College in mid 20's??

fst89lx

Awards
I am in great need of advice here, I don't really know how to begin but here it goes.

*Story*

I am currently in my mid 20's and still living at home :( Highschool wasn't good to me and college really didn't appeal to me. I did go to community college for around 2 years but wasn't taking a full load and didn't accomplish much. I have had "decent" jobs before but I left them for one reason or another, now I am in a totally dead end job that pays quite poorly. I agonize about almost anything money related. Due to that I rarely do anything with my friends or even myself anymore. Really other than working out I usually just sit around by myself and worry :(

I am really getting to the point that I just can't take it anymore, I have been thinking about going to college to get a degree so I can get a good job and make something of myself but am I too old? Has anyone here gone back to school later on in life? I mean like for 4 years living on or near campus?

did you find it hard to "fit in"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not going back to socialize, party, etc, but I'd like to meet a few people and make some friends while I'd be there.

Any insight you guys could give me would be very appreciated!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am in great need of advice here, I don't really know how to begin but here it goes.

*Story*

I am currently in my mid 20's and still living at home :( Highschool wasn't good to me and college really didn't appeal to me. I did go to community college for around 2 years but wasn't taking a full load and didn't accomplish much. I have had "decent" jobs before but I left them for one reason or another, now I am in a totally dead end job that pays quite poorly. I agonize about almost anything money related. Due to that I rarely do anything with my friends or even myself anymore. Really other than working out I usually just sit around by myself and worry :(

I am really getting to the point that I just can't take it anymore, I have been thinking about going to college to get a degree so I can get a good job and make something of myself but am I too old? Has anyone here gone back to school later on in life? I mean like for 4 years living on or near campus?

did you find it hard to "fit in"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not going back to socialize, party, etc, but I'd like to meet a few people and make some friends while I'd be there.

Bro its never too late man. I am 22 and stuck at home for awhile thanks to financial issues(severe). I am out of school this quarter, and had to drop last quarter. I am about 3 quarters away from getting my associates. I just need to do it, then 2 more years for my BA, 1 for my masters(actually a 3 year program to do that).

I been in school since 06, crap happens bro. I have had class with 40 year olds. What you do is the same thing we do in the gym. Check your ego at the door, and accomplish what you are there to do. 4 years seems like hell, and like forever right now. But trust me, 2 years in you will be amazed its halfway over.

What are your interests? What would you go back to school for, and where are you at?

fst89lx

Awards
Bro its never too late man. I am 22 and stuck at home for awhile thanks to financial issues(severe). I am out of school this quarter, and had to drop last quarter. I am about 3 quarters away from getting my associates. I just need to do it, then 2 more years for my BA, 1 for my masters(actually a 3 year program to do that).

I been in school since 06, crap happens bro. I have had class with 40 year olds. What you do is the same thing we do in the gym. Check your ego at the door, and accomplish what you are there to do. 4 years seems like hell, and like forever right now. But trust me, 2 years in you will be amazed its halfway over.

What are your interests? What would you go back to school for, and where are you at?

That's my biggest problem. I've never really been able to figure out what I would enjoy doing career-wise. Currently I am thinking about something like exercise science or dietitian. I figure that those would be good choices for me because IMO exercising and trying to eat better has been one of the best things that I've ever done for myself.

I guess I've also got a fear of failing, I'm scared that I've forgotten so much since H.S. and my short stint at C.C. that I'll just be totally lost :(

I'm in MI btw

SpargelJanusz

SpargelJanusz

Awards
  • Established
join the army, fst. The Marines will welcome you with open arms.

warnerve

Awards
  • Established
if you're set in going back, try to figure out what you wanna do within the first year or so, it'll expedite the process and motivate you more as well. If you're in your mid 20s chances are you don't look or act a whole lot different than the younger students so I wouldn't be too worried. If you still feel self conscious, take night classes, there are usually a number of older folks in those. If you're somewhat computer savvy and able to manage your time well, online school is also a good choice.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
join the army, fst. The Marines will welcome you with open arms.
Dont join the military bro. Unless you have a calling to be a soldier( I actually do) you will end up in a rotating hell for 4-8 years depending on your contract, possibly fighting a war you dont even believe in.

If you are unsure go to a the schools near you, talk to the counsolers. Their entire career is to help students find themselves, decide what they want, and go for it. I switched 1 time already. I was going for buisness management minoring in marketing....Switched to teaching minoring in history....thinking I will still go for my teaching, but going to do a sports physiology degree as well, I want to et certified to be a Personal Trainer this year, and by the end of 09 I will be!

I dont plan on taking a course, just studying my butt off, finding the free of cheapo practice tests, and getting ready to take the state test for it. Or I may just take a course, duno.

Point is man. if you arent sure which way to swim, your never going to go nowhere standing on the drydock, jump the hell in. Something will motivate you after that point.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

*Story*

Dude, you really ARE a worrier! I thought I was bad. You can answer your own questions by just going to the campus and hangin' out for a bit. Any four-year college worth its salt will have every adult age group WELL represented, believe me. I've gone to two major schools here in the Bay Area while in my 30s... and there's always been men and women my age (and much older) in my classes, especially in the evening. I earned my teaching credential when I was 33. Most educated adults are lifelong learners, my friend. In most careers, having a BA just doesn't cut it anymore.

You're missing out. As far as I'm concerned... early-20s or mid-20s... what's the f%#king difference? Really. Just go talk to the financial aid department. Don't think... just do. Fill out your FAFSA online and see what free money you qualify for. That will take the edge off in regard to finances. Socially, you're worried for nothing. You'll have plenty of people to socialize with. You'll even meet some pretty cool peeps beyond their 20s. :scared:

C'mon man, if you think this decision to death, you're going to be posting this same question on an internet forum in the year 2019. Of course, if I see it... I'll still get a chuckle out of your concerns over "fitting in" at your age! :laugh: Just make a better life for yourself by furthering your education. A few years from now, you'll laugh at these fears that are presently holding you back.

Seriously... what's the alternative?

Oh, and by the way... my mother became a nurse almost 25 years after graduating high school, and she had no schooling in between. Dude, don't let my mom put you to shame! Consider that a challenge. :hitwithrock:

Best wishes.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Dont join the military bro. Unless you have a calling to be a soldier( I actually do) .
1. What? how can you tell someon you ahve a calling to be a soldier and they dont...?

2. Gotta go off hobbies. I switched majors 3 times. Just now finishing my Associates in Biology to transfer to a 4 year.
I went from Automotive to English to nutrition to exercise science to now, microbiology.

It takes time for sure but you gotta pick 2 or 3 and go from there. My friend spent 3 yrs at a 4 yr. hasnt accomplished anything. has loans to pay. and now is going to come back this summer to go to a community college when i go away...i told him at the start just go to a community college and save the money and time. Ours is top 5 in the US i think, not saying much being a comm. college but none-the less.

Goodluck and keep your mind goign on what you like and enjoy.

tattoopierced1

I had a buddy in his 30's that went back to college and he graduated top of his class.. i say go for it if it is what you want.. hit the books hard, and get a good job.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
1. What? how can you tell someon you ahve a calling to be a soldier and they dont...?
I didnt say he did or didnt. I guess the way I intended it to come out is dont do it unless its your calling. But if it was, he would have already done it.

I would say 60% of Americas soldiers today were meant to be soldiers. The other yahoos joined for college, or money, or some other dumb reason. And it is why our military has become panzified in training now.

Just because you join a military branch does not make you a soldier to me, I see cowards and fools go in, and come out the same. Or their capabilities in combat are incredibly lousy, and they would only serve to get their comrades killed.

If you have a calling for it you will be naturally fluid in movements and strikes, feel natural with a weapon, have a strong drive to be able to embrace death as a soldier as being given a death worthy of a man, and be willing to miss out on all of the finer points of life you would have to for 4-8 years, maybe a lifetime if you go career with it.

I meet so many soldiers who do nothing but complain, whine, and I know more civilians that could beat em in a fight(meh included) and shoot better than them.

For example. I know a husband and wife from church who are joining the air guard because of a huge sign on bonus of like 20K or something. Then they argued with them because they had 2 differant jobs to get the same jobs and same training times...the girl was an MP(at 100 lbs she wouldnt do craap as an MP) but switched when she realized she could be deployed. and now they have the same MOS, same training times, etc.

They make me want to puke, or shoot them myselves because that is not what a soldier is. They didnt think they could take the time apart, and they believe 100% they will never see a warzone. Do you think they have a calling for it? Heck no. War was made to strengthen a peoples, looking at panzified America, we are lacking in good wars.

Sry for the rant...people complain when soldiers dont get all the respect they should. If you have seen foreign soil, or been in war, or had to sacrifice, yeah. God Bless you and I hope your greatest dreams come true. But for the panzies that just want the money and uniform, they better hope they ditch when we have a revolution because, they wont last long.

I have been through basic, it is hard as hell, but every year now I hear about how much easier it is. I mean hell some training posts have friggin Yellow Stress cards for people to get the Drill Sergeant or Drill Instructor off them for a few. They are now being allowed to wear tennis shoes for the first 3 weeks of training, and other stuff. The wife I spoke of gets a full hour to eat...

If America ever goes into a big war....we will fail because those are our military standards now. A DI cant even crack your head open anymore if your retarded...Russia, China, Britain, Germany. They have zero crap policies. America? Heck I am suprised we dont have McDonals for your food line in basic yet.

Every one joins on the hopes they wont leave America. Men used to join, and have to march or months to reach a battle, fight for months, march for months back if they didnt die. So they would see their family in 3 years, for about 2 months, then leave again.

Today that is waay to much for people to bare...considering we also have letters, phones, internet, etc communications....panzies.

This is why you should have a calling to do it. Too many wannabes get in, and find out this is not a game. Geeze....

Ok Rant over.

Back to college ^.^ and btw that is all IMO but ask a marine are active army soldier about the failing standards... I am sure a few of them on here can relate to some of the people getting pumped through.

mytime09

mytime09

Awards
as bad it is zero does have a point to what hes saying. too manny wannabes that see **** in video game and think "damn thats cool i wanna do it"..yeahh nothing like real life. but getting back to the education i think you should go back man. Having a bachelors degree is worth it and theres so many people in there mid 20's now in college it wouldnt make a difference. I would say get an apartment near a college your looking at and try to get roomates that will be attending the college too. that way its almost a gurantee you can make friends. good luck bro.

fst89lx

Awards
Wow lots of responses!

Rubberring, The worrying thing is pretty bad. I don't even know if this is possible but its like every few months I fall into what feels like severe depression (not to the suicidal level!) where the smallest thing will set me off. For example I could make a simple mistake at work, no biggie but all of the sudden I'm just having all of these awful thoughts for days/weeks at a time. Thoughts like how in the hell could i mess that up, and that I'm a loser because I still live at home, and I'm broke etc. What is the worst is that I was NEVER like this until my financial situation got really bad, then it all came down like a ton of bricks. I am sick of it and want it to change so that's why I'm doing this.

Honestly I have thought of the military, and attempted to talk to my parents about it but My mother has begged me to go to school instead. Mainly because a friend from back in HS was KIA in Iraq.

I'm gonna look through the course offerings and see if there is anything else that sparks my interest other than ex science & dietetics.

I'm debating on commuting or getting an apt near campus. I haven't worked the math yet but I'm sure it will be cheaper to commute ~45 minutes each way to the school that is closest to me that offers what I'm interested in. On the other hand, I'm thinking that getting an apt near campus would be smart because if I need help with my classes, I'm right there to talk to my teachers, other students in my classes, tutors etc (yes I know I could use a phone or email but I communicate more effectively face to face).

I'm not sure on a roommate, it would help a lot with the costs and be a easy way to hopefully make a friend, but I like the idea of a place to myself.

I really appreciate the responses guys its all motivation and I need it!!

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
Go back for sure man. Someone said above...use your first year and figure out what you'd like. Use the career services department. It's NEVER too late. As for the age thing I wouln't sweat that at all. You're not that old lol. I graduated college when I was 23. Took my time with 5 and a half yrs :bandit: and I got two degrees out of it. Unfortunately they are not related at all (business and Physical Therapist Assistant). I'd have to bust my ass if I wanted to go back to PTA right now. I would have to start over again with studying and what not. Not even worth it anymore IMO.

I'm 26 now and not ruling out going back for a masters in SOMETHING one day. Hell man, what I'm doing now is NOT what I will be doing forever. Anymore, unless you get a masters or further, a bachelors degree (and the grades the accompany it) just show that you're able to learn and apply what you learn. I learned crap about business in my business classes lol, and I payed attention and finished with a 3.8 GPA.

I got off topic there lol...besides...I'm SURE there will be plenty of honey's there your age in graduate classes...HIT IT UP!

BurghHardcore

Awards
  • Established
I would also try to stay near campus if it is AT ALL possible for you. You would be saving a couple hundred on gas every month. If you're close enough you would rarely have to use your car for anything. The college will have access to pretty much anything you need. Library, food, internet and PC's, gym membership is FREE. Anyway man...how are you going to lay it down on those graduate school females living 45min. away???

Liquid13

Liquid13

Awards
  • Established
I'm newly 23 and still living at home going to school. I have about 6-8 more years ahead of me until I'm done too. If school is what you think you want and need, then definitely go get it done! As previously stated, there are ppl of all ages in the courses I have taken. If you're in your mid 20's you will still fit in like a pair of adidas.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I'm newly 23 and still living at home going to school. I have about 6-8 more years ahead of me until I'm done too. If school is what you think you want and need, then definitely go get it done! As previously stated, there are ppl of all ages in the courses I have taken. If you're in your mid 20's you will still fit in like a pair of adidas.
In this economy its becoming more and more common to stay with parents until almost 25 in order to make it through school anymore. At first I hated life because I was suck here, now I realize about 1/4th people I meet are in the same situation. It also helps due to my financial crisis, i cant get kicked out for missing rent when I am late on bills.

If you are ever feeling really depressed man, send me a PM, call me up, we talk. I sometimes throw down some weird posts on the forum, but if its time to talk a person through crap, its time to do so.

Just start school. It will be a process, it will suck a little. But man, if you dont start it now, 2 years from now you will still be talking about going back to school. DO IT, you have nothing to lose. If its money issues, dont worry about student loans. Every one owes those things. Take life by the balls, put some weight on your shoulders that actually belongs to you for once, dig in and push forward.

College is filled with many many people in their 30's, 40's, and a few 50's i have seen. Education never ends. I will probably constantly take classes for enjoyment when I am in my late 20's (I should have my master to teach by 26). You will be surprised how much in improves your life all round. New friends, maybe some cute girls, some good networking you may find a good job, a new opportunity. Anything is possible, unless you sit still.

dynomite

dynomite

Banned
Awards
  • Established
there are old people in college classes bro. All kinds of people. Thats what is great about college. Everybody is figuring themselves out and very very open.

No excuses! Do what you got to do to reach your goals man whether that mean joining the military, going to school, or gettting certified as a personal trainer. Whatever it takes, just do it.

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rubberring, The worrying thing is pretty bad. I don't even know if this is possible but its like every few months I fall into what feels like severe depression (not to the suicidal level!) where the smallest thing will set me off. For example I could make a simple mistake at work, no biggie but all of the sudden I'm just having all of these awful thoughts for days/weeks at a time. Thoughts like how in the hell could i mess that up, and that I'm a loser because I still live at home, and I'm broke etc. What is the worst is that I was NEVER like this until my financial situation got really bad, then it all came down like a ton of bricks. I am sick of it and want it to change so that's why I'm doing this.
Here's some more advice, and I mean this wholeheartedly... get some counseling. Suffering from something like generalized anxiety disorder or bipolar disorder (which greatly resembles the pattern you described) is no joke. Don't just suffer in silence, and do not think talking to a professional makes you weak either. A real man knows when to ask for help. Don't let money or ego get in the way of sorting this stuff out. I speak from experience.

Now... get to the admissions office, d#@khead. :fing02:

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Here's some more advice, and I mean this wholeheartedly... get some counseling. Suffering from something like generalized anxiety disorder or bipolar disorder (which greatly resembles the pattern you described) is no joke. Don't just suffer in silence, and do not think talking to a professional makes you weak either. A real man knows when to ask for help. Don't let money or ego get in the way of sorting this stuff out. I speak from experience.

Now... get to the admissions office, d#@khead. :fing02:
I went to a psychologist for about....6-8 months back in 06. Didnt cost me anything cuz I didnt have money(still dont).

I learned alot. I still remember the man, I remember that final hand shake as I walked out into the sunlight with a new understand and lease on life. It was before my and my ex got together, but she had already started screwing things up LOL. Not why I went though...there was a few other reasons.

Check and see if your local has a ADAM H program. That is what covered my costs. Its meant so that people dont have to suffer. Guess the gov't did one thing right.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
FST

IF it is any conciliation I am 39 years ago and have gone back to college. I started in 2008 having to do 11 class for an AA degree. My wife encouraged me to go. I went to college out of high school but got bored with it and I didn't want to be couped up in a class room learning mundane things. It took me living life for a while and someone explaining to me what a counselor couldn' to get me going again.

My wife told me to just get an AA degree an liberal arts. What I learned is even if you don't know what you wanna do in life for a career just do a liberal arts degree because just having a degree will get you more money.

I decided that if I went back I wanted to do something that would be fun for me and a good learning tool. So, I took introduction to computers. That proved to be valuable for me. I learned the whole Office suite and it was not easy but I learned. Ironic because 9 months later my job was transferred to another company and I ended up transferring to a data entry job with my same company which requires computer experience. It was the only job of a few available for day shift.

If you do not know what you wanna do in going to college just keep it simple otherwise you will not be motivated at all. Keep it simple, take something you like in order to stimulate you for the next class. The whole time just dabble with things.

You may also want to consider trade school as well. I have thought about this myself in addition to college. There is a school next to the college I go to.
Just don't overwhelm yourself with it.

fst89lx

Awards
Thanks again everyone for the advice and kind words. It is very good to hear about all of the people who have been in the same boat and that it really doesn't seem to be as much of a mountain as I make it out to be.

Guess its time to get myself some course description catalogs and financial aid info! I also decided that I'd like to get a personal trainer cert before summer is over, hopefully I could use that to get a job while I'd be at school!

plenny

plenny

Awards
  • Established
I didnt say he did or didnt. I guess the way I intended it to come out is dont do it unless its your calling. But if it was, he would have already done it.

I would say 60% of Americas soldiers today were meant to be soldiers. The other yahoos joined for college, or money, or some other dumb reason. And it is why our military has become panzified in training now.

Just because you join a military branch does not make you a soldier to me, I see cowards and fools go in, and come out the same. Or their capabilities in combat are incredibly lousy, and they would only serve to get their comrades killed.

If you have a calling for it you will be naturally fluid in movements and strikes, feel natural with a weapon, have a strong drive to be able to embrace death as a soldier as being given a death worthy of a man, and be willing to miss out on all of the finer points of life you would have to for 4-8 years, maybe a lifetime if you go career with it.

I meet so many soldiers who do nothing but complain, whine, and I know more civilians that could beat em in a fight(meh included) and shoot better than them.

For example. I know a husband and wife from church who are joining the air guard because of a huge sign on bonus of like 20K or something. Then they argued with them because they had 2 differant jobs to get the same jobs and same training times...the girl was an MP(at 100 lbs she wouldnt do craap as an MP) but switched when she realized she could be deployed. and now they have the same MOS, same training times, etc.

They make me want to puke, or shoot them myselves because that is not what a soldier is. They didnt think they could take the time apart, and they believe 100% they will never see a warzone. Do you think they have a calling for it? Heck no. War was made to strengthen a peoples, looking at panzified America, we are lacking in good wars.

Sry for the rant...people complain when soldiers dont get all the respect they should. If you have seen foreign soil, or been in war, or had to sacrifice, yeah. God Bless you and I hope your greatest dreams come true. But for the panzies that just want the money and uniform, they better hope they ditch when we have a revolution because, they wont last long.

I have been through basic, it is hard as hell, but every year now I hear about how much easier it is. I mean hell some training posts have friggin Yellow Stress cards for people to get the Drill Sergeant or Drill Instructor off them for a few. They are now being allowed to wear tennis shoes for the first 3 weeks of training, and other stuff. The wife I spoke of gets a full hour to eat...

If America ever goes into a big war....we will fail because those are our military standards now. A DI cant even crack your head open anymore if your retarded...Russia, China, Britain, Germany. They have zero crap policies. America? Heck I am suprised we dont have McDonals for your food line in basic yet.

Every one joins on the hopes they wont leave America. Men used to join, and have to march or months to reach a battle, fight for months, march for months back if they didnt die. So they would see their family in 3 years, for about 2 months, then leave again.

Today that is waay to much for people to bare...considering we also have letters, phones, internet, etc communications....panzies.

This is why you should have a calling to do it. Too many wannabes get in, and find out this is not a game. Geeze....

Ok Rant over.

Back to college ^.^ and btw that is all IMO but ask a marine are active army soldier about the failing standards... I am sure a few of them on here can relate to some of the people getting pumped through.
as a former usaf vet (4 yrs).. i can say i met alot of ppl who joined either to escape poverty or for educational or financial gain..they are very selfish reasons to join any military branch. i myself wanted to serve my country and challenge myself and perhaps learn a new trade....yeras after i got out i took advantage of the gi bill and earned an associates degree in business admin...i was 31 when i graduated college...i am with my current employer for alomost 10yrs now and am being considered for a higher position..they sent me to leadership/management training..its only a matter of time now...also, i may consider going back part-time for my bachlor's degree if all else fails...bottom line...if you want something..GO FOR IT!!! it wont fall on your lap.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
as a former usaf vet (4 yrs).. i can say i met alot of ppl who joined either to escape poverty or for educational or financial gain..they are very selfish reasons to join any military branch. i myself wanted to serve my country and challenge myself and perhaps learn a new trade....yeras after i got out i took advantage of the gi bill and earned an associates degree in business admin...i was 31 when i graduated college...i am with my current employer for alomost 10yrs now and am being considered for a higher position..they sent me to leadership/management training..its only a matter of time now...also, i may consider going back part-time for my bachlor's degree if all else fails...bottom line...if you want something..GO FOR IT!!! it wont fall on your lap.
I respect you bro for being someone who goes in with the purpose to serve and test your merit as a man. If I could I would solute you, even if you were only a NCO :D

And joining the military right now, with America looking like its going to end up in a civil war....not so good an idear lol.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
living at home while you're going to college at the age of 22??? you suck.....

jk :) !!!

im 23 and just recently moved out of my parents because i graduated college. my hubby is 25 and only moved out bc he got married to me. its so common to stay home with the parents while in school. its a smart move. why pay rent if you can bum of mom and dad (for a school reasons!)?

college is definitely worth it. i absolutely hated school. now that i am out (its only been 10 months), it is definitely WORTH IT. i know many people that never went/completed college and most are struggling.

life is not about money, but money allows you the freedom to enjoy life. i was previously a waitress during college and let me tell you, life is soo much better. i now get paid much more and work much less. the work is less difficult as well. it does not get any better than that!

Get your butt back in school! ;)

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
been awhile since I have seen you around Mrs. Gimpy. Good advice though

I wish so much I could leave this place :frustrate :frustrate moving out is my dream.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
been awhile since I have seen you around Mrs. Gimpy. Good advice though

I wish so much I could leave this place :frustrate :frustrate moving out is my dream.
you will leave eventually. by staying at home you are able to keep loans to a minimum, which makes it nice once you have graduated college due to less bills.

i pop in here and there, but i've just been insanely busy. i used to keep up with alot of politics and news and fitness stuff, but i have put all of it on the back burner temporarily due to my new house and all of the new house construction/fixing up stuff.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
you will leave eventually. by staying at home you are able to keep loans to a minimum, which makes it nice once you have graduated college due to less bills.

i pop in here and there, but i've just been insanely busy. i used to keep up with alot of politics and news and fitness stuff, but i have put all of it on the back burner temporarily due to my new house and all of the new house construction/fixing up stuff.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8
Debt is already a major issue for me....its why I am stuck here.

AmericnMuscle

Banned
Awards
I'm glad I'm not the only person thinking about going to college at what seems to be a rather late age.

Good luck to you!

spres444

spres444

Awards
  • Established
im with you OP on this subject..im 21 now, I went to a state school for 2 years..and did nothing but waste money, sell drugs, do drugs, and nothing else..nothing..

All my firends are still in school and im stuck at a dead end job as well.. im getting real fed up with life as of late because **** just seems to be comming down ( girl left me, job sucks, just busy, not enough social interaction that I want). I dont have ANY credits for the years I was at school, I never went to class.

Now that I have been working for the last 9 months at a job where their are gonna be no promotions and all the people that work here are going no where..Im gonna start back at school up this summer and work my fukin ass off to get what I want.. I suggest you do the same dude fuk what other ages peopel are..you can just hit on the freshman and youll be old enough to buy them alcohol :)

Cinn

Cinn

Awards

I always find it funny when someone makes comments like this. The "non-panzified" military performances that you keep alluding to in which ground pounders charge in and defeat the evil fascists a la WWII were made by what were mostly draftees.

Our military has historically been largely populated by people that were either drafted(in war time) or needed a job.

alkaline1968

alkaline1968

Awards
Bro, I'll tell you first hand my experience,
I graduated highschool, hung around the town I grew up in for about a yr after, then decided to move to california ( I grew up in Metro Detroit). After a stint there I traveled all over the U.S. immersing myself into many sub-cultures and demographics of people. I could go on and on about all mental developments and benefits that I as an individual went through but I'll save you the introspective rhetoric.
Anyhow I ended up moving back to Michigan around 21 worked as a help-desk tech for an IT company for about 2 years; I quit because cubicle work plain ass sucks.
I went back to serving tables something I had did in my teens and something of which I thought I'd never have to do. I served tables for another 4 months until I got into the Insurance industry something of which treated me very well. For the next 4 years thats what I did killing it, living large, hanging at 5 star hotels, associating with elitists blah blah blah again I could go on forever about the pretensious lifestyle that sometimes money catapults you into, but allow me to get to my point.
I was 26 almost 27 and realized that all this money i was making with out an education could be stripped from me if anything were to ever happen to my job. There would be noway I'd be able to jump paralell to another profession and earn what I was earning, so to be honest I went to a junior college at 26 1/2 with absolutley NO CREDITS I stopped working and fortunatley because I'd busted my ass for the previous 4 yrs I had a residual income that I relied on that kept me afloat, by no means at all did it provide me the same life style I was living though. For 2 yrs the adjustment to struggling in every facet of life that was so abundant in luxurys previous to was very very hard Im not going to lie but you adapt and adjust.
I finished up the maximum amount of credits at the junior college level in order to transfer to a university and thats exactly what I did; I tranfered to a University while persuing a Bachelors degree as a double major Political Science concentration.
I am now 30 yrs old with 2 semesters left and couldnt tell you how freaking relieved I am to almost be done.
One of my favorite quotes of all time come from a man named -Paulo Freire

"education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world"

One thing my Grandma who is 90 yrs old like freakin yoda-old ya know, that put things into perspective for me when I first started was she said after I had projected that I'd be 30 yrs old when I graduate from college in a discouraging tone " Ya know your going to be 30 anyways you might as well be 30 and have a degree, its better than being 30 and not having one".

I hope that you may draw from my experience and insight and that it at least provides a template of hope and if not, best of luck in figuring out what it is that you need to do.
Best regards...

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Alkaline, Bravo bro. Good bit of info, and a good point made by your grandmother! and Kudos to almost being done.

to Cinn. The average man was way different back then than they are today. Hard work was a way of life, today...office work turns people into fluffy shadows of a man. Save for the few who decide to put the extra effort into their body and mind.

Cinn

Cinn

Awards
Alkaline, Bravo bro. Good bit of info, and a good point made by your grandmother! and Kudos to almost being done.

to Cinn. The average man was way different back then than they are today. Hard work was a way of life, today...office work turns people into fluffy shadows of a man. Save for the few who decide to put the extra effort into their body and mind.

That's just silly. People being drafted were everything from construction workers to underwater basket weavers. It didn't make them any less qualified as a soldier because they didn't volunteer and it doesn't make anyone less qualified now when they join for the GI bill. Everyone is scared and unprepared when it comes to actual war. The ones that preach about noble reasons to join and how someone else is less of a soldier because they need college money are usually the ones that have never been in or are pogues.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
That's just silly. People being drafted were everything from construction workers to underwater basket weavers. It didn't make them any less qualified as a soldier because they didn't volunteer and it doesn't make anyone less qualified now when they join for the GI bill. Everyone is scared and unprepared when it comes to actual war. The ones that preach about noble reasons to join and how someone else is less of a soldier because they need college money are usually the ones that have never been in or are pogues.
The boot camps were different back then too. Today....too much slack, I mean hell the DS or DI cant even touch the privates no more....is it still hard, yeah, is it hardcore....eh. They let them have tennis shoes, there are certain people who get stress cards, every one has a dang waver for something. I have one buddy who has stress fractures he got halfway through basic, but went straight through and got it taken care of afterwards. Most of these peeps run at any chance to medical to get any waver they can.

The marines still have a good setup though. (hurts, because I was army >.<). From what I can tell they are just now starting to get dumbed down like the other branches have been. But still enough to be over the edge. No one joins the marines without expecting to fight.

Half the army is overweight.... and out of shape. I was at a unit where half the NCOs had wavers to pass over PT tests...

but I believe everyone who joins(in a time of war) should see war. considering the people I know joined because they were promised they would never see it or have to worry about fighting.... air guard.....right. I dont mind the GI bill, i believe it is a great way for soldiers to get a payment for their duties!

I just dont believe useless meat bags should sit here in the US at home doing nothing but getting a 30K sign on bonus while marines get nothing of the sort but are constantly deployed....

too many white collar workers anymore.

BTW it is pogues that tick me off, and why I have these issues. Though obviously someone needs to stay behind in the base, or here in the states....i actually just hate the people who join specifically seeking that role.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Another thing about going back to college that is great, is it is happeneing so often now that people in their late 20's, 30's, or even 40's are going back that many colleges have class schedules that allow people to go who already have a family and job.

Its geared nowadays to help you find success even if you didnt do it right out of HS.

fst89lx

Awards
Bro, I'll tell you first hand my experience,
I graduated highschool, hung around the town I grew up in for about a yr after, then decided to move to california ( I grew up in Metro Detroit). After a stint there I traveled all over the U.S. immersing myself into many sub-cultures and demographics of people. I could go on and on about all mental developments and benefits that I as an individual went through but I'll save you the introspective rhetoric.
Anyhow I ended up moving back to Michigan around 21 worked as a help-desk tech for an IT company for about 2 years; I quit because cubicle work plain ass sucks.
I went back to serving tables something I had did in my teens and something of which I thought I'd never have to do. I served tables for another 4 months until I got into the Insurance industry something of which treated me very well. For the next 4 years thats what I did killing it, living large, hanging at 5 star hotels, associating with elitists blah blah blah again I could go on forever about the pretensious lifestyle that sometimes money catapults you into, but allow me to get to my point.
I was 26 almost 27 and realized that all this money i was making with out an education could be stripped from me if anything were to ever happen to my job. There would be noway I'd be able to jump paralell to another profession and earn what I was earning, so to be honest I went to a junior college at 26 1/2 with absolutley NO CREDITS I stopped working and fortunatley because I'd busted my ass for the previous 4 yrs I had a residual income that I relied on that kept me afloat, by no means at all did it provide me the same life style I was living though. For 2 yrs the adjustment to struggling in every facet of life that was so abundant in luxurys previous to was very very hard Im not going to lie but you adapt and adjust.
I finished up the maximum amount of credits at the junior college level in order to transfer to a university and thats exactly what I did; I tranfered to a University while persuing a Bachelors degree as a double major Political Science concentration.
I am now 30 yrs old with 2 semesters left and couldnt tell you how freaking relieved I am to almost be done.
One of my favorite quotes of all time come from a man named -Paulo Freire

"education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world"

One thing my Grandma who is 90 yrs old like freakin yoda-old ya know, that put things into perspective for me when I first started was she said after I had projected that I'd be 30 yrs old when I graduate from college in a discouraging tone " Ya know your going to be 30 anyways you might as well be 30 and have a degree, its better than being 30 and not having one".

I hope that you may draw from my experience and insight and that it at least provides a template of hope and if not, best of luck in figuring out what it is that you need to do.
Best regards...

Great post man! I love what your grandma told you! I honestly hadn't even thought about it like that, I was just so mad/depressed about my age that something like that didn't even cross my mind.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
go to college, but get a job near campus in a social environment (bartender, sometihng like that) it will give you immediate social value and a crew of usually cooler and older than average people to be around

there will be grad students your age, but most will be complete dorks

Clickster

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I waited a year after high school and then went to college.

The first thing you will notice is that it is NOTHING like high school. The second thing you will notice is that most people in the classes or at most campuses don't socialize much at all. Unless you are staying at dorms and partying.

I went to a school close to home so I would go home right after class. This was good for me because I goofed off in classes in high school due to buddies.

You don't want many buddies in college. I find them to be more of a distraction than anything.

I have some people in my classes that are in their mid 50's. Nobody at college cares about your age, what you wear, or what you look like. For the most part it is very mature.

--This is all taken from the college I attend. ( Kent State University) in Ohio.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I waited a year after high school and then went to college.

The first thing you will notice is that it is NOTHING like high school. The second thing you will notice is that most people in the classes or at most campuses don't socialize much at all. Unless you are staying at dorms and partying.

I went to a school close to home so I would go home right after class. This was good for me because I goofed off in classes in high school due to buddies.

You don't want many buddies in college. I find them to be more of a distraction than anything.

I have some people in my classes that are in their mid 50's. Nobody at college cares about your age, what you wear, or what you look like. For the most part it is very mature.

--This is all taken from the college I attend. ( Kent State University) in Ohio.
I have a buddy who makes trips to Kent for fun lol. Were in Groveport.