personal training

purelife1

just curious how many of u work as personal trainers..i did for several years but stopped for another job im considering going back into and getting recertified for at least a part time job... my company i work for now is tight with overtime and money..just curious if people are still making good money at it these days

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
depends on where you go and what you define as good.....

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I am looking into getting certified myself(after I finish rebuilding my body from STUPID IGNORANT INFECTIONS!!!!!!!!) sry.... lol

I know around here the starting pay if you work for a gym is about 18-24 an hour not sure how much you walk away with. If you do freelance the average is 20-30 an hour(more based off of experience,etc) All I know is it might suck at first, but once you have a few satisfied clients is when things seem to take off. Word of mouth beats alllll other forms of advertisement.

I would like to make being a PT my full time job through college. As long as I get a meager 25-30K a year im ok right now...(considering once I graduate I only make 30-35K starting out as a teacher :( )

Best bet is to talk to some of your local gyms, search online in your area for PTs and do price checks to get an idea of whats going on.

I have an inside connection at the moment thanks to a friend with a lady who doesnt even are if I am certified. She wants people who KNOW what they are doing, an she said every certified person she has used was retarded and it seems the people who are in this for themselves as a lifestyle, not a profession, make better trainers.

I may call her soon since my roofing thing aint the best with no storms around :\

Where do you live at? Network man, networking does more for you than a golden resume....

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
most chian gyms pay an hourly or half hourly wage only when you have seesions....the guys at my la fitness get paid 6 bux for a half an hour session....so theoretically they can make 12 bucks an hour....but they are mostly working 12-14 hour days trying to get 8 hours worth of sessions.....

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
most chian gyms pay an hourly or half hourly wage only when you have seesions....the guys at my la fitness get paid 6 bux for a half an hour session....so theoretically they can make 12 bucks an hour....but they are mostly working 12-14 hour days trying to get 8 hours worth of sessions.....
That is a complete rip off. I mean the gym is charging 20-30 an hour, and they make 12.... That is why I wont work for a gym. I mean hell, my rec center pays their workers 11 bucks an hour who sit there and clean benches and switch out spray bottles.

Do it on your own, or for a group. I have found that married women, and stay at home moms are one way to make some good money. I have 2 women from church who I did 10 piece circuits for, and they got results in like 1-2 weeks they were happy. I did it for free(they are my church family) but that is when I realized how really just using knowledge can be an income.

And technically, you dont NEED certified to be a PT unless your an actual gym employee(at leas not in Ohio), but it helps on the resume if you dont know someone. You do have to look the part though. You cant have a gut, and tell a new mommy you can help her lose weight and get back in shape...

But there is something so satisfying about seeing someone happy with the results, and happy with themselves. It is more gratifying than paperwork or tossing boxes.

purelife1

again it depends it would not be wise for $8-10 hour..that sucks 3 years ago i free lanced for Golds paid $600 month for basically rental space and and only working part time with around 12-15 clients cleared around $9-1200 week after paying my $$$ to golds...average price here is $35-45 hour..i also worked for another gym and i charged $35 hour and i kept 75% so i still brought home around $1000 week before i paid taxes but worked no more then 40 hours week..

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
again it depends it would not be wise for $8-10 hour..that sucks 3 years ago i free lanced for Golds paid $600 month for basically rental space and and only working part time with around 12-15 clients cleared around $9-1200 week after paying my $$$ to golds...average price here is $35-45 hour..i also worked for another gym and i charged $35 hour and i kept 75% so i still brought home around $1000 week before i paid taxes but worked no more then 40 hours week..
where be you? Prices kinda depend on state and area. I have seen some PT that cost up to 100$ an hour.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
central florida
They pays better there than Ohio :(

Then again you live in probably one of the most Tool populated areas lol. Guess the extra pay is to deal with retards. (I would probably go crazy at gyms in Cali...)

purelife1

They pays better there than Ohio :(

Then again you live in probably one of the most Tool populated areas lol. Guess the extra pay is to deal with retards. (I would probably go crazy at gyms in Cali...)
yes u have to find ways to make it work for u..many times when i had female clients who couldnt afford it i had them get 1-2 freinds and i would train them together $15 each per session with 3 of them im still getting my $45 more work for me to figure out 3 of them but keeps the $$$ coming plus the better u do with them they send thier freinds to u as well... i would also take insurance cases..u may also want to check with local doctors or chiropracts they will also send patients to you and thier insurance will flip the bill

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
yes u have to find ways to make it work for u..many times when i had female clients who couldnt afford it i had them get 1-2 freinds and i would train them together $15 each per session with 3 of them im still getting my $45 more work for me to figure out 3 of them but keeps the $$$ coming plus the better u do with them they send thier freinds to u as well... i would also take insurance cases..u may also want to check with local doctors or chiropracts they will also send patients to you and thier insurance will flip the bill
I thought about that, cheaper sessions but in small groups. Nice idea on the insurance patients as well. I talk to people cold turkey as is about outside and inside damage and restoration. Switching it up to bodies aint too bad lol.