Personal Trainers

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Hey there guys, i need some advise from some personal trainers. long story short, i have an opertunity to pick up 5 to 7 clients right away from a friend of mine that is a CEO at a corp. he knows how much i work out and has some 40 somethings that want to get into shape and have someone out line diets for them. i personally would like to become certified. this brings me to mmy question after looking on line for a company that would certify me in being a personal trainer and nutrition i found Personal Trainer Certification, Become A Personal Fitness Trainer, Fitness Certification & Education, Fitness Instructor Certification, Pilates Fitness Certification, Yoga Fitness Certification, Nutrition Certification would this be a good move to make if someone wanted what i described? or is there another company out there that might be better?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am interested in this as well! So I will sit right here and mooch off the answers >.>

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
tripdog, volcom(something or other) and a few others are trainers. Might do good to PM them and get specifics.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
AS far as just getting certified that will probably be good enough, I am certified through ISSA. One thing you may wanna look into is the Par-Q and other risk assesment forms. Since the age group you are training itself isnt a risk this is probably just being over-cautious on my part, but there are some health risks that may be prevelent in that age group that could result in the need of a doctors approval/medical release form before the clients begin working out. Also do you have insurance? You may want to get a health insurance waiver or something else so in the event something does happen you are not held responsible/liable for any injury. As far as certifications go its really word of mouth and results that get a trainer the money, what I have just mentioned is more along the lines of covering ur ass just in case something where to happen and making sure the individuals looking to be trained are actually healthy enough to undergo a work-out regiment. I hope that helps Good luck with everything!

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
AS far as just getting certified that will probably be good enough, I am certified through ISSA. One thing you may wanna look into is the Par-Q and other risk assesment forms. Since the age group you are training itself isnt a risk this is probably just being over-cautious on my part, but there are some health risks that may be prevelent in that age group that could result in the need of a doctors approval/medical release form before the clients begin working out. Also do you have insurance? You may want to get a health insurance waiver or something else so in the event something does happen you are not held responsible/liable for any injury. As far as certifications go its really word of mouth and results that get a trainer the money, what I have just mentioned is more along the lines of covering ur ass just in case something where to happen and making sure the individuals looking to be trained are actually healthy enough to undergo a work-out regiment. I hope that helps Good luck with everything!
ISSA is the school that i'm looking into rightnow. they've just become accedited through the dept of education. how are they in your opinion? how does having that cert. reflect upon your clients? do they even give a crap?

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
this is a link to a par-q form just so you have a reference
http://www.maxwellfitness.com/forms/Parqform.pdf

This is the health/history questionaire
http://www.hr.emory.edu/blomeyer/docs/HealthHistoryQuestionnaire2007.pdf

This is an example of an insurance waiver
http://www.bodycorepersonaltraining.com/Downloads/Waiver, Release, Assumption of Risk PDF.pdf

Now The par-q and the medical health/history questionaire are all pretty much the same from state to state.
To make sure your health insurance waiver is applicable in your state and that it will cover you I would suggest if you have a friend or a lawyer you know quickly look the example over and make sure that it will actually cover you in your states court system and is a legally binding agreement.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
ISSA is the school that i'm looking into rightnow. they've just become accedited through the dept of education. how are they in your opinion? how does having that cert. reflect upon your clients? do they even give a crap?
from what I picked up from asking questions about PT a year ago, it depends on the client. Some clients could care less if you work, some may be a stickler and wanna see that your certified.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
thank you very much man, it's appreciated........ALOT

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
To be honest the only things my clients care about are the results and the fact that they are talking to someone knowlegeable. I dont think any of my clients know who what when where i was certified and really do not base a lot of importance on the certification itself. The book that shows before and after pics is generally what causes people to choose a trainer. Or word of mouth and such.

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I am partners with an IFBB Pro, and we do everything from general fitness to contest prep (our specialty).

Currently, there are no regulatory agencies that control or license personal training. Certain facilities like to have their trainers certified under different programs. I know several guys making very good money who dont even have a cert....If you are going to be training independantly, you may opt not to get one and go ahead and start training....more often than not though, the trainer can benefit from the training....

holy

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
I am partners with an IFBB Pro, and we do everything from general fitness to contest prep (our specialty).

Currently, there are no regulatory agencies that control or license personal training. Certain facilities like to have their trainers certified under different programs. I know several guys making very good money who dont even have a cert....If you are going to be training independantly, you may opt not to get one and go ahead and start training....more often than not though, the trainer can benefit from the training....

holy
A few of the more popular accredited PT certs can move from gym to gym. If it is a cert to work at a gym most places have AFAA certified trainers.

Also, if you are going to be doing PT you need to look into some kind of insurance on top of getting certified; unless it is sort of an under the table deal. If you actually want to start a company or something get insurance.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established

im certified through ISSA and SMART (dave palumbos) and also DEFINETLY get trainers insurance,

from what i know MARKEL INSURANCE CO, accepts SMART, ISSA, and IFA i dont have other certs but markel has all those listed. and its not that expensive it covers you up to 500000 bucks or 1000000 bucks.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been an NSCA-CPT for 5 years now and I feel as though it is the most applicable to this field. The CSCS requires a BS degree, but is a necessity to become a strength coach for NCAA/pro teams.

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
ISSA being with DOE means exactly what? any discounts or hookups if your a teacher or work in the school system? anyone know

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
ISSA being with DOE means exactly what? any discounts or hookups if your a teacher or work in the school system? anyone know
I dont believe that ISSA offers any break for students or anything like that; HOWEVER if you are currently in college most colleges offer some sort of personal training certification program and or a strength and conditioning program. For example when I went to Umass amherst there was ACSM CPT and NSCA strength and conditioning certs, and they offered breaks on prices for students so you may want to check what your college offers and see if there is an associated assosiation that will cut you a break on the prices.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the easiest way is to do it through ACE. My buddy that is a complete retard passed the test so it cant be that tough lol. I went to NPTI a institute that over a 5 month full time curriculum you get nationally certified meaning no continuing education is ever needed, and is good in all states. It was rather pricey though, I think the ACE exam is rather cheep. Regardless what way you go any cert will hold up, and allow you to do what you want in the long run.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I think the easiest way is to do it through ACE. My buddy that is a complete retard passed the test so it cant be that tough lol. I went to NPTI a institute that over a 5 month full time curriculum you get nationally certified meaning no continuing education is ever needed, and is good in all states. It was rather pricey though, I think the ACE exam is rather cheep. Regardless what way you go any cert will hold up, and allow you to do what you want in the long run.
Hmmm I think I know my spring/summer plans

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
well i did it. i signed up with the ISSA. $500.00 out of my savings but nothing "ventured nothing gained". i'm quite confident that everything will be fine. thank you again for all the responses, i really do appreciate them all.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well i did it. i signed up with the ISSA. $500.00 out of my savings but nothing "ventured nothing gained". i'm quite confident that everything will be fine. thank you again for all the responses, i really do appreciate them all.
Good luck bro, its a fun job no doubt.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
Good luck with everything! Now remember no matter what you read what has worked for you in person is more important than any information that is "scientifically proven". Just get the cert but remember what has got you to the body you have and the information you have on Bulking/Cutting (im assuming most people are more interested in the cutting fat rather than the bulking of muscle). AND if you are going to recomend anything more of a supplement over a multivitamin you can usually get some company to sponsor you and get savings by recomending their product, however be VERY careful there where a few trainers who recomended ephedrine based products to their clients because of gym/personal attachments to a company and because of adverse effects of the ephedrine (most noteable death in some cases) the trainer lost more than all their money and served time in jail. I am not trying to scare you off from product recomendation because it can serve as a very good way to increase income but just make sure you know the health status and the supplements you are recomending. Please let us know how the cert goes for you I have found ÏSSA to be a very helpful organization in terms of finding clients, supplement manufacturers and job oppertunities. Good Luck bro but remember to be more conservative in exercise perscription, thus no client will get injured and incrimental increases will be easier for the client as well. Hope everything goes well!

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Good luck with everything! Now remember no matter what you read what has worked for you in person is more important than any information that is "scientifically proven". Just get the cert but remember what has got you to the body you have and the information you have on Bulking/Cutting (im assuming most people are more interested in the cutting fat rather than the bulking of muscle). AND if you are going to recomend anything more of a supplement over a multivitamin you can usually get some company to sponsor you and get savings by recomending their product, however be VERY careful there where a few trainers who recomended ephedrine based products to their clients because of gym/personal attachments to a company and because of adverse effects of the ephedrine (most noteable death in some cases) the trainer lost more than all their money and served time in jail. I am not trying to scare you off from product recomendation because it can serve as a very good way to increase income but just make sure you know the health status and the supplements you are recomending. Please let us know how the cert goes for you I have found ÏSSA to be a very helpful organization in terms of finding clients, supplement manufacturers and job oppertunities. Good Luck bro but remember to be more conservative in exercise perscription, thus no client will get injured and incrimental increases will be easier for the client as well. Hope everything goes well!
Good luck bro, its a fun job no doubt.
thank you both....i'm sure i might be asking questions in the future on this subject. and i know that you guys will be eager to help a brother out.....thx again guys.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
just checking up hows the progress going with the CPT?

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
just checking up hows the progress going with the CPT?
it's going well, i will pass the exam before i go to a class locally to get my CPR and AED cert. i'm learning a lot, some i already knew but some i did not.

slacker86

Awards
  • Established
it's going well, i will pass the exam before i go to a class locally to get my CPR and AED cert. i'm learning a lot, some i already knew but some i did not.
Thats awesome glad to hear it keep up the good work!