Double standard.

  1. New Member
    redline2101's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    135
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    65.15%

    Double standard.


    So i'm out with some people, a few are friends, a few I dont know. We decide to get dinner while were out. For some reason, this fat kid that I dont even know decided to question me. "Your skinny, do you ever eat?" I am skinny at my current weight, however I used to be 130 and have worked pretty damn hard to get where I am now, and am trying very hard to get to a weight i'm comfortable with. Therefore his comment made me mad, so I decided to reply with another question. "Wow your a big guy, you ever stop eating?". Everybody stops laughing at his joke, and now I'm the bad guy. Everybody decides to tell me that its rude and an **** move to make fun of someones weight. It seems like there is a real double standard going in this regard. I'm sure anybody who is or used to be skinny will probably have at least one similar story to tell. So why is it this way?

  2. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by redline2101 View Post
    So i'm out with some people, a few are friends, a few I dont know. We decide to get dinner while were out. For some reason, this fat kid that I dont even know decided to question me. "Your skinny, do you ever eat?" I am skinny at my current weight, however I used to be 130 and have worked pretty damn hard to get where I am now, and am trying very hard to get to a weight i'm comfortable with. Therefore his comment made me mad, so I decided to reply with another question. "Wow your a big guy, you ever stop eating?". Everybody stops laughing at his joke, and now I'm the bad guy. Everybody decides to tell me that its rude and an **** move to make fun of someones weight. It seems like there is a real double standard going in this regard. I'm sure anybody who is or used to be skinny will probably have at least one similar story to tell. So why is it this way?

    that's something i would have said way back when i was 120 ish sometimes it feels like all the fat guys want a pity party - like its someone elses fault they got obese, or they got hit by the fat bus - that's why they never saw it coming. i'll never understand it either.

    somehow they think us super skinny guys wanted to be that way, when even 10 pounds of fat gain can be a blessing to us.

    bottom line is, it boils down to maturity, and any fat person that whines about their "situation" yet won't do anything about it deserves no compassion from me
  3. Senior Member
    Red Dog's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,165
    Rep Power
    39387
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    59.24%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    ^^ this is pretty true -- it really does come down to maturity.

    double-standards are bull**** but they're everywhere.. from a social standpoint, calling someone skinny isn't usually taken as a negative remark -- but calling (or insinuating like in your example) someone fat usually is.. i would guess that is probably why people reacted that way to your comment -- he questioned your eating habits and you responded in a way that seems reasonable to me (i wouldn't have said the same thing but that's just because our personalities/social tendencies must be different)..

    no worries on this one though -- he put the **** next to the fan, not you.
    •   
       

  4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778050
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by redline2101 View Post
    Everybody decides to tell me that its rude and an **** move to make fun of someones weight. It seems like there is a real double standard going in this regard. I'm sure anybody who is or used to be skinny will probably have at least one similar story to tell. So why is it this way?
    thats what you should have asked them, and told them that you've worked hard to put on what weight you have, and its no less insulting to you, you skinny little bastard

    Actually I now don't really look fat except relatively speaking to a bunch of the guys here. For a 41 year old i'm definitely better than average by far.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Quote Originally Posted by suncloud View Post
    that's something i would have said way back when i was 120 ish sometimes it feels like all the fat guys want a pity party - like its someone elses fault they got obese, or they got hit by the fat bus - that's why they never saw it coming. i'll never understand it either.

    somehow they think us super skinny guys wanted to be that way, when even 10 pounds of fat gain can be a blessing to us.

    bottom line is, it boils down to maturity, and any fat person that whines about their "situation" yet won't do anything about it deserves no compassion from me
    You do realize you're still talking about a double standard, right? You're saying they want pity and don't know how hard it was to put on that weight etc yet give no nod to the fact some overweight people are in the same boat on the opposite end of things.

    Also, most people look at really skinnny people and assume it's a metabolism thing over a lack of working out/eating. Most people look at someone overweight and automatically assume it's them being lazy and/or eating too much. Double standards are all over the place but usually don't get noticed until their effect is felt.
  6. Advanced Member
    Liquid13's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    28
    Posts
    835
    Rep Power
    490
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    66.11%

    I was made fun of my entire school career growing up for being skinny. Ironic thing now is... I'm bigger than most of them now. I workout with an obese friend (6'3 310lbs.) and I can lift more on any exercise. That being said, anytime he calls me skinny I get a little fumed, lol. I can't wait for the day when people see me and don't think "skinny", but rather think "muscular". I think I have a good year before that will ever happen.
  7. New Member
    Minus83's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    196
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    26.23%

    If you say that everytime you see him you may save his life one day if your insults drive him to try and lose weight.

    I think there is definitely a double standard in this regard, for some reason obese people are seen as helpless, while if someone is skinny then its gotta be something they did to themselves.

    Its frustrating, i know alot of people on the board where the fat kid in high school, and alot were the skinny kid, the difference is we felt crappy about it, and decided to make a change. Alot of overweight people are fine about it, till they got to be 400+ lbs and then its "oh no! how did this happen?".

    In my opinion though, noone has any right to say anything to anyone else, he doesnt have any right to say youre skinny any more than you have the right to call him fat, but id be damned if someone was going to comment on my body and im not gonna return the favor.
  8. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    You do realize you're still talking about a double standard, right? You're saying they want pity and don't know how hard it was to put on that weight etc yet give no nod to the fact some overweight people are in the same boat on the opposite end of things.

    Also, most people look at really skinnny people and assume it's a metabolism thing over a lack of working out/eating. Most people look at someone overweight and automatically assume it's them being lazy and/or eating too much. Double standards are all over the place but usually don't get noticed until their effect is felt.
    i've seen those (i dated one in fact), and the rebuke is deserved and noted.
  9. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11680
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.65%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I think in the end it just comes down to respecting other people enough to not insult them when it isn't needed. Especially people that you have no clue on the entire situation and circumstances. Trying to motivate someone to making their life healthier is one thing but not to be confused to making their life healthier as YOU think they should be... However, insults will get insults when thrown in my direction. Don't fire off any if you're not prepared to recieve them as well.
  10. New Member
    redline2101's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    135
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    65.15%

    Yea I was mostly venting, it really made me mad, however I do have to say it is a good motivator.
  11. Elite Member
    suncloud's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  201 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,352
    Rep Power
    3262
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    30.82%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by redline2101 View Post
    Yea I was mostly venting, it really made me mad, however I do have to say it is a good motivator.
    you're getting there brotha. here's a link which hopefully has some new information in it, though you may already know these if you're consistently bulking Gaining mass in a nutshell (a big nutshell)
  12. Diamond Member
    Irish Cannon's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,615
    Rep Power
    74318
    Level
    68
    Lv. Percent
    43.15%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    I hate stupid comments like that. After working really hard to recomp over a few months, and making noticeable changes, some chick told me I looked the same...That was a kick in the nuts. Ya, I had my shirt on and all that so she couldn't tell, but it still hurts.

    Fat people don't have souls. Just remember that.

    No, just kidding...But really, don't feel bad about your comment. I probably would have said much worse, assuming it was someone I didn't know or had no ties to.
  13. Advanced Member
    BoyFromAus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    705
    Rep Power
    427
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    46.34%

    yea the double standard comes because there's a larger number of Obese people. Plus Obesity is always seen as a problem given that it's linked to heart disease, kidney failure, lack of fitness, depression and many other health problems. This is in contrast to skinny being linked to lack of nutrition and undereating.

    I used to be a fat guy myself. I'm still a bit fat, but i think with more hard work i'll get ripped soon.

    Bottom line, whether the dipsh*t is fat, skinny, tall, small, retarded or whatever, don't let his/her words discourage you. What they say should be used as more fuel for your fire. Because pretty soon you're gonna slap them in their ugly face, when you are ripped.
  14. New Member
    Minus83's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  275 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    169
    Rep Power
    196
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    26.23%

    Thought about this some more, and maybe that guys comment was coming from a place of insecurity, as opposed to trying to down you. Maybe hes jealous of you? There has to be some motivator for him to say that, id think it would come from a place of envy rather than hate, i mean you must have other skinny friends, or is everyone you hang out with overweight? has he said anything like that to them?

    I still think there is a double standard at work, and that joking about someone being smaller is still more acceptable than joking about someone being fatter, maybe people just need to mind their own business.
  15. dpfisher
    Guest
    dpfisher's Avatar

    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Cannon View Post
    I hate stupid comments like that. After working really hard to recomp over a few months, and making noticeable changes, some chick told me I looked the same...That was a kick in the nuts. Ya, I had my shirt on and all that so she couldn't tell, but it still hurts.
    Yeah people tell me I look the same as I did at 195 with no muscle as I do now, and people call me skinny... get it both ways lol
  16. Elite Member
    bolt10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    8,517
    Rep Power
    3576231
    Level
    80
    Lv. Percent
    76.72%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

    i don't wanna sound mean but i probably woulda said the same thing! The difference tho is if it was with my group of friends the second someone says something about you its fair game to get em back...you have some uptight friends! there are some things that are off limit with my friends of course but ur comeback wasn't even that bad..

    but i get what Jayhawkk and others are saying cuz i wouldn't just say it to some random person who said it to me(but i doubt id be talking to a random person as well..)
    PES Representative
    Don't miss out on the next deal:
    http://pescience.com/insider
    Protein Backed by Science: http://selectprotein.com
  17. Advanced Member
    manny1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    722
    Rep Power
    881
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    28.91%

    The ones that comment, are usually the ones that are not happy with their look. They always try to make other people feel bad.
  18. Banned
    Iron Lungz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,785
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    You should have kept your mouth shut, waited later in the evening when you are away from everyone's eye, then punched him directly in the throat. That usually eradicates future wise-cracks from happening, and will teach him a lesson in manners.

    But yes, there does seem to be a double standard. To be honest with you, it's life; you will have a double standard for everything. Maybe next time (If you don't take my first advice), tell him how hard you have worked to get to where you are now. Maybe he needs someone to help him, and you could be that person. It could have been a simple case of a door-opening comment. He may want help, and looks at you as someone that he wants to look like.
  19. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,851
    Rep Power
    778050
    Level
    95
    Lv. Percent
    26.47%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lungz View Post
    You should have kept your mouth shut, waited later in the evening when you are away from everyone's eye, then punched him directly in the throat. That usually eradicates future wise-cracks from happening, and will teach him a lesson in manners.
    and might help him eat less, so a win-win the whole way around
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  20. Banned
    Iron Lungz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,785
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    51
    Lv. Percent
    6.89%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    and might help him eat less, so a win-win the whole way around

    My hidden message!
  21. Advanced Member
    manny1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    31
    Posts
    722
    Rep Power
    881
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    28.91%

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    and might help him eat less, so a win-win the whole way around


    LMAO!
  22. New Member
    buuzer0's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    451
    Rep Power
    296
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    9.13%

    Honestly I would have said, "no, I never eat. Ever. That's how i keep my girlish figure." totally deadpan and while taking a bite of my food.

    That or I would have said, "of course I eat, but I'm going to go throw up as soon as I'm done". Again, totally deadpan and looking him in the eye.

    That, or just ignored him.

    Seriously... dumb questions should get dumb answers. I don't think you're wrong for what you said, it was the first thing that came into my mind but I don't know if I would have said it to someone I didn't know. If it were a friend though, a fat joke is gonna fly.
  23. New Member
    redline2101's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  168 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    23
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    135
    Level
    10
    Lv. Percent
    65.15%

    Well the thing is he wasn't a friend with me specifically. And the group of friends I agree is uptight. Iron Lungz, thanks for the advice man, noted for future use. anyways, thanks for the responses thus far, its helpful to see that I'm not the only one that knows what I'm talking about.
  24. New Member
    Jeremy Brown's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    315
    Level
    17
    Lv. Percent
    93.34%

    i show no pitty to the obese... why? because nobody showed any to me when i was 5'9 205, 20-ish% BF. i took the initiative to do something about it myself... dropped from 205 to 155 with a ton of cardio, they put on 15 lbs of muscle, currently around 15% BF (dont know exact). if i can do it just like so many others so can they... credit and pity are given where credit and pity are due...
  25. New Member
    Lacradocious's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    34
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    285
    Level
    16
    Lv. Percent
    19.52%

    People used to make fun of me and call me names for being skinny and I never felt the need to make crass comments to fat people. I don't see any problem with what you said to the guy and wouldn't care what anyone else thinks. If he is gonna run his mouth about how you look, then he's fair game and opened that can of worms on his own.
  26. New Member
    tlee05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    79
    Level
    4
    Lv. Percent
    15.9%

    Quote Originally Posted by Lacradocious View Post
    People used to make fun of me and call me names for being skinny and I never felt the need to make crass comments to fat people. I don't see any problem with what you said to the guy and wouldn't care what anyone else thinks. If he is gonna run his mouth about how you look, then he's fair game and opened that can of worms on his own.
    Agreed!
  27. New Member
    Caferacer's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  206.5 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    328
    Rep Power
    271
    Level
    15
    Lv. Percent
    16.88%

    I'm always an ******* with these kinds of things. I probably would have said "yea, but I'm working to change it. Some people aren't happy the way they are and want to change. Others *nod to him* seem to be perfectly happy, *laugh* for better or worse."

    Either that or "What, are you getting hungry and sizing me up or something?"
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Standard PCT's
    By Colbert in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM
  2. First PH Cycle - Mini or Standard?
    By LifterBR in forum Supplements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM
  3. Standard labs for HRT?
    By Knowbull in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 07:54 PM
  4. standard dosages + or -
    By realsoundjim in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 09:16 PM
  5. Standard Nutrition: Fat!
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-28-2002, 06:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in