manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
i have a dvd player that supposedly plays .divx and .avi files....

Does anyone know what method is used to burn the .avi or divx to cd-r...? Do I just burn them as a data disc?

tattoopierced1

Nero vision will recode them to whatever disc format you want

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Nero is good, Power Iso, Magic ISO, DVD X Copy. I have used around 30 diff programs over time. Then again my app collection is ridiculousness(I have an external drive filled with tons of programs).

Dont burn it as a data, Actually burn it as a media disc. Simply use program that gives you the "Burn" option. dragging the file on doesnt work. And on a side note, I am not sure if you can do it on a CD-R or if it has to be a DVD-R to work in a DVD player.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
If it specifically says it can play divx files, then store it as a data disc.

Other encodings like normal DVD, VCD, and the like all have their own encoding to convert files formats; in other words the divx you burn as a DVD was encoded to another format as it went on the disc.

It it says it plays a file type like divx, it is meant to play it off a data disc.

dpfisher

Yeah my roommate has one of those it's sweet. Just burn the file to the disc and pop it in the drive. It will bring up a menu with a file listing and just select the file with the remote and press play.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
yea but the only problem is that most of the files are too large for cd-r so I guess I need to get a dvd burner

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
if it plays divx, you can burn as data, and it will work fine. I have a cheap $50 Philips, and it plays everything that those $300-$400 ones cannot play. I even play subtitles with my avi files. And the cool thing about it, I can stick a usb in it, and it plays the movies straight from the stick. If the files are too large for cd, then put a bunch of them on a dvd and play then the same way.
Philips DVP5960 DVD Player <<<<<has a usb slot as well.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I think I have the same one as you bro, minus the usb port....The only problem is I only have a cd-writer. I dont have a dvd-burner. I think they are pretty cheap now so I might get one.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
You can easily purchase a decent high speed DVD-R for ~$20 shipped. Look on newegg.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
thanks shaddow...so would you guys say there is a difference between like a $100 sony dvd-burner and a $30 samsung one quality wise? Like will there be a difference in the quality of the video?

Caferacer

Caferacer

Awards
  • Established
thanks shaddow...so would you guys say there is a difference between like a $100 sony dvd-burner and a $30 samsung one quality wise? Like will there be a difference in the quality of the video?
No, not really.

DVD burners are such old technology the cheaper components don't have any discernible difference from the high end stuff. Hell my DVD burner is an NEC if I remember correctly; $20 and 4 years later it still runs like a champ.