Skydiving

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to try this summer. Can anyone tell me their experiences?

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
Went the summer of 2006 when I graduated college. Did a tandem jump (with an instructor strapped to your back) with a couple girls from work. It was pretty awesome. Definitely a killer adrenaline rush.

Personally I'm not a fan of heights. They don't make me panic or anything, I'm just not a fan. But cruising up to 11,000 ft in a tiny plane with barely enough room for the pilot, instructer, and myself was no problem.

The fall feels like you're floating. The chute opening is a little jarring. And the 5-6 minutes glide down is amazing. It's well worth it.

I'm going again in May out in Colorado with the little lady and her family. Highly recommended, but I'd make sure you ask the jump record of the place you're going with. And demand to know how experienced their instructors are. They are legally required to report how many deaths/major injuries they have sustained over the past.

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
um....

my thing on this is...
why tempt god? I've not exactly been a saint.

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
I have 137 jumps, aside from bodybuilding it is by far the most fun sport/experience I have ever had. Awesome sport!! Here's a video we did about 2 years ago of me and 2 buds just messin around. Do it man, you'll love it. I've got the orange shirt and red helmet. Enjoy.
YouTube - 3-way train skydive

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
um....

my thing on this is...
why tempt god? I've not exactly been a saint.
None of us are saints. Personally though, you are more likely to die from crossing the street in New York than skydiving -.- lol.

I would love to do it!

natty texan

natty texan

Awards
  • Established
None of us are saints. Personally though, you are more likely to die from crossing the street in New York than skydiving -.- lol.

I would love to do it!
i'm very lucky i don't live in new york :D

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I might given the right opportunity and motivation.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Only experience is jumping out of a plane using a static line. it's a hell of a rush though.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Went the summer of 2006 when I graduated college. Did a tandem jump (with an instructor strapped to your back) with a couple girls from work. It was pretty awesome. Definitely a killer adrenaline rush.

Personally I'm not a fan of heights. They don't make me panic or anything, I'm just not a fan. But cruising up to 11,000 ft in a tiny plane with barely enough room for the pilot, instructer, and myself was no problem.

The fall feels like you're floating. The chute opening is a little jarring. And the 5-6 minutes glide down is amazing. It's well worth it.

I'm going again in May out in Colorado with the little lady and her family. Highly recommended, but I'd make sure you ask the jump record of the place you're going with. And demand to know how experienced their instructors are. They are legally required to report how many deaths/major injuries they have sustained over the past.
Great info. I"ve never liked heights, but something about jumping out of a plane doesn't scare me. Call me crazy!

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Only experience is jumping out of a plane using a static line. it's a hell of a rush though.
I've heard that can be more dangerous than doing a regular jump... do you believe this is true?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's more dangerous in that particular setting I was in for a few reasons...

More people leaving the craft and more people in the air adds to increased risk of hitting each other

Less control over these types of chutes

Smaller chute and added weight from equipment lends to a much harder landing

Carrying rucksacks, weapons etc add to possible injuries

You typically jump at less than 2000 feet which means you have less time to recover from chute deployment malfunctions.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
It's more dangerous in that particular setting I was in for a few reasons...

More people leaving the craft and more people in the air adds to increased risk of hitting each other

Less control over these types of chutes

Smaller chute and added weight from equipment lends to a much harder landing

Carrying rucksacks, weapons etc add to possible injuries

You typically jump at less than 2000 feet which means you have less time to recover from chute deployment malfunctions.
Gotcha. I know they only do the static jumps in the military, so I suppose I don't have to worry about that sort of thing.

Do you guys think it's true with the height fear not effecting a jump?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I did one solo jump a couple years ago. It was fun, and I would do it over just to say I did it. I have to say I didn't get the rush I was hoping for...and probably won't pay to do it again.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most people I jumped with were afraid of heights. I don't believe it affected them too much. So much going on you don't have time to really dwell on it. Only saw one refusal to jump during my stint in the 82d.

manny1010

Awards
  • Established
I've never done it, looking forward to trying it out some day.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
I think theres a place here in Wisconsin that lets you do Tandem or Static Line actually... cause i thought static line would be cool as hell floating all the way down

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Static line jumps just mean the chutes are deployed by a line and not manually by the jumper. They rip form the chute once it's open.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Static line jumps just mean the chutes are deployed by a line and not manually by the jumper. They rip form the chute once it's open.
I know :) Thats what i mean though, I think it would be cool as hell to float all the way down and enjoy it rather than freefall... but id like to do both.

They dont really give Marines opportunities to take airborne, and if you do get it offered its usually part of a re-enlistment package

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know :) Thats what i mean though, I think it would be cool as hell to float all the way down and enjoy it rather than freefall... but id like to do both.

They dont really give Marines opportunities to take airborne, and if you do get it offered its usually part of a re-enlistment package
Go recon like me and you can jump all the time :saevilw:

and the free fall does not feel like falling, never did for me. Though a few of my friends claim it does for about 1.5 seconds. If you jump from a helo, air balloon, BASE jump etc. then it will also. Thing is from the plane you leave the plane already going 180 mph along with the lack of focul points to use to gauge speed. This does not allow for that increase in inertia. Freefall is my favorite part after actually leaving the plane.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Man i wish i had the equipment and/or knew the right people to be able to base jump. I watch some of those base jumping videos on the internet with wing suits... that shxt looks BADA$$

I need to become friends with Travis Pastrana! haha

vqPower

Awards
it is badass and worth every penny IMO. i didnt get an adrenaline rush though...i think i kept telling myself not to so i wouldnt freak out. hardest part was breathing after jumping out....im gonna cover my mouth next time so i can suck some air in.

dg806

dg806

Enologist/Brewmaster/Damn good guy
Awards
  • Established
I don't see jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dustinr334 Anabolics 2
Cellardude General Chat 39
anabolicrhino General Chat 3
General Chat 11