical data demonstrating the safety and efficacy of the drug for the teen demographic. The FDA didn't willingly reverse policy; they did so only when ordered to by a federal judge.

Now, horror of horrors, a 17 year old will be able to prevent an unwanted pregnancy instead of resorting to an abortion. I'm sure they will start having unprotected sex in droves just to test it out. Just like when I got my first vehicle with an airbag and started ramming into brick walls for fun. Oh wait, its almost as if that line of thought is incredibly stupid...
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zaosha View Post
    Now, horror of horrors, a 17 year old will be able to prevent an unwanted pregnancy instead of resorting to an abortion. I'm sure they will start having unprotected sex in droves just to test it out. Just like when I got my first vehicle with an airbag and started ramming into brick walls for fun. Oh wait, its almost as if that line of thought is incredibly stupid...
    Because the two are totally comparable.

The morality of this isn't even why I'm upset. It's the fact that our health supplements are being banned, yet products like this are open and free to use. It just doesn't make sense to me, and it's very frustrating.
  35. Registered User
    Answers

Because the two are totally comparable.
    If you're suggesting that both assumptions are equally stupid then congratulations on getting the point. The majority of post-pubertal young people are going to have sex. We probably can't stop this from happening, but we can reduce the number of STD's transmitted and the number of unwanted pregnancies which result.

The morality of this isn't even why I'm upset.
    Yes, it is. You are implying that providing emergency contraception to 17 year olds is a bad thing; otherwise the dichotomy in your original post is nonsensical.

It's the fact that our health supplements are being banned, yet products like this are open and free to use. It just doesn't make sense to me, and it's very frustrating.
    Being upset about the B-6 ban is reasonable, but why compare it to making a safe and effective medication available to a population who can make use of it? The proper argument is to support that both medications and supplements should be made legal and widely available unless there is a compelling public health interest which dictates otherwise.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Answers

...and now you ARE making me want to get into a moral debate with you here, but again, it's not why I started the thread, so I'll refrain.
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Answers

The simple fact of everything is. If people acted the way they were supposed to. Abortions, drugs like this, and the FDA itself would not be needed. Sadly, America abused the ideal of freedom.
  38. Registered User
    Answers

The simple fact of everything is. If people acted the way they were supposed to. Abortions, drugs like this, and the FDA itself would not be needed. Sadly, America abused the ideal of freedom.
    The fact that every other industrialized nation has abortions, drugs like this, and agencies equivalent to the FDA might indicate to you that you are having a problem with fundamental aspects of human nature rather than anything specific to the American ideal of freedom.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Answers

I've heard every time a girl takes the morning after pill that you diminish your chances of ever being pregnant? Is this true?
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  200 lbs.
    Answers

This ^^. You cannot blame the FDA, hell there should not be any regulations on anything in this world. But people aren't responsible and some never grow up. So we need an organization based on purely parenting the citizens of this country. Selfishness, lust, greed, and obsession. Welcome to America.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. because i love AM
    By crazyfool405 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 01:01 PM
  2. I Love Sd!
    By javadsmm in forum Pics
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
  3. I love NP
    By Dadof2 in forum Supplements