Personal Trainers

  1. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Personal Trainers


    Hey there guys, i need some advise from some personal trainers. long story short, i have an opertunity to pick up 5 to 7 clients right away from a friend of mine that is a CEO at a corp. he knows how much i work out and has some 40 somethings that want to get into shape and have someone out line diets for them. i personally would like to become certified. this brings me to mmy question after looking on line for a company that would certify me in being a personal trainer and nutrition i found Personal Trainer Certification, Become A Personal Fitness Trainer, Fitness Certification & Education, Fitness Instructor Certification, Pilates Fitness Certification, Yoga Fitness Certification, Nutrition Certification would this be a good move to make if someone wanted what i described? or is there another company out there that might be better?

  2. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7015
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    I am interested in this as well! So I will sit right here and mooch off the answers >.>
  3. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero V View Post
    I am interested in this as well! So I will sit right here and mooch off the answers >.>
    mooch away
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    futurepilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,217
    Rep Power
    1289
    Level
    35
    Lv. Percent
    54.66%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    tripdog, volcom(something or other) and a few others are trainers. Might do good to PM them and get specifics.
  5. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    bump
  6. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    AS far as just getting certified that will probably be good enough, I am certified through ISSA. One thing you may wanna look into is the Par-Q and other risk assesment forms. Since the age group you are training itself isnt a risk this is probably just being over-cautious on my part, but there are some health risks that may be prevelent in that age group that could result in the need of a doctors approval/medical release form before the clients begin working out. Also do you have insurance? You may want to get a health insurance waiver or something else so in the event something does happen you are not held responsible/liable for any injury. As far as certifications go its really word of mouth and results that get a trainer the money, what I have just mentioned is more along the lines of covering ur ass just in case something where to happen and making sure the individuals looking to be trained are actually healthy enough to undergo a work-out regiment. I hope that helps Good luck with everything!
  7. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker86 View Post
    AS far as just getting certified that will probably be good enough, I am certified through ISSA. One thing you may wanna look into is the Par-Q and other risk assesment forms. Since the age group you are training itself isnt a risk this is probably just being over-cautious on my part, but there are some health risks that may be prevelent in that age group that could result in the need of a doctors approval/medical release form before the clients begin working out. Also do you have insurance? You may want to get a health insurance waiver or something else so in the event something does happen you are not held responsible/liable for any injury. As far as certifications go its really word of mouth and results that get a trainer the money, what I have just mentioned is more along the lines of covering ur ass just in case something where to happen and making sure the individuals looking to be trained are actually healthy enough to undergo a work-out regiment. I hope that helps Good luck with everything!
    ISSA is the school that i'm looking into rightnow. they've just become accedited through the dept of education. how are they in your opinion? how does having that cert. reflect upon your clients? do they even give a crap?
  8. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    this is a link to a par-q form just so you have a reference
    http://www.maxwellfitness.com/forms/Parqform.pdf

    This is the health/history questionaire
    http://www.hr.emory.edu/blomeyer/doc...nnaire2007.pdf

    This is an example of an insurance waiver
    http://www.bodycorepersonaltraining....Risk%20PDF.pdf

    Now The par-q and the medical health/history questionaire are all pretty much the same from state to state.
    To make sure your health insurance waiver is applicable in your state and that it will cover you I would suggest if you have a friend or a lawyer you know quickly look the example over and make sure that it will actually cover you in your states court system and is a legally binding agreement.
  9. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7015
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    ISSA is the school that i'm looking into rightnow. they've just become accedited through the dept of education. how are they in your opinion? how does having that cert. reflect upon your clients? do they even give a crap?
    from what I picked up from asking questions about PT a year ago, it depends on the client. Some clients could care less if you work, some may be a stickler and wanna see that your certified.
  10. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    thank you very much man, it's appreciated........ALOT
  11. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    To be honest the only things my clients care about are the results and the fact that they are talking to someone knowlegeable. I dont think any of my clients know who what when where i was certified and really do not base a lot of importance on the certification itself. The book that shows before and after pics is generally what causes people to choose a trainer. Or word of mouth and such.
  12. Senior Member
    holyintellect's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  295 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,224
    Rep Power
    697
    Level
    26
    Lv. Percent
    56.59%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    I am partners with an IFBB Pro, and we do everything from general fitness to contest prep (our specialty).

    Currently, there are no regulatory agencies that control or license personal training. Certain facilities like to have their trainers certified under different programs. I know several guys making very good money who dont even have a cert....If you are going to be training independantly, you may opt not to get one and go ahead and start training....more often than not though, the trainer can benefit from the training....

    holy
  13. New Member
    Caferacer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  206.5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    273
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    18.52%

    Quote Originally Posted by holyintellect View Post
    I am partners with an IFBB Pro, and we do everything from general fitness to contest prep (our specialty).

    Currently, there are no regulatory agencies that control or license personal training. Certain facilities like to have their trainers certified under different programs. I know several guys making very good money who dont even have a cert....If you are going to be training independantly, you may opt not to get one and go ahead and start training....more often than not though, the trainer can benefit from the training....

    holy
    A few of the more popular accredited PT certs can move from gym to gym. If it is a cert to work at a gym most places have AFAA certified trainers.

    Also, if you are going to be doing PT you need to look into some kind of insurance on top of getting certified; unless it is sort of an under the table deal. If you actually want to start a company or something get insurance.
  14. crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,430
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    55
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker86 View Post
    AS far as just getting certified that will probably be good enough, I am certified through ISSA. One thing you may wanna look into is the Par-Q and other risk assesment forms. Since the age group you are training itself isnt a risk this is probably just being over-cautious on my part, but there are some health risks that may be prevelent in that age group that could result in the need of a doctors approval/medical release form before the clients begin working out. Also do you have insurance? You may want to get a health insurance waiver or something else so in the event something does happen you are not held responsible/liable for any injury. As far as certifications go its really word of mouth and results that get a trainer the money, what I have just mentioned is more along the lines of covering ur ass just in case something where to happen and making sure the individuals looking to be trained are actually healthy enough to undergo a work-out regiment. I hope that helps Good luck with everything!

    im certified through ISSA and SMART (dave palumbos) and also DEFINETLY get trainers insurance,

    from what i know MARKEL INSURANCE CO, accepts SMART, ISSA, and IFA i dont have other certs but markel has all those listed. and its not that expensive it covers you up to 500000 bucks or 1000000 bucks.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,724
    Rep Power
    1317323
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    28.58%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    I have been an NSCA-CPT for 5 years now and I feel as though it is the most applicable to this field. The CSCS requires a BS degree, but is a necessity to become a strength coach for NCAA/pro teams.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
    Performax Labs Product Specialist

  16. Professional Member
    nycste's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  250 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Rep Power
    1692
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    72.6%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    ISSA being with DOE means exactly what? any discounts or hookups if your a teacher or work in the school system? anyone know
  17. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by nycste View Post
    ISSA being with DOE means exactly what? any discounts or hookups if your a teacher or work in the school system? anyone know
    I dont believe that ISSA offers any break for students or anything like that; HOWEVER if you are currently in college most colleges offer some sort of personal training certification program and or a strength and conditioning program. For example when I went to Umass amherst there was ACSM CPT and NSCA strength and conditioning certs, and they offered breaks on prices for students so you may want to check what your college offers and see if there is an associated assosiation that will cut you a break on the prices.
  18. Bananas
    TripDog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,084
    Rep Power
    5553
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    41.79%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I think the easiest way is to do it through ACE. My buddy that is a complete retard passed the test so it cant be that tough lol. I went to NPTI a institute that over a 5 month full time curriculum you get nationally certified meaning no continuing education is ever needed, and is good in all states. It was rather pricey though, I think the ACE exam is rather cheep. Regardless what way you go any cert will hold up, and allow you to do what you want in the long run.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  19. Elite Member
    Zero V's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  163 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    6,286
    Rep Power
    7015
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    27.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    I think the easiest way is to do it through ACE. My buddy that is a complete retard passed the test so it cant be that tough lol. I went to NPTI a institute that over a 5 month full time curriculum you get nationally certified meaning no continuing education is ever needed, and is good in all states. It was rather pricey though, I think the ACE exam is rather cheep. Regardless what way you go any cert will hold up, and allow you to do what you want in the long run.
    Hmmm I think I know my spring/summer plans
  20. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by nycste View Post
    ISSA being with DOE means exactly what? any discounts or hookups if your a teacher or work in the school system? anyone know
    tax right off.........
  21. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    well i did it. i signed up with the ISSA. $500.00 out of my savings but nothing "ventured nothing gained". i'm quite confident that everything will be fine. thank you again for all the responses, i really do appreciate them all.
  22. Bananas
    TripDog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,084
    Rep Power
    5553
    Level
    62
    Lv. Percent
    41.79%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    well i did it. i signed up with the ISSA. $500.00 out of my savings but nothing "ventured nothing gained". i'm quite confident that everything will be fine. thank you again for all the responses, i really do appreciate them all.
    Good luck bro, its a fun job no doubt.
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  23. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    well i did it. i signed up with the ISSA. $500.00 out of my savings but nothing "ventured nothing gained". i'm quite confident that everything will be fine. thank you again for all the responses, i really do appreciate them all.
    Good luck with everything! Now remember no matter what you read what has worked for you in person is more important than any information that is "scientifically proven". Just get the cert but remember what has got you to the body you have and the information you have on Bulking/Cutting (im assuming most people are more interested in the cutting fat rather than the bulking of muscle). AND if you are going to recomend anything more of a supplement over a multivitamin you can usually get some company to sponsor you and get savings by recomending their product, however be VERY careful there where a few trainers who recomended ephedrine based products to their clients because of gym/personal attachments to a company and because of adverse effects of the ephedrine (most noteable death in some cases) the trainer lost more than all their money and served time in jail. I am not trying to scare you off from product recomendation because it can serve as a very good way to increase income but just make sure you know the health status and the supplements you are recomending. Please let us know how the cert goes for you I have found ĪSSA to be a very helpful organization in terms of finding clients, supplement manufacturers and job oppertunities. Good Luck bro but remember to be more conservative in exercise perscription, thus no client will get injured and incrimental increases will be easier for the client as well. Hope everything goes well!
  24. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker86 View Post
    Good luck with everything! Now remember no matter what you read what has worked for you in person is more important than any information that is "scientifically proven". Just get the cert but remember what has got you to the body you have and the information you have on Bulking/Cutting (im assuming most people are more interested in the cutting fat rather than the bulking of muscle). AND if you are going to recomend anything more of a supplement over a multivitamin you can usually get some company to sponsor you and get savings by recomending their product, however be VERY careful there where a few trainers who recomended ephedrine based products to their clients because of gym/personal attachments to a company and because of adverse effects of the ephedrine (most noteable death in some cases) the trainer lost more than all their money and served time in jail. I am not trying to scare you off from product recomendation because it can serve as a very good way to increase income but just make sure you know the health status and the supplements you are recomending. Please let us know how the cert goes for you I have found ĪSSA to be a very helpful organization in terms of finding clients, supplement manufacturers and job oppertunities. Good Luck bro but remember to be more conservative in exercise perscription, thus no client will get injured and incrimental increases will be easier for the client as well. Hope everything goes well!
    Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    Good luck bro, its a fun job no doubt.
    thank you both....i'm sure i might be asking questions in the future on this subject. and i know that you guys will be eager to help a brother out.....thx again guys.
  25. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    just checking up hows the progress going with the CPT?
  26. Professional Member
    lennoxchi's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  235 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,643
    Rep Power
    2370
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    34.14%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by slacker86 View Post
    just checking up hows the progress going with the CPT?
    it's going well, i will pass the exam before i go to a class locally to get my CPR and AED cert. i'm learning a lot, some i already knew but some i did not.
  27. Advanced Member
    slacker86's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    28
    Posts
    838
    Rep Power
    491
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%

    Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    it's going well, i will pass the exam before i go to a class locally to get my CPR and AED cert. i'm learning a lot, some i already knew but some i did not.
    Thats awesome glad to hear it keep up the good work!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. ? 4 personal trainers
    By lennoxchi in forum General Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
  2. any 1 here personal trainers??
    By BIGGUNZ401 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-15-2008, 08:48 PM
  3. Personal Trainers
    By Rivet in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 01:53 PM
  4. personal trainers
    By b dad in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 04:22 PM
  5. personal trainers?
    By b dad in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2007, 12:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in